[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes poetry and philosophy different?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: twaincat.jpg (729 KB, 952x1356) Image search: [Google]
twaincat.jpg
729 KB, 952x1356
What makes poetry and philosophy different?
>>
>>7789544
Poetry gives you direct access to being itself while most philosophy gets stuck in metaphysics (at best).
>>
>>7789544

nothing. you can throw psychology in there as well while you're at it.
>>
>>7789544
What, this old quarrel?
>>
>>7789561
Any good examples of poems that succeed at that?
>>
>>7789544
Logic
>>
>>7789561
Please, poetry is an imitation of an imitation, and that much further removed from the truth.

Only philosophy gets at the truth
>>
This has to be the worst bait of the day. And I went through a lot of r9k threads today
>>
>>7789589
Philosophy was a failed experiment. All it has successfully done was shiw how to refute arguments. Just like science philosophy proves nothing can only definitely disprove or discredit something. It was suposed to bring people together to find truth but instead it just has people pushing arguments further back until we're sitting on our personal beliefs about the nature of reality and we are no closer to answering ehat the question at hand was. Unless you ask if something is a good argument, that can be answered by philosophy.
>>
>>7789582
Take a look at Hölderlin and Rilke for example. Especially Mnemosyne.
>>
>>7789582
All of Shakespeare's sonnets
Rimbaud
Whitman (particularly
Dickinson
Coleridge
>>
>>7789606
2 questions:
Do you consider Kierkegaard as art or philosophy?
>>
>>7789632
Not that guy, but Kierkegaard often referred to himself as a poet. However, he also continues the great philosophical tradition and critiques poetry, saying that poetry cannot get at the highest love, and so it is ultimately not that great.

Source: Works of Love
>>
>>7789606
You're thinking of sophistry, not philosophy.

Which philosophers have you read?
>>
>>7789589
You sound like you just finished Bertrand Russels chapters on the greeks.
>>
>>7789644

What can get at the highest love, anon?
>>
>>7789589
Whenever people suggest that all poems are further removed from human experience than philosophy, I wonder whether they've ever had a genuine, significant experience between themselves and the world
>>
>>7789606
Exactly. This is why philosophy was so successful in deconstructing itself. Philosophy essentially destroyed itself, showing itself to be utterly baseless.
>>
>>7789660
Only Christianity.

You shall love your neighbor is a command that never occurred in the pagan world.

In a rush at dinner, but erotic and preferential love is the only love in the pagan world and it's all that poets write about.

The Christian world introduces universal love, loving everyone as your neighbor, an eternal love, and a higher love.

There's more to it but I'm going to eat right now
>>
>>7789716
>In a rush at dinner, but erotic and preferential love is the only love in the pagan world and it's all that poets write about.
>The Christian world introduces universal love, loving everyone as your neighbor, an eternal love, and a higher love.
Have you heard of this German guy called Schiller?
>>
>>7789632
That guy, I'd say art, but art can make a statement, I think the aesthetic and form have a lot nore to do with the value and the message is an added bonus.
>>
>>7789582
Literally all of Hart Crane's poetry.
>>
>>7789647
I've taken a few philosophy courses where we read a few of the more recent writers and a section or 2 from from The Republic. Most of my opinion is from watching philosophy majors discuss and debate in class and everything very quickly devolved into definitions and the discussions never seemed to end on a legitimate concensus unless one of the people debating got shitty, just backed down or wasn't able to keep up. I never saw 2 people of equal intelligence reach an agreement unless they were very close to one from the begining.
>>
>>7789589

...so you haven't gotten past the greeks yet...

>>7789561

I mostly agree with this guy. The primary difference between poetry and philosophy is the ways in which poets and philosophers differ in their approach to language. The philosopher is rigid, and chooses his/her words with a certain dogmatism. The philosopher usually attempts to arrive at truth by whittling words down to their "essence" or "truth" or whatever. The poet, on the other hand, attempts to give words new lives and new possible meanings.
>>
File: Walt_Whitman_and_Bill_Duckett.jpg (224 KB, 888x1218) Image search: [Google]
Walt_Whitman_and_Bill_Duckett.jpg
224 KB, 888x1218
Poets disguise their ignorance and little babby philosophical ideas behind beautiful images and obscurity. They're also usually gay.
>>
>>7789621

NOT Shakespeare's sonnets. If you want to grasp the Human-being in Shakespeare you need to read his plays--or better, see them performed by skilled actors under a competent and conscientious director.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.