[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the best books in the horror genre out there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Ferris Wheel on Fire.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ferris Wheel on Fire.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
What are some of the best books in the horror genre out there?
>>
>inb4 stephen 'the memer' king
>>
The consumer by Michael Gira
>>
>>7791602
The King in Yellow
>>
Horror is not literature
>>
The Great God Pan.

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

The King in Yellow
>>
Was Jeff Mangum a pedophile?
>>
>>7791629

>The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

Literally wat

It was not horror by any means, just a generic adventure novella which even Poe didn't think too much of.

The obscene amount of racism did make the last section funny as hell tho.
>>
>>7791630
>Was Jeff Mangum a pedophile?
No, he was a true patrician and went on to create some of the best music that has ever existed.
>>
>>7791638
Doesn't mean he wasn't a pedophile.
>>
>>7791633
The final chapter is an early example of cosmic horror, which the rest of the book builds up to.

Also, the book is far from generic, it has plenty of interesting elements that seperate it from the average 19th century adventure novel.
>>
>>7791643
Hey, who could blame him? Anne Frank was finnnee as fuck.
>>
>>7791624
G8 b8 m8
>>
>>7791602
Read Thomas Ligotti
>>
>>7791638
Being attracted to 15 year olds makes no one on Earth a pedophile.
>>
The White People best horror short story
>>
My dad once told me about a horror story set in the Amazonian rainforest. Basically some evil spirit would grab our feverish explorer protagonists and drag them through the forest to drive them insane or kill them.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?
>>
>>7792084
heart of darkness
>>
>>7791606
>I dont like what you don't like, so it's a "meme"

Get over yourself you pedophile.
>>
>>7791622
The King in Yellow was actually pretty boring for me. Maybe because I was expecting something as good as True Detective.
>>
>>7792218
I can get that. It's pretty proto- horror so it leaves some desiring more spooks
>>
>>7792223
Yeah. I mean, all those romantic horror stories aren't really very spookie anymore. Speaking of horror stories, I've watched The Witch last Saturday. Excellent horror movie.
>>
>>7792232
Yeah I'm pretty pumped on that movie, I need it in my life.
>>
>>7792236
The director mentioned in an interview The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff as an inspiration/source.
>>
>>7792218
>>7792223
It's only the first 4 stories that are horror, the rest of it is complete shite.

In the Court of the Dragon is probably my favorite horror story of all time, though. I'd like some of whatever Chambers was smoking when he wrote that.
>>
>>7791602
Read Ligotti, Nick Land, Thacker, Machen, Lovecraft.
>>
>>7792243
It was already on my to-read but it has now jumped up a few laces
>>
File: aptlowep_op_445x600.jpg (73 KB, 445x600) Image search: [Google]
aptlowep_op_445x600.jpg
73 KB, 445x600
M R James is hand down the best ghost story writer out there. Some of his stories are genuinely creepy and they are so well paced and atmospheric. If you like him I also recommend the M R James podcast.
>>
Some stories for you to check out:

M R James - Oh Whistle and I'll come to you, my lad
H P Lovecraft - The rats in the walls
Clark Ashton Smith - The vaults of yoh-vombis
Laird Barron - Hand of Glory
Thomas Ligotti - Last feast of the harlequin
Nathan Ballingrud- The Atlas to Hell/ or The Good Husband
>>
>>7792467

I'm >>7792516

M R James is amazing, I've read half his stories so far. They've aged extremely well imo
>>
Stephen King memes aside some of his short stories are decent. Mostly because he doesn't have the same pressure/desire to write happy endings. More often than not shit goes south and stays there in his short stories. Night Shift is a decent collection.
>>
House of Leaves is the meme answer (and it was a horror story, not a love story or whatever else anyone might tell you while lying through his teeth).
>>
File: 6375785.jpg (53 KB, 310x400) Image search: [Google]
6375785.jpg
53 KB, 310x400
>>7791602
Sorry that you're getting such shitty recommendations, OP; here's some actual, legit fucked up works that will leave you spooked:
-Story of the eye
-The Painted Bird
-The Torture Garden
-Moravagine
-Dark Spring
-(if you're into serial killer non-fiction) Exquisite corpse: surrealism and the black dahlia murder
>>
turn of the motherfuckin screw nigga
real talk bredren nahmsayin
>>
>>7793914
So when will weed be legal, do you think?
>>
Meeting Evil. It's short and intense, very good read. Some would argue it's more a thriller than horror, which I can kinda see, but I'd put it in the horror camp personally.
>>
>>7792084
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
>>
>>7792424
I like Ligotti. I really do, but I have a problem where in Noctuary I felt that he was reusing the same formula for a few stories. There were some great gems in there without a doubt. It's just half of the book was either hit or miss.
>>
>>7791622
>>7791629
The Yellow Sign was spectacular.
>>
>>7792142
>pedophile
remember that child orgy in It?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.