[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The sheer poetic power of this book humbles me. I feel I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
The sheer poetic power of this book humbles me. I feel I have fallen under a spell reading Quentin and Jason's parts. The sounds, the rhythms, the meter Faulkner translates into prose is so invigorating I can't contain my enthusiasm.

What are some books whose sheer beauty in prose and construction has blown you away, /lit/?
>>
Quentin is my favorite Faulkner character. That 2nd part (the shadow of the sash) is brilliant.

If you think TSATF is good, then you really need to read Absalom, Absalom! It's even more fun. And I think it's Faulkner's best.

And get some whisky while you're at it!
>>
>>7786895
Not op but I feel the same way, quentin's whole section was fucking chilling in a great way. I've only read sound and the fury and as I lay dying from faulkner so far so I'll check out absalom absalom next.

Where does it stand on comprehensibility from TSatF to AILD?
>>
>>7786929
Absalom is more comprehensible in the sense that it isn't AILD / Benjy style, but it's a much more difficult read. check out Light in August, The Hamlet, Go Down Moses, Sanctuary, Old Man (one half of the novel Wild Palms, the half in Yok. county)
>>
A,A! is the most complex Faulkner novel imo. I think getting tripped up on a lot of the charactes in AILD is common and the benjy part usually throws people off, it's not stream of consciousness in a Benjy way but really long elaborate sentences and monologues that weave in and out of subjects all the time.
>>
>>7786857
Carpenter's Gothic blew me away with the style in which it was written
I hadn't read anything like it up to that point and still haven't really
>>
You'd probably like The Waves by Virginia Woolf. Some of the most beautiful descriptions of nature and consciousness I've ever read, laid out in a sort of stream of consciousness epic prose poem.
>>
>>7787101

Damn. That's a good pick. I second this.

A book from last year, The Infernal, by Mark Doten, really knocked my socks off.
>>
>>7787101

What was it like?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.