[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A while ago I read on here that the best way for an unknown author
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Beethoven.jpg (450 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Beethoven.jpg
450 KB, 1920x1080
A while ago I read on here that the best way for an unknown author whose works are neither published nor containing the generic formulas likely to ensure publication to proceed is to create an army of short stories. I remember reading that with such an army, the unknown author has a better chance of having his larger works published if the smaller ones are accepted into journals or magazines.

More for the pleasure and satisfaction found in creating short stories than to adhere to the advice, I wrote a number of them over the last few months and have just finished editing the tenth. I am ready to send them out to a magazines and have found lists online consisting of a variety of them that accept unsolicited entries.

My problem, brothers, is that I find the process intolerable and so I have come to you in hopes of finding someone who knows what to do to make it bearable. The thought alone of sending out mechanical messages asking to be considered for publication after reading through mediocre archives to see which of my works would fit best produces the sort of fatigue makes it more difficult to do this than to write and edit. Before I am repulsed from here by those of you who would say 'just get over it and start sending emails' I will tell you that that is what I am planning to do; I only figured maybe one of you has a better way to go about it.

Thanks in advance and if I am published, I would be genuinely flattered if you guys would deign to read my work. Your criticism is worth no less than that of my mother.
>>
Take amphetamines constantly like every short story writer worth his salt
>>
>>7790404
They're not so easy to find when you're no longer on a college campus brother; I'm ashamed to ask high schoolers.
>>
>>7790534
Look into getting a prescription for adderall. Combine that shit with some high sativa wax and you'll be floating in the air crackling with electricity. You'll get the emails and 3 and half more short stories done before the night is over
>>
>>7790544
I've considered it but I've tried it enough times to know how likely I would be to develop an addiction; it's not easy to come off them once you're hooked.
>>
>>7790555
No it's not, and you can reach the point where you slip into psychosis and start developing elaborate, almost schizophrenic like delusions, but at that point you'll genuinely with all of your heart and soul doubt that the world you knew was ever real and that these "delusions" are actually divine revelations that lead you to the truth. You won't be the same after this ever again, high or sober.
>>
I dont know what position you are in financially, hopefully writing isn't your road to success. If that's the case and you think these ten stories honestly represent your current quality of writing (if you think the 10th was twice as good as the first because you've developed as a writer then consider writing more) then you should get them printed and bound (not book binding, manuscript binding).

what youre trying to do is differentiate yourself; lots of people write shitty stories, but not many will take the time and money to have them printed.
>>
>>7790568
>schizophrenic like delusions
I've fallen into psychosis once before and I don't know if it is at all related, but occasionally my thoughts assume a trajectory that I would be tempted to consider a schizophrenic delusion if only I were not aware of the line that separates those thoughts from the reality surrounding me. If that line were to deteriorate, I imagine a man would be deemed insane. But when the line is present and discernible, these 'schizophrenic delusions' for lack of a better term, have provided me with inspiration for a lot of the stories I have written; it is a distention of reality that produces a surreal effect which if manifested from thought to paper, leads to a work that is, if not completely original, at least enough so to satisfy me.

Not sure if we're thinking of the same thing; my state wasn't induced by adderall but an accidental intake of meth so it might very well lead to the same thing.
>>
>>7790584
I appreciate the advice. I definitely see the most recent as technically better than the first and would not even consider to stop, only to go back to the novel form for the time being.

I don't do it for financial gain, although only a liar would tell you he would not like that to come from it. I am more interested in reaching a wider audience now and getting published in a diverse array of magazines because I have novels that I have completed and that I believe will have a better chance to be published if I can tell agents that I've had stories published in numerous magazines.
>>
>>7790592
I've seen that very thing happen to my best friend, who actually has schizophrenia, where he completely broke contact from reality for two months. It was a powerful catalyst for my realization of just how far we went trying to decode the secret knowledge of creation. In the same way, many parts of the story I'm writing are inspired by the conversations I had with my friend during his breakdown and after when he began to analyze what had just happened.

Honestly, there are times when I'm actively trying to reach a state of psychosis just because it's always an experience that pushes my limits as a person.
>>
>>7790618
It was years ago that I experienced it and have continually wondered since then what I would derive from it now. Then, it was horrifying because I didn't know what was happening but to expect it would provide for an altogether difference experience. If the opportunity to willingly go into the state came to me, I would hesitate and maybe even decline; that the occasional sort of disruptions occur, even if for an instant, is quite enough for me. To have them occur more often and risk that they assume an inconspicuous character that makes it difficult to distinguish them from reality sounds like a nightmare, although I'm sure it would lead to a greater abundance of ideas for work.

How do you actively try to reach the state; I hope you're not swallowing a dangerous amount of pills.
>>
>>7790640
My technique is mostly just taking progressively larger doses of amphetamines, in whatever form I could get my hands on, then doing the same with hash oil until I start feeling like Stormy in the Stimutacs episode of Sealab. I never really break through into psychosis fully though.
>>
>>7790652
Maybe because you're taking them in progressively large doses as opposed to something beyond what your mind is prepared for. Mine was induced by ecstasy cut with meth; I had never tried either and I think it was the shock resulting from the novelty of the substances that was responsible. I have a buddy who suffered the state for two weeks and his was induced by smoking spice for the first time, which leads me to assume that if you are even in the slightest accustomed or prepared for the substance, it will not take you beyond your awareness.
>>
>>7790702
This is where you descend into the Sisyphus like torments of trying to reach new highs but slowly realizing that your highs are only going to get progressively weaker each time and there's no way to stop the decline.

Maybe that's what I need to do though, just jump into something I've never tried before that my body isn't ready to handle.
>>
File: 1441680473709.jpg (22 KB, 428x217) Image search: [Google]
1441680473709.jpg
22 KB, 428x217
Just send the fucking stories OP, there's no point in overthinking this.

If it bothers you that much then just make a blog and put them there.
>>
>>7790720
>If it bothers you that much then just make a blog and put them there.
I guess this will be my last resort, thanks for the idea.
>>
>>7790568
you sound like a fucking moron
>>
>>7790783
Damn anon, what do you mean?
>>
>>7790388
Do your research before sending the magazines your manuscripts. Some of them only accept stories written by the editor's friends and family, even if they say that they accept unsolicited submissions.
>>
>>7790800
How can you know if that's the case? I've already looked into a few magazines and none of them have anything like that mentioned in what they have written regarding submissions.

>>7790783
No, he doesn't, you likely just don't know what he's talking about.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.