[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does /lit/ feel about leaves of grass? personally i think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 327x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 327x500
how does /lit/ feel about leaves of grass?
personally i think the syntax is pretty weak and Whitman gets really indulgent at times but its still a beautiful and impactful epic.
>>
>>7789649
Hippie bullshit. Read Frost or Hardy.
>>
A wonderful novel about the joys of homosexuality. How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths!
>>
>>7789671
>novel

Is that some kind of Nabokov-tier review?
>>
File: 1455068073340.jpg (34 KB, 214x400) Image search: [Google]
1455068073340.jpg
34 KB, 214x400
beautiful but boring in a nutshell. "A whitmanian nutshell" if you will.
>>
>>7789659
>Frost
Nah I got enough of that in High School, thank you.
>>
>>7789649
Song of Myself is one of the greatest poems of the western canon. A lot of the rest is great but he turns pretty hackish later in life.
>>
>>7790506

I have no idea what the hell Song of Myself is about. I like Walt's other major poems, but I don't get Song of Myself at all.
>>
>>7790659
It's like Pocahantas. It's just Whitman telling you about the grass, telling you about the wind, telling you his point of view, making sweet sweet chaste masturbatory love to your mind. He don't give a shit about being "About Something, Dude", he IS the something, and everything, and you are too...
I think
>>
>>7790659
Whitman almost establishes his own religion with that poem. It is based around how nature and grass in particular can speak to us and how much he has gained by listening to it, and why it's important for you to listen to it too.
>>
>>7790659
Song of myself is about psychedelia. Everything pulsing loving orgiastically vibrating and melting into itsef. Take 1200 micrograms and read it.
>>
On the Beach at Night Alone
Walt Whitman, 1819 - 1892

On the beach at night alone,
As the old mother sways her to and fro, singing her husky song,
As I watch the bright stars shining, I think a thought of the clef of the universes, and of the future.

A vast similitude interlocks all,
All spheres, grown, ungrown, small, large, suns, moons, planets
All distances of place however wide,
All distances of time, all inanimate forms,
All souls, all living bodies, though they be ever so different, or in different worlds,
All gaseous, watery, vegetable, mineral processes, the fishes, the brutes,
All nations, colors, barbarisms, civilizations, languages,
All identities that have existed, or may exist, on this globe, or any globe,
All lives and deaths, all of the past, present, future,
This vast similitude spans them, and always has spann’d,
And shall forever span them and compactly hold and enclose them.
>>
Emerson and Whitman were shmucks.
>>
>>7790792
oh god. you didn't understand anything, did you?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.