[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'm just gonna have Socrates talk about and point to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: plato.jpg (66 KB, 412x462) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
66 KB, 412x462
>I'm just gonna have Socrates talk about and point to shapes and lines you can't even see.
>>
>implying is not Plato himself talking
>>
>>7774920
>Implying not everyone comprehends that Socrates is Plato's mouthpiece.
>>
>implying that Plato, by using Socrates as a mouthpiece for his own ideas, wasn't guiding himself by Socrates' own ideal of self-knowledge and subjective freedom.
>>
>>7774940
>implying that anyone ever implied as such
>>
>>7774909
Reeeeeee need tendies!!!
>>
File: 1407784330903.png (54 KB, 892x978) Image search: [Google]
1407784330903.png
54 KB, 892x978
Plato was a totalitarian before it was cool.
>>
>>7774967
Read literally the first 10 pages of the Republic. Socrates destroy's thrasimachus' "might is right" argument.
>>
>I'm just gonna have Einstein talk about and point to e=mc^2 you can't even see.
>I'm just gonna have Feynman talk about and point to (sub)atomic particles you can't even see.
>I'm just gonna have Ed Witten talk about and point to strings you can't even see.
>I'm just gonna have Frege talk about and point to the existential quantifier you can't even see.
>I'm just gonna have Tarski talk about and point to truth you can't even see.

This is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>7775014
All I'm asking of Plato is to scribble some fucking little doodles in the margin of Socrates pointing to shit.
>>
How much do we actually know about Socrates? To what degree is he just being used as Plato's mouthpiece? Where is the line between what he actually taught and what Plato uses him to say?
>>
>>7775025
Do you also expect the author of a mathematics text to prove all the theorems of the 'exercises' section for you? If you can't follow Plato by drawing some geometrical objects to guide yourself in reading and understanding his dialogues then your potential as an intellectual is close to being worthless.
>>
>>7774967
*tips*
>>
>>7774975
Socrates's favorite pasttimes were corrupting the young and obliterating the worldviews of others
Fuck I want to be Socrates so bad.
>>
>>7775048
>implying someone would corrupt the young intentionally
>>
>>7775048
The dude really loved to fuck his own students. I don't mean that figuratively.
>>
>>7775061
Are you implying Socrates didn't know what he was doing?
>>
I'm ready. How do I get started with Plato?
>>
>>7776637
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7774967
the bit about darwin is very wrong. evolution isn't "improvement", it is entirely amoral. animals adapt to their environment, moral values have absolutely nothing to do with it
>>
File: greeks.png (86 KB, 1051x819) Image search: [Google]
greeks.png
86 KB, 1051x819
>>7776637
>>
>>7774909
I read now this famous Socrates ripost to Faidros about Eros, and its tricky but also somewhat clunky logic. Love is always for something that we lack on - so Socrates used this theory to point that Eros was not that beautiful that Feidros draw him, if he always coming to beautiful things. Problem i have with this logic, is that gods were not really beautiful before Eros has borned - Feidros talked about chaos and conflicts between gods, before Eros taught them skills and how to be good, ergo gods were not beautiful when Eros was coming to them. Sentence of Fedrois what was like "Eros never come to anything that is bad and ugly" (what implies that god were always great despite them flaws, and Eros wanted to be as beautiful as they) seem to my like only hook why Socrates's answer would be correct
>>
>>7776637
Symposium
>>
>>7774967
This is so wrong
>>
>>7774909
>hey Plato why're you so gay for Socrates? Why is he always in your dialogues Plato? You miss him that much you little fag? This is my theory of why Socrates isn't explicitly named in Laws and why Plato denounces homosexuality in that same dialogue.
>>
>>7776659
So let me get this straight, all of western philosophy was born... from some dudes teaching rich kids how to bullshit?
>>
>>7778083
>Socrates created philosophy
Epic.
>>
>>7778109
I didn't say that.
>>
File: 1417816383086.jpg (20 KB, 317x184) Image search: [Google]
1417816383086.jpg
20 KB, 317x184
>>7774967
>both start with creation
>>
>>7778327
Then you couldn't have read the whole pic
>>
>>7774967
That picture combined with your post is all the evidence I need to know you don't read.
>>
>>7775090
not that anon but it's obviously a joke based on socrates argument style - no one would do bad intentionally!
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.