[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the weirdest young adult series you got into when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 20
File: blair witch.jpg (96 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
blair witch.jpg
96 KB, 800x600
What's the weirdest young adult series you got into when you were a kid?

Pic related.
>>
File: dragonshit.jpg (111 KB, 820x483) Image search: [Google]
dragonshit.jpg
111 KB, 820x483
i only read the first four (i grew up) but...
>pic related
>>
L ron hubbards mission earth ... huh.
>>
i remember reading a lot of deltora quest

>>7787217
oh god i remember checking out battlefirled earth because the librarian was like "this dude started a religion" and i thought that was cool af
>>
>>7787097
>fire
>fire
>fire
who was in charge of naming these?
>>
>>7787231
FUCKIN DELTORA HOLY SHIT THAT WAS MY JAM

also the artemis fowl books
>>
it was this martial arts series where they made a big deal of who the main character's fathers and mothers are and everyone has animal based kung fu
>>
>>7787279
was it the Five Ancestors series? that shit was cash.

weirdest series I read was probably Warriors. and I only read it because this girl I was friends with was super into it.
>>
Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan. I started his Demonata series too but grew out of it before the series was finished. This is what comes to mind for me when people talk about shitty book-movie adaptations.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (325 KB, 1888x1996) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
325 KB, 1888x1996
>>
>>7787328
yeah dude five ancestors. fuck me that shit was so good
>>
Gor series was in my highschool library amongst all the sword&magic
>>
File: edgechronicles.jpg (52 KB, 320x500) Image search: [Google]
edgechronicles.jpg
52 KB, 320x500
From what I recall, the edge chronicles was very fucking patrician...I should check it out again. Did anybody else read these?
>>
Any half-decent young adult series to blast through in a few days?
>>
File: 287892.jpg (41 KB, 318x411) Image search: [Google]
287892.jpg
41 KB, 318x411
the infinite jest of YA fic
>>
>>7787332
Someone mentioned Darren Shan to me the other day, but I don't remember the context because I was drunk
>>
>>7787951
ok
>>
>>7787097
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these books feature fire.
>>7787340
this seems like some Douglas Adams rip-off
>>7787574
Check. Fucking awesome bro, the writer wasn't afraid to kill off important character and the art was gorgeous and imaginative. I think they ended up with like 10 books though, and the latter ones weren't as good.
>>
>>7787097
Fucking GOAT books, loved these so much when I was a kid
>>
>>7787097
>>7788136
I also only read the first 4, for the same reason, maybe I should read the rest one day for fun.... the nostalgia would hit pretty hard though
>>
>>7787888
plz respond.
>>
File: Demonataseries.jpg (174 KB, 1023x601) Image search: [Google]
Demonataseries.jpg
174 KB, 1023x601
>>
>>7788001
They're nothing like Douglas Adams.
>>
File: YA Fiction.jpg (15 KB, 220x331) Image search: [Google]
YA Fiction.jpg
15 KB, 220x331
>>7787054
>>
>>7787888
Anyone?
>>
>>7788586
the post above you is perfect.
>>
I remember reading this book in middle school that I found in the school library. It was futuristic and the mc was a kid who was on the run with rebels or something. I vividly remember a part where some kid dies by laser gun and a bunch of crazy shit went down. Couldn't put it down when I read it but I can't think of the name to save my life
>>
>>7787888
The Chaos Walking trilogy.
>>
The Pit Dragon series.
It was very unusual to me at the time. Science Fiction and fantasy blend set on some desert planet inhabited by the descendents of prisoners. Dragons are kept and bred like livestock and used for fights in dragon pits. We eventually learn that they are sentient though. I distinctly remember when the protagonists have to cut up a dying dragon and sleep in her birth sack as protection against the cold. After being reborn like that they are capable of speaking the dragon language which is described in colors.
>>
File: Copy_of_Keys_To_the_Kingdom.jpg (80 KB, 526x744) Image search: [Google]
Copy_of_Keys_To_the_Kingdom.jpg
80 KB, 526x744
These books were fucking weird. The cosmology was pretty good and the protag comes from some near future alternate universe where a devastating plague in the late 90s caused the US to create draconian quarantine procedures. The latter books were bananas with the twists too. It turns out that god had split itself in two, and because the female half cursed the male half to be imprisoned until the end of creation, she couldn't kill herself when she got bored of existing, and the whole series was her scheme to destroy all of reality so she could die, and have the protagonist create a new universe after she was gone.
>>
>>7787888
Earthsea is severely underrated in my opinion
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (44 KB, 948x1147) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
44 KB, 948x1147
>>
FUCK YEAH
>>
File: youth in revolt.jpg (48 KB, 297x475) Image search: [Google]
youth in revolt.jpg
48 KB, 297x475
There are sequels but I only read the first book. Got me interested in reading, and molded my sense of humor.
I highly recommend it. Probably the only YA novel worth a shit.
>>
>>7788574
Already mentioned this but I got up to the eighth book in this series, and this thread is making me consider finishing it just for old times sake. I wonder though if I'll be able to just pick it back up again after so long. If I really need to re-read all of them I'm not gonna do it.
>>
>>7787574
Yes I fucking adore these and reread them every so often. Ya may want to check them out again they finished up the story of the original trilogies with one big book at the end, it was pretty cool how it ended.

But recently they even continued the series after that, check out cade series, first book is called The Nameless One, it was pretty good.
>>
>>7787888
Nice trips. Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortuante Events is patrician af
>>
>>7790146
series of unfortunate events. fun read as an adult too, but it really isnt academic

i grew up before it was finished
>>
File: Cherubs seires.jpg (71 KB, 537x262) Image search: [Google]
Cherubs seires.jpg
71 KB, 537x262
Always liked this as a teen, it did not treat the reader like a retard even though it is a kid/young adult series.
Its about an organisation using kids to infiltrate criminals lives, it got interesting later on when it delved into teen sex and criminal activity like child prostitution, cults and serious drug dealers.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 426x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 426x320
When I was around twelve I discovered this weird author from the eighties who wrote spooky stories. Looking back on his books now, I can't believe I ever thought they were good, but kids will be kids I guess.
>>
HUSTLER magazine.

What? It's got teens in it.
>>
>>7790124
That had an abysmal ending. Fantastic first maybe seven books.
Then that ending God it was bad. I remember being as hyped as can be, buying it on the first day it was out, finishing it in less than three days and just thinking "Wow that wasn't worth it".
>>
>>7787574
Dude, these books were my absolute favorites as a kid. I think the first 7 or 8 are actually still at my parents' house.
>>
File: bone.png (657 KB, 1015x524) Image search: [Google]
bone.png
657 KB, 1015x524
I actually enjoyed this tbqh
>>
>>7787231
Fuck yes, Deltora quest was brilliant.
>>7787332
Yes, yes, yes. I loved Cirque du Freak. Especially the name "Desmond Tiny".
>>7787888
Hmm, how about the Young Bond series? I enjoyed them a lot. I read them age 9-14 though so idk if they were actually good.
>>7788847
Garth Nix is bae. The first book of his I read was Shade's Children. It was perfect, pretty much.

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness really struck me, as well as The Sight. Another good series started with Silverwing. Dunno if they're weird but they were fab.
>>
Not really aimed at young adults, but the goddamn Animorphs series. You could adjust the vocabulary, sentence structure, and pacing for pretty much any age range and it would hold up, because at the core, those books are just unceasing shadow wars, body horror, regular horror, cosmic horror, and heart wrenching consequences.

That shit's devastating, and I love it. Applegate is a genius.
>>
File: The_Amulet_of_Samarkand.png (353 KB, 277x440) Image search: [Google]
The_Amulet_of_Samarkand.png
353 KB, 277x440
>>7787888
>>7787054
>>
File: skullduggery pleasant.jpg (61 KB, 296x454) Image search: [Google]
skullduggery pleasant.jpg
61 KB, 296x454
Horror fantasy set in Ireland, basically a bloodier Harry Potter

The main characters are a 12-year-old girl and a walking skeleton
>>
>>7788585
Is The Wizard Knight YA?
>>
the abhorsen trilogy was GOAT

the edgy shadow series by Brent Weeks was pretty comfy

Worm isn't really a book series but it read like a fun YA novel.

I read GoT when i was like 12, its pretty good as a YA series as long as you arent sheltered
>>
File: sea of trolls.jpg (29 KB, 316x473) Image search: [Google]
sea of trolls.jpg
29 KB, 316x473
>>7787888
Series of Unfortunate Events if you're a patrician

Septimus Heap if you like Discworld and rich, tightly-constructed worlds

Harry Potter is amazingly entertaining despite its flaws, but I'm sure you've read it already

The Hunger Games books are more thought-provoking than most

The Alchemyst books are fun if you're a mythology nerd

Pic related is legitimate literature
>>
>>7787274
Hello fellow Australian kid in the early 2000s
>>
>>7790163
>later
More like in the second book
>>
Is Everworld obscure? I've never seen anyone else talk about it
>>
File: Cornish_-_Foundling_Coverart.png (74 KB, 200x306) Image search: [Google]
Cornish_-_Foundling_Coverart.png
74 KB, 200x306
My favourite weird kids series would have to be Monster Blood Tattoo. I haven't read anything even remotely similar to the series. Bretty dank.
>>7790373
fuck yeah, Skullduggery is so good. I love the banter between valkyrie and skullduggery. It has a good ending too.
>>
>>7790426
Wasn't Deltora popular elsewhere? Is it literally like tim tams in that it is so popular in australia but unrecognised anywhere else? I remember reading all four series of it.
>>
>>7790426
Huh?

I'm American and I read both series. I thought Artemis Fowl was Irish.
>>
>>7790473
He is it was just enormously popular here in Australia in the early 2000s
>>
>>7788574
I ate these up when I was fourteen.

Lord Loss was the edgiest book I'd ever read back in the day.
>>
Not a really a series per se, but this guy Zindel wrote a bunch of books about horrific monsters. There also one about a giant bat and one about the Loch Ness Monster and a bunch of others. Pic related had the sickest cover though.
>>
Death Gate Cycle
The Coldfire Trilogy
>>
>goosebumps
i remember they hyped the shit out of this when it came out. i got the first one at a book fair when it launched, read about 10 of them before i grew out of them.

>animorphs
same with these

>hardy boys
not sure if this counts, but i read a bunch of them
>nancy drew
a few of these too but >ew girls
>boxcar children
some of these

think that's it. weren't a lot of series back then.
>>
>>7790455
I remember seeing it in libraries (US) but I never picked it up.
>>
>>7790321
I hated the ending for this, it seemed immensely rushed and lazy. It wrapped up in like 30 pages. The story was so good up until then. Other than that i recommended it every chance i got.
>>
>>7790363
Lovvvvvvvved it. Hated ending though.
>>
>>7790158
>but it really isnt academic

Did we read the same books? Throughout the series, Snicket makes countless allusions towards literary figures.
>>
>>7787888
Westmark books by Lloyd Alexander
>>
>>7790448
That series was weird as fuck, but pretty fun. Hitting me right in the nostalgia gland.
>>
>>7790142
Better off if you don't read the 8th book IMO, it's as bad as a DUDE IT WAS ALL A DREAM LMAO
>>
>>7787574
Some of the best world building in teen (and fantasy in general imo) fiction
>>
>>7790373
i never finished skullduggery, i should go back and reread them huh
that shit was so good
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.