[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TOP 5 Sci-Fi Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: LIT061.jpg (106 KB, 345x350) Image search: [Google]
LIT061.jpg
106 KB, 345x350
title says it all
>>
the fatal eggs
>>
1. VALIS (or Scanner Darkly, although that one is slightly stretching the "sci-fi")
2. Voyage to Arcturus
3. Slaughterhouse Five
4. Dune
5. Rendezvous with Rama
>>
1. Valis
2. A Scanner Darkly
3. Transmigration of Timothy Archer
4. Now Wait For Last Year
5. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
>>
>>7764254

I like what you did there.

Although I would've picked Martian Time-Slip or Galactic Pot Healer over the Transmigration. Also, I think Three Stigmata deserve better than number five.
>>
>>
PKD and Lem are the only ones worth reading
>>
>>7764240
They're all trash.
>>
>>7764240
I'll just name authors since all had multiple quality novels
Wolfe
Le Guin
Lem
Dick
Zelanzy
>>
Book of the New Sun
Dune
Starship Troopers
Forever War
Man In The High Castle

This is just my opinion but i think it doesn't get much better than this. Also check out the short story Sand Kings by a young George rr Martin, genuinely good sf. The ending made me actually shiver.
>>
>>7764254
>>7764366
>>7764393
So the consensus on /lit/ is that Philip "muh dik" is pretty good?

What's the opinion on Asimov?
>>
>>7764862
Dick is very good at what he does, yes.
Personally I never had an interest in Golden age sf so I skipped the big three.
>>
1. Vacuum Diagrams - Stephen Baxter
2. I, Robot - Isaac Asimov
3. Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said - PKD
4. Unaccompanied Sonata and Other Stories - Orson Scott Card
5. Warlords of Utopia by Lance Parkin
>>
>>7764393
Is Le Guin actually good? I read LHoD and found it verrrrry underwhelming
>>
>>7765166
you're a pleb then leguin is excellent
>>
>>7765166
>>7765171

Le Guin is fucking terrible. I read LHoD and A Wizard of Earthsea and I really wish I hadn't. A waste of time and intellect. Make sure to avoid, she's not much better than Rowling or Martin.
>>
>>7765191
Nice hot opinions m8
>>
>>7765191
Here's a (You) senpai. Now back to /reddit/ with you.
>>
>>7764240

5. Last and First Men
4. Comical History of the States and Empires of the Moon
3. The Stars My Destination
2. Micromegas
1. Infinite Jest
>>
>>7765171
What makes her excellent? I didn't find Left Hand of Darkness terrible, but it was still a squandered premise. Why did the last 100 pages have to be this dull trek through a lifeless landscape? It read like a banal survivalist novel and the only redeeming quality was that the descriptions were nice. She could have done a lot more given the fascinating premise of a genderless planet, but I got nothing new out of it. Am I missing something?
>>
>>7765326
the journey across the glacier is the heart of the book. at the risk of sounding trite, it's essentially the subversion/breaking down of traditional survival narratives. it transforms the survival narrative, which is usually something masculine and gritty, into something that's more about the relationships between the two. if you really want to go the feminist route it's about how subjective experiences aren't necessarily divided into masculine/feminine, but rather universal and humanist.

symbolically it's the overcoming of barriers (mental and physical) from estravan (and also genly ai).

it takes place in a glacier, cause, well, winter/cold symbolism should be obvious.
>>
Gateway

Book of the New Sun

Rendezvous with Rama

Foundation Trilogy
>>
>>7765349
This is a good response but I feel like the novel succeeds in subverting the survivalist genre at the expense of telling a compelling story. The trek across the glacier was clearly forecasted through the anthropological sections in the interstices of the two viewpoints, but there were other plotlines that weren't satisfactorily explored because too much focus was put on the glacier journey. The political themes in the novel were pretty opaque and ended up feeling unnecessary. From what I can see, the novel has really compelling ideas but doesn't use the plot to explore them as efficiently as could have been done. But you've at least convinced me to give it another read through.
>>
>>7765381
i think it's fine for the politics to take a backseat, since the story is a much more "personal" one, in that it deals with personal emotions, connections, and positions as related to the world/society at large.

i believe the political stuff was appropriately present to set a backdrop, without being too intrusive. if you want something more politics heavy go for the dispossessed.

i think the restrained nature of left hand of darkness works well with the themes it was exploring, and that excess detail would've blemished the work. the tone and atmosphere of the book is set by the winter climate - it's cold, remote, and distant, and the gethen idea of pride and subtlety (that which is said vs. that which is not said) combines nicely with the other aspects of the book.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2055x2964) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2055x2964
Dune
Enders game
Starship troopers
Do androids dream of electric sheep
Book 5: War Saint (I wrote it) pic related. 14 year old beta reader did a piece of fan art because she lived the main character
>>
>>7765494
is this bait? it's so hard to tell with sff threads/plebs.
>>
>>7765501
No b8 m8
>>
>>7765221
>>7765229

>books are good because they conform to my ideological convictions

Yeah I think I know who should go back back to >>>reddit.
>>
>>7766039
>falling for the ideology meme

PURE IDEOLOGY

SURE IS SPOOKY IN HERE
>>
>>7766042

>spouting le spook and ZIzek memes

This proves what point exactly?
>>
>>7765494
I wanna read your book, anon.
What's it about?
>>
>>7764240
childhoods end
Children of Dune
the protector
Telempath
space odyssey 3000
>>
>>7764240
also i love loli telepaths.
so I have fapped to acorna, Emerald Eyes, the ship who sang(not really telepath but he lives in the ship with a loli brain that watches him like overly attached gf), Chrysalids. and a bunch of others.
>>
>>7765494

Protagonist is a cat-girl? Please tell me this is some sort of heroic baite, anon.
>>
>>7764442
Starship troopers is perfect. Good pick
>>
>>7766193
It's a deviance crafted into my telling of "the heroes journey". While the main character of the series is taking care of business elsewhere, this secondary character steps into the spotlight to carry the story along for the midpoint of the saga. Like a relay race, she carries it long enough for the next character to take over.

The halfling daughter of an infamous space pirate goes looking for the hero to help him only to discover he's gone where she can't follow. and now she returns to the home planet of her feline side only to learn that the evil the MC is fighting is everytwhere and plans to torch her homeworld next. So she takes up arms to fight using guerrilla warfare and hit and run tactics against a planetary siege. New secondary characters that become main character years later on are introduced.
>>
Lord of Light by Roger Z
Carve the Sky by Jablokov
Sewer, Gas, and Electric by Matt Ruff
Diamond Age by Stephenson
Synners by Pat Cadigan
>>
>>7764240
In no particular order:

Aniara
The Book of the New Sun
Solaris
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Stations of the Tide
>>
>>7765166
I thought Left Hand was solid, but didn't live up to the hype. I think Lathe of Heaven is much better, though it's a very different than what Le Guin usually writes (it's pulpy).
>>
last bump
>>
>>7764386
Heyo Reddit
>>
>>7764240
1. BOTNS
2. Fifth Head of Cerberus
3. There Are Doors
4. Gloriana
5. A Canticle for Leibovitz

There's nothing inherently wrong with sf, but the politically speculative drivel that largely defines the style is just disgusting.
>>
Ubik
Dune
Dying Inside
Dhalgren
Solaris
>>
The Dying Earth
>>
The Bible
>>
>>7768388
> Solaris
Gah, I thought it was junk. I'm giving Lem a second chance with Return from the Stars, but it's no better.

Also, in no particular order:
Day of the Triffids
War of the Worlds
Inverted World
Player Piano
Make Room! Make Room!
>>
Thoughts on Solaris? I finished the first chapter and think it's really good so far.
>>
Not necessarily in that order:

The Island of Dr Moreau
The Stars My Destination
Neuromancer
The Martian (I know, I know...)
>>
>>7769648
You just science fictioned the fuck out of this thread
>>
File: Le early cosmologist faec.png (53 KB, 200x230) Image search: [Google]
Le early cosmologist faec.png
53 KB, 200x230
>>7769645
The other 4 books dealing with alien contact are 100000X better. Invincible and Eden (specialy Eden) are my bookfus

>2014+2
>no one read "The call of the Cosmos"
Shiggy diggy. It was the first book to propose using rockets to throw russians into space
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.