[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the success of Donald Trump in the American election the ultimate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: huxley-vs-orwell.jpg (2 MB, 950x7583) Image search: [Google]
huxley-vs-orwell.jpg
2 MB, 950x7583
Is the success of Donald Trump in the American election the ultimate proof that Aldous Huxley was right all along?
>>
It's pretty brave to say that the new president is going to be able to create that sort of a world.
>>
>>7772636
it doesn't say that
it does express that people would accept/do desire such a world
>>
>>7772632
>not thinking that it's both orwellian and huxlian
>>
>>7772632
>muh Huxley/Orwell dichotomy
Neither of them accurately foresaw the societal changes brought about by the information revolution. That doesn't mean their dystopic visions are somehow worthless as a warning but to try and fit our contemporary world onto a Huxley-Orwell scale is a fool's errand.
>>
File: Implying.png (163 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Implying.png
163 KB, 512x384
>Everyone I don't like is who Orwell/Huxley were talking about
>>
>>7772638
look closer at the words
>>
>>7772668
was talking about the op
>>
>>7772632
Naaah, more like Tom Wolfe was right in Bonfire of Vanities
>>
>>7772663
This
>>
File: 1457019786960.jpg (93 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1457019786960.jpg
93 KB, 717x880
>>7772632
>Mocks Donald Trump
>Expresses love for BNW
>has to say how smart they are for thinking that this future is inevitable
>This comment that is the embodiment of Reddit hipster
Holy Fugggggg
>>
>>7772663
lel this

back to /r/politics OP
>>
>>7772632
It's the ultimate proof that memes are dead.

Just you wait and see.
>>
>>7772632
every criticism by everyone else in this thread aside, Donald Trump has nothing to do with Huxley's vision at all. Did you even look at the graphic you posted? Which of those pannels pertain to Trump? Protip: it's none of them
>>
>>7772779
I think the implication is that people are supporting Trump because they find him amusing, and nothing more.
>>
>>7772787
That's what OP is talking about, politics turning into entertainment, which is reminicent to what Huxley described but hardly the same.

Still, he probably thinks this after watching a 6-minute YouTube video about Trump, and all he knows about Huxley comes from that comic he posted.
>>
>>7772632
>implying Brave New World is a dystopia

top reddit
>>
>>7772787
>>7772875
That's how American politics work though.

I really don't see how Trump is something new in that regard in any way whatsoever.
>>
>>7772636
;^)
>>
Bernouts are feeling the bern
>>
>>7772902
My ideal next 8 years was Bernie as president with two republican houses and Brian Sandoval as the a confirmed justice. Nothing would get done and the states would gain in power.
>>
>>7772895
These people believe variations if the basic thesis of Whig history and see Obama as the most progressive, serious, and competent President of all time. The notion that he may have been elected because of his skin color and not his policies is almost unthinkable to them. They have basic misunderstandings about the nature of the presidency and of government that can't be corrected on this board.
>>
>>7772888
Trips don't lie
>>
>>7772918
That said your statement drips with bias. No one doubts that 99% of african voters voted for him and they all showed up, and that every bleeding heart showed up at the polls.

But to suggest that his administration hasnt been basically competent compared to his predecessor, with notable exceptions being some foreign policy errors, his passion for gun control, and the NSA scandal is to be obtuse. His numbers on the markets, unemployment, and debt speak for themselves, even if he was the beneficiary of a post recession boom cycle. 7/10 president.
>>
File: 1327948152538.jpg (7 KB, 192x170) Image search: [Google]
1327948152538.jpg
7 KB, 192x170
>>7772632
...gtfo leddit
>>
>453 posts and 164 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
>>7772632
dude you gotta carb up
>>
>>7772632
look at that guy's coffee pot and fax machine lighting up from all that egotism. mere sheeple
>>
File: tweet.png (67 KB, 221x275) Image search: [Google]
tweet.png
67 KB, 221x275
>>7772632
>>
>>7773040
It's 2016, who still gives a fuck about twitter?

Might as well post anti-facebook cartoons from 10 years ago when people still cared about that shit
>>
>>7772904
>implying state power is even sort of legitimate
They're gerrymandered to hell, a shift towards States at this point would become a shift toward totalitarianism with no accountability to anyone
>>
File: gerome_pollice[1].jpg (69 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
gerome_pollice[1].jpg
69 KB, 600x395
>Is the success of Donald Trump in the American election the ultimate proof that Aldous Huxley was right all along?

No, because this isn't a new phenomenon at all
>>
The GOP has been conditioning its electorate to blindly support people like Trump. They stifle public education, monger fear through implicit racism and xenophobia, and vow to reduce the federal government. Trump comes along and lays bare all this bullshit rhetoric and now the GOP is terrified because they can't contain the monster they've created.

If Trump wins the nomination, it could fracture the GOP into pieces. At the very least we would see fundamental changes in stance on certain specific policies. He's pulling moderate Republicans to the left and pushing the far-right even further.

It's brilliant, really. If Sanders could actually get name recognition outside of the 18-35 white male demographic he could do something similar with Democrats. And we could finally get rid of this shitty two-party system.

But I dream.
>>
>>7773046
did you draw this?
>>
Hey guys, it would be much appreciated if anyone could fill out this questionnaire on Student fees in the UK for my dissertation, any views, serious or not, will be appreciated muchly :) https://survey.swan.ac.uk/index.php?sid=66828&newtest=Y&lang=en
>>
>>7772632
or maybe it just means white people don't want to be genocided by cultural marxists
>>
>>7773131
I just filled it out at random, I hope it helps
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.