[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I go about finding a writing mentor? I made the mistake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: writing-1.jpg (68 KB, 488x285) Image search: [Google]
writing-1.jpg
68 KB, 488x285
How do I go about finding a writing mentor?

I made the mistake of being mentored by someone European asswipe I met on a IMDB board. I showed him a script I wrote and he said it was bad and I should drop the script and do some other story. He didn't even give me any proper critique and didn't care to articulate what was wrong with it.

I don't care if a mentor hates my writing. I just care that a mentor can guide me in the right direction to make my writing better. I think my biggest thing is that my writing lacks voice so a mentor would help push me in the right direction.
>>
Why don't you let some books be your mentor(s)?

A lot of what I've learned from writing, I've learned from novels and short stories and plays. Faulkner and Melville and Homer and Shakespeare and more have taught me a great deal.
>>
>>7789050
I've been attempting to make more time for reading books. It's really tough with school and work. But agreed. Good old reading is the best way to learn about writing and to improve your writing.

But having my mom read my stuff and saying she loved it and my friends going "It's good" is all nice and boosts my self esteem, but constructive criticism is very welcome too which is what I need.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.