[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for books that are so weird and existential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nsu56sZ2rd1qdok4ro1_500.jpg (37 KB, 467x443) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsu56sZ2rd1qdok4ro1_500.jpg
37 KB, 467x443
I'm looking for books that are so weird and existential that they actually transcend that feeling of futility and leave you questioning what the hell is really going on around you, almost like philosophical vertigo. I mean, I'm just a moron so my mind should be easily tossed into such a state. Perhaps I am already always in such a state, but I don't like it. Either way, help me go insane please.
>>
idk lol
>>
TRUE DETECTIVE BRO
>>
>>7780166

The Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustoll, Pataphysician by Alfred Jarry
or
Locus Solus by Raymond Roussel
>>
usually herman hess does this to me. i understand that the premises of his buddhistic books are flawd but u still end up with this sensation of a profound meaning and shit
>>
valis
>>
Waiting for godot
>>
>>7780166

Pleb i know but I would recommend Stephen King's Revival. The ending really fucked me up.
>>
>>7783350
>he reads plays
>>
>>7780166
Mallarmé's.
>>
>>7782435
After chewing through a few of said Buddhist revelations in Steppenwolf, I just couldn't get over how sorry the guy felt for himself. Not a single one could dispel that self pity of his.
>>
Ubik and valis.
>>
>>7783435
>he knows nothing of post-romantic lit
>>
>>7783456
How?
>>
>>7783471
A throw of dice, perhaps.
>>
>>7780166
Kafka's - the castle
>>
Without a doubt The Passion According To GH
>>
>>7783459
Lol ubik was funny.
>>
>>7780166

I know this book is hated by /lit/ now but the Book of Disquiet made me feel like I died when it ended.
>>
>>7780166
Well, you're a faggot who's expecting way too much out of a damn book, and you should really just take shrooms and then try to read any old philosophy book you like. You'll be questioning shit all right. But the obvious answer is Lovecraft, which is as close to what you're asking for as it's possible for a book to get.
>>
File: rilke.png (67 KB, 251x247) Image search: [Google]
rilke.png
67 KB, 251x247
>>7780166

These suggestions are weak.

Secret Weapons, Hopscotch... Julio Cortazar
El Pozo, Tonight... Juan Carlos Onetti
The Immortal, Garden of Forking Paths... Borges
The Decay of the Angel... Mishima
The Eternal Smile... Par Lagerkvist
Family Ties... Clarice Lispector
Anything by Ingmar Bergman
Duino Elegies... Rilke

basically existentialism/magical realism
>>
VALIS
Red Book
Nag Hammadi
Foccault's Pendulum
>>
>>7783554

>Book of Disquiet
>hated on lit

u wot
>>
>>7782241
I second these and would like to add With My Dog Eyes by Hilda Hilst. Of course, in such matters you can never go wrong with Borges or Cortazar either.

>>7783501
>>
>>7783601
How is decay of the angel?
Recently picked it up but have been putting off starting it.
>>
>>7783719

I dont think youll get as much out of it if you havent read the full tetralogy.

A lot of the payoff comes from Mishima investigating historical memory.
So the operatic scope of the last four books is what makes Decay so compelling.

Anyway, things fall apart, the centre cannot hold etc.
Reconciling your egocentrism with both what holds the world together and what ultimately distorts it
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.