[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I expand my vocabulary?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1452916719469.png (20 KB, 176x158) Image search: [Google]
1452916719469.png
20 KB, 176x158
How do I expand my vocabulary?
>>
READ!
>>
read more

learn languages start with greek

don't go to public schools
>>
Theorem: You can expand your vocabulary if and only if you expose yourself to new words.

Proof: Suppose it is false that you can expand your vocabulary if and only if you expose yourself to new words. Then, you can expand your vocabulary by not exposing yourself to new words, and conversely, you can expose yourself to new words without expanding your vocabulary. But words do not generate themselves ex nihilo in your mind. This is a contradiction. Thus, we have proved our theorem. QED.
>>
>>7790122
I'm not kidding, this is the most pretentious post I've seen recently. Congratulations, anon
>>
File: 1417912966033.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1417912966033.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
>>7790122
>>
>>7790073
>>7790078
I read a lot and don't feel like I have a strong vocabulary. Any more specific tips? Should I keep a dictionary handy when I'm reading? Should I quiz myself on new words I encounter? What's the point of learning new words if I hardly ever get to use them, and if people find me pretentious when I do?
>>
>>7790122
That's a logical fallacy.
>>
>>7790166
Yes, you should always read with access to a dictionary, preferably online.

Your vocabulary isn't improving because you're either reading material that isn't written with relatively-esoteric language or you aren't trying to use the new words when you speak.

You can spend all day remembering a word's definition, but if you don't start introducing it into your speaking you will never feel the need to use it.
>>
>>7790171
But which fallacy is it anon?
>>
>>7790166
Actually read things that have a greater vocabulary that you do. I don't think looking up words is that important. I largely learned English by just consuming English media and guessing meaning by context without a direct translation. I assume it's the same for native speakers.
>>
>>7790070
Through reading and nothing else. If you look up difficult words on purpose, you end up sounding as pretentious as >>7790122
>>
>>7790070
read a book instead of shit posting

learn a language instead of shit posting

study philology and semiotics instead of shit posting
>>
>>7790070
Learn Russian.

Nabokov said it himself that had he not been a Russian speaker he'd have never seen the beauty of language.
>>
>>7790171
Your mother is a logical fallacy.
Please learn some actual logic before you shitpost next time.

Theorem: P<-> Q

Proof:
1. ~(P<->Q)
2. ~(P->Q&Q->P)
3. ~(P->Q) & ~(Q->P)
4. P&~Q & Q&~P
5. Q&~P
6. ~(Q&~P)
7. falsum (5, 6)
8. P<->Q
>>
>>7790181
If A doesn't lead to B, not doing A leads to B.

I'm not patrician enough to give it a name.
>>
You can't improve you're vocab considerably past the age of 13.

You're fucked.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.