[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading in a second language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: f4OkK.png (547 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
f4OkK.png
547 KB, 500x750
As most Europeans I've studied English since I was born and have been surrounded with it ever since (from childrens shows on TV to advanced academic literature).
However, even today I still find myself going "tired" when reading English text, such as novels or longer articles. It's never the same as reading anything in my native language (even though I understand everything perfectly).

Can anyone relate to this? Does it ever pass?
>>
>>7774098
>Does it ever pass?

Yes. Read more.
>>
>>7774148
When did it pass for you?
>>
>>7774157
After I read more.
>>
I've had to read Kafka and various things in German as a second language. It's rewarding when you feel like you're reading the actual words the author wrote as he intended them, but in terms of actual ease and enjoyment, I prefer reading in English. It feels like a more automatic process, like the words go straight off the page into my brain, whereas in German I read the words, translate and then I understand them. I understand them fine, but it's more taxing.

I assume it gets easier with practice, but I don't read German regularly enough any more.
>>
>>7774098
it depends book by book and what kind of language is used.

Murakami in English I can read fairly easily and quickly, but Jane Austen was awful to get through.

Then I have some French book from Nothomb that went very fast, but reading Tolstoï was difficult as well.

Currently reading Pinocchio in Italian, I need to adapt, but it's going well

Everything in Dutch (first language) is quite easy though.
>>
>>7774216
> Everything in Dutch (first language) is quite easy though.
forgot to add: Dutch is easier on the vocabulary, as you can just put words together. French&Italian are more specific in terms of vocab & you can't always derive a word if you never heard of it before.
>>
>It's never the same as reading anything in my native language
I don't get tired from reading in English, but it's certainly not the same as reading in my native language. I don't have to translate to myself while reading, but there's always a mild barrier between me and English, as if I depend on the sound of an English word, while words in my native language are free of such physicality, they are ideas more than words. And I doubt this can be changed, a native language is learned in a different way from a secondary, it became a part of your psyche while you were learning it as a kid.
>>
i want to fuck that statue
>>
File: 1452099911023.jpg (69 KB, 712x750) Image search: [Google]
1452099911023.jpg
69 KB, 712x750
>>7774098
You fell for the meme, you dip.

If it's bothering you, just read translations, but only if you're confident they're good enough. Not a single non-autistic reason not to.
>>
>>7776072
What meme
>>
>>7774098
Yes, it will pass anon. I now appreciate English more and read in it gladly.
>>
>>7776072
I prefer English now and hate reading in my native language. Just read more and get a Kindle for quick word definition checking.
>>
Passed for me with English.

Now I have it with Japanese, but it's getting better-
>>
>>7774098
I've read maybe 100 books in english and at this point, it's second nature.
>>
>>7774098
Yeah it passes, I used to read comics in English when I was a kid so I didn't have that problem, but I'm sure if you consume more media in English it will pass.
>>
>>7774255
>there's always a mild barrier between me and English, as if I depend on the sound of an English word, while words in my native language are free of such physicality, they are ideas more than words
This actually makes me aprpeciate reading in English more, it makes you appreciate more the choice of words itself since you are so aware of how they sound, I don't get that in my native langauge
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.