[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi! I need an advice. I'd like to read something in English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Hi! I need an advice. I'd like to read something in English and, since it isn't my native language, it should be something that I can handle, something relatively easy to read and interesting for a person in his twenties. Thank you!
>>
Catcher in the rye
>>
I'd argue anything by Hemingway, he's rather known for his succint and clear-cut writing style. I think it'd be very easy to understand, language-wise, as far as literature goes.
>>
read the sticky
>>
>>7773045
the catcher in the rye,no longer human,american psycho and if you are into urban fantasy setting i would recommend the night watch
>>
>>7773059
also forgot to mention steinbeck
>>
>>7773045
I'm on the same boat as you, but I read anything with the help of a dictionary. If a sentence seems off to me then I resort to translating it to my native language, sometimes it makes more sense that way to me, but eventually it becomes unnecessary. You could try this as well. Nobody gets past their current level sticking only to things they're already comfortable with.
>>
>>7773045
Catch-22. Repetitive in the beginning, but it's one of the funniest novels you can find and it's both easy and yet will teach you a word or two every now and then.
>>
>>7773052

As a non native speaker (not OP) I think writers like Hemingway or Steinbeck who put alot of effort into describing rural landscapes are extremely difficult because I rarely come in contact with the type of words favored by those authors.

I learn english from film, music, textbooks and news l which means I rarely come across words such as orchard, meadow, pinetree etc etc
>>
Try Dracula by Bram Stoker, I'm a Swede but I had very little truble reading it in English.
>>
>>7773097
>learn english from film, music, textbooks and news
I did this too. And I read The Lord of the Rings with a dictionary. It kept quite long, but after I got through the first book, I rarely needed to look up words.
>>
File: where were you.jpg (59 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
where were you.jpg
59 KB, 240x180
>>7773045
20s, ESL, relatively easy..

Gene Wolfe
>>
>>7773045
>>
>>7773097
And you aren't gonna learn those if you avoid them. Look up a word here and there and you'll be fine.
>>
>>7773660

I do of coruse but when Hemingway is describing a forest I'm googling five+ words a page and it kills the book.

2 words per page is fine.
>>
>>7773667
Just get a dictionary app. Very convenient.
>>
>>7773141
Actually true for some of his novels
>>
>>7773667

buy a kindle and put an english to [your native language here] dictionary on it

i would recommend mediocre/above average crime fiction to get your language level up, it's what i did for spanish and foundd it very effective (read a lot of montalban and taibo II)
>>
>>7773703
English to English dictionary is better, trust me (I'm ESL). Having hard English words explained in simple English words will help you a ton.
>>
Finnegans Wake
>>
English is my 3rd language and so far I was able to read every book I wanted to read except Lolita in English.
>>
>>7773045
>>
Orwell uses language quite clearly and concisely; also, many of his works, e.g. Animal Farm, his essays, &c., are rather short.
>>
>>7773727
Randomized trials have shown that prople who don't speak any English and native speakers get just as much out of Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>7773727

Top kek.

>>7776246

That doesn't surprise me at all.

I always thought it was funny that Ezra Pound, a past admirer of Joyce, complained that it was largely unintelligible.

This from the man who wrote The Cantos; which are essentially little more than a stream of consciousness from a literacy Alzheimer's patient.
>>
>>7773045
4chan.org/lit/
>>
>>7773045
The Stranger by Albear Camoo
>>
>>7773045
I think that Taipei may have simple language, however it is porbably not high-quality literature (i heven't read it personally)
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.