[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: ezra pound.jpg (95 KB, 485x520) Image search: [Google]
ezra pound.jpg
95 KB, 485x520
What's your opinion on him?
>>
>old CIS white guy

don't care lol
>>
>>7760935
Reported for ageism and misandry.
>>
File: Ezra-Pound-back-in-Italy.jpg (30 KB, 335x548) Image search: [Google]
Ezra-Pound-back-in-Italy.jpg
30 KB, 335x548
One of the best poets bar none. He helped numerous artists get published and move up the literary ranks (Hemingway, Joyce, Anderson, etc.).

Nazi-sympathizer, sure, but one can't let a little thing like politics skew our perceptions of such a prized and influential poet/publisher, now, can we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6r2Nm0ZMo
>>
>>7760955
You forgot racism shitlord
>>
>>7760930
One of the best poets of the 20th century and enormously influential on the modernist movement.
>>
every ezra pound post in a nutshell:

FIRST OFF, this is a discussion about his ART. Yes, he was a fascist—that shouldn't distort your appreciation of his ART. But nowadays I guess we need to burn every poet who doesn't conform to our own political views? Let's not even READ his poems (even though they were massively influential on all of modernism), he was a nazi racist! (unprovoked)

Anyway, don't forget that he helped Joyce get published. So maybe he wasn't perfect but he wasn't a bad guy.
>>
>>7761685
>Pound
>Nazi-sympathizer

top kek brah
>>
>>7761685
We can, yes, we can.
>>
>>7763192
I'm a leftist and really like quite a few fascist artists.

That doesn't mean 90% of the Cantos are gibberish though
>>
I haven't read him. Can those of you that like him post your favourite poems of his?
>>
>>7763192
>thinking his political opinions did not have a huge impact in forming his art, opinions, ideas.
>thinking you can objectively discuss his work, without discussing the man
>>
>>7764582
Yes, his fascism informed his work and inspired many to put his ideas into practice. That's no reason to disregard his work as a "trigger" though
>>
>>7764582 #
Yes, his fascism informed his work and inspired many to put his ideas into practice. That's no reason to disregard his work as a "garlic breath" though
>>
>>7764621
Is his opinions really so threatening to you?
>>
>>7764630
>implying that I was implying
>>
File: 1453339051180.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1453339051180.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>7764573
>I'm a leftist and really like quite a few fascist artists.
good, since leftism is a fascism.
>>
>>7764633
You know, owning a globe is pretty pointless, but nothing worth bringing up.

Two globes on the same desk on the other hand ...
>>
>>7764638
>not getting pissy about a "this machine kills fascists" sticker on a neo-fascist device
>>
>>7764633
If you think leftism is fascism then you don't know anything about either leftism, facism or both.
>>
>>7764640
I already knew about that.
>>
>>7764633
please enlighten me
>>
>>7764581
Here's part of Canto XVI:
And before hell mouth; dry plain
and two mountains;
On the one mountain, a running form,
and another
In the turn of the hill; in hard steel
The road like a slow screw’s thread,
The angle almost imperceptible,
so that the circuit seemed hardly to rise;
And the running form, naked, Blake,
Shouting, whirling his arms, the swift limbs,
Howling against the evil,
his eyes rolling,
Whirling like flaming cart-wheels,
and his head held backward to gaze on the evil
As he ran from it,
to be hid by the steel mountain,
And when he showed again from the north side;
his eyes blazing toward hell mouth,
His neck forward,
and like him Peire Cardinal.
And in the west mountain, Il Fiorentino,
Seeing hell in his mirror,
and lo Sordels
Looking on it in his shield;
And Augustine, gazing toward the invisible.

And past them, the criminal
lying in the blue lakes of acid,
The road between the two hills, upward
slowly,
The flames patterned in lacquer, crimen est actio,
The limbo of chopped ice and saw-dust,
And I bathed myself with acid to free myself
of the hell ticks,
Scales, fallen louse eggs.
Palux Laerna,
the lake of bodies, aqua morta,
of limbs fluid, and mingled, like fish heaped in a bin,
and here an arm upward, clutching a fragment of marble,
And the embryos, in flux,
new inflow, submerging,
Here an arm upward, trout, submerged by the eels;
and from the bank, the stiff herbage
the dry nobbled path, saw many known, and unknown,
for an instant;
submerging,
The face gone, generation.
>>
His radio speeches read exactly like /pol/ posts.

It's amazing that the language has barely changed in almost a century.
>>
>>7764697
>You let in the Jew and the Jew rotted your empire, and you yourselves out-jewed the Jew.
Holy shit, you're right.
>>
pound was insufferable not because he was a fascist, but because he had an unduly high opinion of art and the artist.
>>
File: canto 75.png (618 KB, 1074x1600) Image search: [Google]
canto 75.png
618 KB, 1074x1600
Canto 75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvYvs9Gq34
>>
Canto I
Canto XLV
An Immorality
Ancient Music
Ancient Wisdom
Rather Cosmic
Alf’s Fifth Bit
Epitaphs
Mr. Housman's Message
Pan Is Dead,
Paracelsus In Excelsis
Song Of The Six Hundred M.P.'S
Canto XIV,
Notes for CXVII et seq.

…are all excellent poems by Pound
>>
>I found after seventy years that I was not a lunatic but a moron
>>
>>7764647
Well it's actually pretty simple. You know those dyed hair girls, right? Well they are Marxists. And then, when they complain on Tumblr - that's what Hitler would've done if he were alive. So here you go, leftism = fascism
>>
>>7765430
>Hitler dyed his hair
God this meme is so stupid. Why won't it just die? You think that IF he dyed his hair he would have dyed it black and not blond? Idiots ...
>>
>>7761717
you cant be racist towards white people shitlord, stop microaggressing on me
>>
I'm not sure if I like the inaccessibility of the foreign words he uses.
>>
>>7765437
>implying the Jews did not dye Hitler's hair when he was asleep
>>
My problem with Pound are not his actions: he was deep down a good person. Lincoln, for example, was a racist, but he freed the slaves after all. At the same time Robespierre advocated against the death penalty and for the abolition of slavery, while supporting equality of rights, universal suffrage and the establishment of a republic, and yet he was one of the main responsible for thousands and thousands of beheadings during the Terror – words don’t count nothing in matter of ethics, but acts do.

My problem with him is his poetic theory, which, firstly, saw the sound and sonority in poetry as more important than the metaphors and imagery. Well, this is one of the main reasons for today’s poetry (and even Pound and Eliot’s poetry) be filled with poems were words are glued together in nonsense sentences only for the stupid desire of making striking sound-patterns. This is ridiculous, for words and poetry will never be music. Of course you might try to create more wild and rough passages, or more drowsy and silken ones, but only if you do not sacrifice the sense and the imagery for this sake.

Secondly, Pound thought that the fusion of concrete language with abstract language should not be used. This is crazy! The marriage of concrete and abstract language is one of the most powerful tools of a poetical arsenal. Want an example? If concrete and abstract language should not be mixed many of the most glorious passages of Shakespeare (better that almost anything else in recorded literature) would not exist, such as:

that his virtues
Will plead like angels, trumpet-tongued, against
The deep damnation of his taking-off;
And pity, like a naked newborn babe,
Striding the blast, or heaven’s cherubim, horsed
Upon the sightless couriers of the air,
Shall blow the horrid deed in every eye,
That tears shall drown the wind.

(Here, for example, Pity is an abstraction, but is connected with the concrete image of a babe)

Or

By heaven, methinks it were an easy leap
To pluck bright honor from the pale-faced moon,
Or dive into the bottom of the deep,
Where fathom line could never touch the ground,
And pluck up drownèd honor by the locks,
So he that doth redeem her thence might wear
Without corrival all her dignities.
But out upon this half-faced fellowship!

(Here the most string passage is that of honor being plucked by its locks; well, Honor is an abstraction, and it certainly had no locks and can’t drown. But this passage is better than anything that Pound ever wrote).
>>
>>7765458
>saw the sound and sonority in poetry as more important than the metaphors and imagery
Really? Is this generally accepted as his opinion?
>>
>>7760930
A giant fucking hack
>>
>>7765458
>By heaven, methinks it were an easy leap
>To pluck bright honor from the pale-faced moon,
>Or dive into the bottom of the deep,
>Where fathom line could never touch the ground,
>And pluck up drownèd honor by the locks,
>So he that doth redeem her thence might wear
>Without corrival all her dignities.
>But out upon this half-faced fellowship!

mediocre, at best
>>
>>7765641
>Or dive into the bottom of the deep,
>>Where fathom line could never touch the ground,
>>And pluck up drownèd honor by the locks,

I think those lines are great
>>
>>7765679
doesn't have a nice ring to it

ezra was right

maybe you just need to grow up and appreciate the music?
>>
>>7765481

no that anon is very poorly pretending to know what he's talking about

(which is immediately obvious since he goes on a tangent about Lincoln and Robespierre as if there's any relevance there lmao)

pound had a very long career and he held different views and wrote different poems at different points

I mean, to suggest that the founder of imagism doesn't care about imagery is....
>>
>>7765715

fuck off. we are talking of poetry here: if you want great music go listen to Mozart or Beethoven or Bach.

there is a reason why people love to read Shakespeare but hardly stomach T.S. Eliot or Ezra
>>
>>7765481
No.
He was one of the creators of Imagism.
I can't tell you about the cantos, but he certainly favors a clear language with clear images in his translations (not The Seafarer) and in Personae.
>>
>>7765430
Sargon please go
>>
>>7764561
you must be new to literature brah.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.