[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats lits opinion on the school of life https://www.youtube
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: theschooloflifelogo8.gif (2 KB, 145x108) Image search: [Google]
theschooloflifelogo8.gif
2 KB, 145x108
whats lits opinion on the school of life
https://www.youtube.com/user/schooloflifechannel
>>
>>7757524
ultrapleb
a non-entity, etc
>>
you learn valuable lessons through actual rigourous practice and repetition
you dont learn shit from several minute long pop psychology ADD videos for redditors
>>
I find the videos completely out of focus. It's like they have misinterpreted all of it.
>>
>>7757524
I like it a lot. Lots of wisdom and a good perspective on life. They cover a great range of topics and issues we all experience in a human way.

Also great for introductions to thinkers that can help you decide what to read.
>>
It's entertainment, nothing more.
>>
'I'm too good for it'

'It's good because it introduces people to things in a friendly way'

These are the 2 answers, variously repackaged, that you're going to get
>>
It's okay. Nothing super profound if you know anything about philosophy and a liberal perspective on current events and capitalism.
>>
Too preachy
>>
>>7757524
actually got me to read start read more. i just started reading this summer
>>
Not only is a 10 minute video useful for anything other than killing time, but the contents of those 10 minutes is often misinterpreted and outright wrong. They mainly don't even do philosophy anymore, and are turning into a sort of pseudo intellectual buzzfeed that talks about sexting and miley cyrus but tries to dress it up as something of merit. Utter trash.
>>
>>7757524
I can't listen to Alain de Botton's voice for more than a minute.
>>
>>7758577
why don't you substantiate those hot claims
>>
>>7758586
If you want to learn about philosophy read a fucking book you dumb nigger. Those videos will never give more than a surface understanding and you fucking know it. Cry more faggot.
>>
>>7758598
the mark of a true intellectual, calling another a "faggot" when called out. *tips fedora*
>>
>>7757524
Alain de Botton is the worst.
>>
>>7757524
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TX6advvbDA
>>
>>7758586
They posted a video about Emma Watson yesterday, I think his point is proved.
>>
>>7759342
He unironically just compared her to Jesus. Christ!
>>
>>7757524
It's sub-entry level tier.
But it's comfy.
>>
I don't read philosophy, so I won't judge how correct those interpretations are, but it's kind of annoying when everything in their worldview boils down to sex.
>>
i'm too good for it
>>
It's good because it introduces people to things in a friendly way
>>
You autists do realize that philosophy really is a useless circlejerk unless it intersects with the lives of a large number of people in society, right? Most people aren't going to spend their time sitting alone in their parent's living room reading old books - if you want to make philosophy even slightly useful to the vast majority of people, you're going to need to phrase it in the language of mass media.

I watched an interview with the guy who made it. He described his approach as attempted to do what the catholic church did; boil down the complexity of theology to only the simple lessons that people will actually remember and then repeat it entertainingly until it gets in their head. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay more useful to society than a bunch of NEETs on the internet stroking themselves over intellectual rigour.
>>
>>7759247
AAAAAAAA MY EYES
>>
>>7757524
It's pop.
It oversimplifies and sometimes slightly misrepresents the positions of the philosophers, but it usually still captures some essence of the ideas.

I personally don't like it, but it is not terrible
>>
>>7760038
Philosophy is supposed to be absorbed by the upper tier of people and from there trickle down into the foundation pf the civilization, not directly distributed to the ilitterate classes by some bald hack who distorts everything to the point of unrecogizability. You think peasants read Plato? You think peasants will ever be able to read Plato?
>>
>>7760038

/lit/ seems to hate anything which attempts to provide a brief overview of a complex topic. They make the same complaint about the Crash Course series because they contain 'bias'. Forgetting that the entire point of the series is to provide an easy introduction to history intended for highschool classes. It hates Bertie Russell's "History of Western Philosophy" for being biased too, even though the introduction explains the approach taken very clearly and makes no pretenses about being completely impartial.

Why they don't appreciate that some people like to have a broader understanding before going into the details, I'm not sure.
>>
File: ivan-ilyich.jpg (10 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
ivan-ilyich.jpg
10 KB, 240x200
>>7760038
>You're going to need to phrase it in the mass media
That's what religion is for, you fucking idiot. If you read Schopenhauer then you would realise this. Also, philosophy is all about introspection. I hope this is fucking bait. If not then fuck off to r/books.
>>
>>7757524
Literal reddit plebs who misinterpret literally everyone so it gits their dumb agenda
>>
They butchered their Schopenhauer video. Literally provided 1/64th of 1% of his entire philosophy in a 9 minute video
>>
https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/why-does-alain-de-botton-want-us-to-kill-our-young/
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.