[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
transitioning to fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: fsf0412lg.jpg (52 KB, 391x569) Image search: [Google]
fsf0412lg.jpg
52 KB, 391x569
Hey /lit/,

Does anyone have advice on applying writing abilities to fiction/storytelling?

As a child I loved fiction. but as a teenager I pretty much exclusively read non-fiction - articles, essays, and informative books. I read constantly, but mostly ignored fiction for those years. Then, in college, I started reading fiction again. Early in college I wrote a short story that was pretty good, and was highlighted by an instructor, but then I churned out a bunch of atrocious, awful short stories. I'd applied minimal effort to them, so when I learned from others how awful they were, it was essentially just bringing me back down to earth, that I didn't have the Midas touch.
Still, I've always been able to write essays and opinion pieces pretty effortlessly, and I assume it's at least in part because that's what I consumed so much of as a teenager. Now I'm reading fiction a ton to catch up with that.
So the question is, how to I transition my abilities in non-fiction to fiction/storytelling? I can write an opinion piece effortlessly, but maybe because I'm so self-conscious about my fiction now, sometimes it's hard to even get going with fiction.
>>
/bump/ for hope...
>>
first of all learn to use paragraphs

second, just write a lot of fiction and don't expect it to be good

simultaneously read a lot of good fiction, study what makes them good, and hope it trickles into your own writing

that's pretty much it

I suppose you could try creative nonfiction first but all this really doesn't matter
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.