[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT : Meme books /lit/ tricked you into reading.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: meme book.gif (44 KB, 250x374) Image search: [Google]
meme book.gif
44 KB, 250x374
ITT : Meme books /lit/ tricked you into reading.
>>
gravity's rainbow
>>
>>7756981
>>>/tv/
>>>/v/
>>>/b/
>>
>>7756993
What's tvvb?
>>
I think Gatsby was a chill read, though expected much more.
>>
>>7756984
it feels so good to know how many angry plebs don't get or enjoy this masterpiece
i actually feel energized every time i hear someone complain that it's shit or gibberish or meaningless because i get it and have appreciated it
>>
Who told you to read gg? It's Reddit tier shit
>>
>>7756981
If you didn't already read this in high school I don't know what to tell you
>>
Hi, new to this board, not sure where to ask this so I though I'd use what seems to be a meme thread.

In English, words that start with 's' and then followed by a consonant like "strong", "smirk", "slime", "smile", etc are considered to have 1 or 2 syllables? I don't mean words like "shell", where there two first letters for a single phoneme.

Thanks.
>>
>>7757006
>accuses others of being plebs
>can't be arsed to use his shift key
>>
>>7757065

English is a weird as balls language bruh, don't worry about that stuff.
>>
>>7757065
One syllable
>>
>>7757065

I thought that that "that" that I said earlier had changed everything about our conversation.

Case in point.
>>
>>7757072
only plebs are arsed
nothing arses me boyo; i'm enlightened
>>
>>7757151
>improper use of semi-colon

kek
>>
>>7757065
follow up question for everyone in this thread (different anon here)

how many syllables does "Charles" have?
>>
>>7757160
just one if you say it quick, otherwise 2 or
>>
>>7757167
but which one is the correct answer?

or are syllables just a nonsense thing that don't matter in English?
>>
>>7756981
Tropic of Cancer
>>
>>7756981
>TGG
>meme book
>not the greatest work of prose ever
>>
>>7757160
It's one syllable for definite, my man. It's spoken in one syllable or else it sounds like you're stuttering a name that just falls off the tongue in one breath.
>>
I thought The Great Gatsby was unnecessarily flowery

But The Beautiful And The Damned was one of those books that makes you give up all ambitions of ever writing anything because of how perfect the prose was, the ways he described people and scenes in that book were genius and subtle, you can tell when people are trying hard and not quite hitting it
>>
>>7757065
one syllable
strong
smirk
slime
two syllables
smile
>>
>>7757323
I haven't read The Beautiful and Damned since high school. That prose was fantastic though, This Side of Paradise was thoroughly impressive as well.
>>
The stranger which I'm about to begin.
What's a good translation for it?
>>
>>7757303
It's a pretty shitty book, actually. And even looking at just the prose, it falls far short of countless works in its own century, much less throughout English history.
>>
>>7756981
You mean 9th grade?
>>
It wasn't /lit/, but Visconti tricked me into reading Il Gattopardo.
>>
>>7756981

Where did you get this, OP? Most /lit/ posts about The Great Gatsby are like this guy >>7759614 who are still butt mad they had to read a book (the horror!) from America in an American high school English class (the horror!) instead of Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>7757006
>>7757151
Superiority complex?
>>
>>7759682
uh no, but nice projection you got there. everyone here has read TGG in high school and are relatively over it
>>
They meme'd me into reading.
>>
>>7758287
Good translation for the stranger? Bump.
>>
File: bible.jpg (4 KB, 179x282) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
4 KB, 179x282
>>7756981
>>
>>7757159
he doesn't use a semi-colon remember?
>>
>>7760377
I meant the shift key
>>
>>7757065
Well now the whole thread has screeched to a stop.
>>
great gatsby is good
why are you mad even it's a pretty short book
also shouldn't you have already read it in high school?
>>
>>7757970
smile is one syllable you mongoloid

its not smi-yuhl it's SMAYL
>>
>>7757319
>char
>ulls
>>
>>7760763
that's not how syllables work
>>
>>7756981
I read this for the first time today. I thought it was pretty decent, the ending was quite sad, though I did find the writing a little superfluous at times
>>
>>7757160
australian accent = chahls
>>
>>7760943
Bostonian accent:Chahlzz
>>
>>7760952
>not kaaawlz
>>
>>7760763
Are you retarded or is English a second language to you?
>>
>>7760763
not how it's pronounced at all, m8
>>
>>7760364
I can't believe there are people who actually enjoy that piece of shit
>>
>>7756981
The Great Gatsby was pretty good, but Tender is the Night and The Love of the Last Tycoon proved to me that he was a hack.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.