[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's funny how when a true intellectual writes a novel,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: hwv-e-ww.jpg (161 KB, 500x574) Image search: [Google]
hwv-e-ww.jpg
161 KB, 500x574
It's funny how when a true intellectual writes a novel, it doesn't need one single bit of obscurantism. It's funny how it doesn't use the references / depth as a passport to keep people out / "challenge them" (as DFW put it) but to add extra enjoyment to people who happen to have the knowledge, while doing nothing to deter more casual readers (similarly to The Simpsons, kek).
>>
redditors and millennials like DFW books and referential humour because it makes them feel like they could come up with the same thing

its so easy for instance to reference something for a laugh rather than figure out an actual joke with a coherent punchline that is actually funny

contrast your example, the simpsons to a reddit show like rick and morty which is just references or a man burping a lot and acting silly
>>
>>7789868
>implying art is exclusively for the observer
>>
>>7789868
But Borges was a true intellectual and many of his stories only seemed obscurantist. He probably embedded philosophical concepts and erudite knowledge in his writing more fluidly than any writer before him, and was without doubt more graceful at it than sf writers.
>>
simpsons references like ten unique things every episode
>>
>>7789868

what did einstein say? if you can't explain it to a 5 year old, then it means you don't understand it well enough.
>>
>>7789892

DESU, the problem is that it really CAN be explained to a five year old.

>"Daddy, why does James Joyce / DFW have a long boring sentence that is slightly incongruent with respect to the rest of the paragraph in terms of tone and / or vocabulary?"
>"Well Jimmy, he is simply referencing *obscure bit of Norse mythology / Shakespeare passage / Bible passage even though irl we're all liberal degenerates who laugh at religious people or look at the condescendingly like we do kids*! You see in the bit he's referencing, a woman picks up a cup. In his story, a woman doesn't pick up a cup. Don't you see what level of depth and complexity this brings?"
>".......Daddy, pass me the baseball!"

Now try to explain how Nabokov writes so well to a five year old. Try to explain how certain "talentless hacks" can repeatedly write "page turners" (i.e. enjoyable books)? 90000001 MFA students later, and nobody has any fucking clue. College professors can't describe it to college students, nvm adults to children.
>>
I'm going to write a novel which is difficult so that the reader will feel silly trying to find any meaning in it. (I will tell the reader outright that there is no real meaning and it is nonsense. But it won't be.)
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 640x1136
>>7789868
what's the point of reading a book if it's not even a little bit challenging? For the """""wisdom"""""? Baw. Watch a movie, listen to a TEDtalk, jesus.
>>
>>7789967
What is Finnegans Lake?
>>
>>7789878
>Rick and Morty
>Reddit

Sure is buzzword in here.
>>
>>7789914
You're a reductionist idiot.
>>
File: arthur-schopenhauer.jpg (113 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
arthur-schopenhauer.jpg
113 KB, 1024x768
>>7790204

Obscurantist has arrived.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.