[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we stop the fetishization of books? I suggest we do it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: gr8 tips!.jpg (97 KB, 620x930) Image search: [Google]
gr8 tips!.jpg
97 KB, 620x930
How do we stop the fetishization of books?

I suggest we do it by burning a big ole pile of children's abridged books. No child should read a plot-only version of Moby Dick with pictures on every page.
>>
You are retarded
>>
>>7788498
>burning a big ole pile of children's abridged books. No child should read a plot-only version of Moby Dick with pictures on every page.

Let us know how going to jail for burning little kids works out.
>>
>>7788498
>How do we stop the fetishization of books?

It's a non issue

In a few years digital will have taken over completely.
>>
>>7788540
But muh vinyl!
>>
>>7788567
is still fairly niche compared to other physical media, and digital has still taken over most of the market. this is how it will be w/ everything. a big old library that you'd see in historical dramas would like a shrine to literature in the future, I suppose.
>>
>>7788498
this is a fucking retarded thread but it reminds me of something

>be me, 8 years old
>spend summers at cabin in North Dakota
>town with less than 1000 people probably 15 miles away
>usually go to that town once a week to get groceries, I would go to the very tiny library
>check out HG Well's "The Time Machine"
>read it
>eight or nine years later
>in English class
>unit on social commentary in dystopian works
>someone brings up "The Time Machine"
>says that "it has a really interesting take on communism and on segregation of classes"
>get mad
>"What are you talking about? It's just a dumb adventure book where the main character sees some weird monkeys!"
>everyone in the class looks at me like I'm a retard
>confused
>go home
>google the book
>turns out that it's a real book
>I had only read pic related, which had most of the social commentary shit cut out to make it better for kids
>>
>>7788498
>fetishization
I think you mean "aesthetic", and you can't. It's been a thing for thousands of years.
>>
>>7789325
Oh man I used to have a set of these, all I remember is White Fang though. Were they really that bad? I haven't re read any of them, I wonder if my perception is fucked
>>
>>7789325
I read the Great Illustrated Classics version of Dickens' Great Expectations when I was younger. Turns out it was basically the same.
>>
>>7788498
got some tips for you senpaii
>people who buy books because they fetishize books are supporting your favourite authors
>people who buy books because they fetishize books who don't buy them from your favourite authors don't affect you
>people who paint bricks to look like books don't affect you either
>>
>>7788567
haven't you heard? even CDs are out now. thank you based Kanye for bringing us to the future.
>>
I fetishize books, I admit.
I have constantly 40 loans at the municipal library, and 15 at the national library.
And 45 other on my two friends and my father's national card. Thank God I don't know anybody else with a municipal library card.
>>
>>7788498
Sometimes I just stare at my book collection. It looks so pretty.

I feel so happy when I start to read one.

I feel so happy when I finish one and get to start another.

Sometimes I just stare at my book collection. It looks so pretty.
>>
>>7789325
You should of got mad, the book has no takd on communisum lol
>>
>>7789887
why tho... it's not like you could possibly read all of them before they're due back, you're just preventing other people from reading
>>
>>7789896
I know.
I can have them for 2 months, and very often I keep them two months, give them back, and get them again...

If somebody wants to read them, they just have to reserve them, and I can't renew the loan anymore and have to give them back.

I don't know why I do this, I guess it's because I don't know what I want to read, and what I want to read changes all the time. It takes me forever to finish a book, but by six months I'll have finished like 20 books.
>>
>>7789887
Jesus Christ, never thought I'd actually see a living Oxford Cleric.
>>
>>7789894
it has, though, ask h.g.
>>
>>7788540
Ebook sales have actually leveled out in the last few years.
>>
>>7788532
>go to jail for burning books
what shitty non-free country to you live in?
>>
>>7788498
Lets burn the bricks instead
>>
>>7789325
Where in North Dakota were you? I'm from the SE part of the state.
>>
>>7788498
>not painting a roof tile for gatsby
>>
>>7788498
Why do you care?
>>
>>7788498
you should never burn a book, no matter how pleb
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.