[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question: Is Tao Lin autistic? I'm inclined to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: tlin.jpg (8 KB, 141x150) Image search: [Google]
tlin.jpg
8 KB, 141x150
Serious question: Is Tao Lin autistic?

I'm inclined to think that severe social anxiety and drug use have caused him to seem autistic.

I mean, the sorts of drugs he uses are all likely to cause to disassociation/derealization/depersonalization, which seems like a better explanation than autism. Just my 2 cents though.
>>
>>7754961
I can certainly believe autism, though I'd have to actually get a look at him in his normal life to see if he does any other of the common behaviors beyond just being a weirdo.

He's definitely got social anxiety. You might be able to chalk up the rest to being a drugged-out weirdo, but who knows?
>>
Do drugs help with SA?
Can I be a chad?
>>
>>7754998

Yes but if you go down that road you will NEVER learn how to communicate with people when you're sober.
It's not worth it.
>>
>>7755005
I'm anxious, not autistic, I know how to communicate.
I'd just rather not have to force myself into social situations.
>>
i don't think so, probably more like autistic-like effects induced by extremely long periods of isolated contemplation and deconstruction his emotions. drug use is also a major factor. from personal experience I know it's painful to act normal after an extended period of depersonalization. i think he mentioned trying to experience the world in a pre-linguistic state or something.
>>
>>7755005
yeah that way lies addiction friendo

you can try go get anxiolytics proscribed if you're having a really hard time, but if you get into social drugs you will never ever get over your problems

why do you think alcoholics are such lonely people?
>>
tao lin pls go
>>
Fuck off fatherdubs stop taoposting.
>>
>>7755015

You need to learn how to overcome your anxiety when your sober, drinking is just running away from it.
What will end up happening is you will never learn to initate contact when your sober and you won't be able to function without alcohol.

This is a serious problem because alcohol is an awful awful drug that will cause you alot of agony.
Just don't do it, it may make alot of sense to you but don't do it, just don't.
>>
>>7754998
Alcohol and nicotine? Sort of.
Weed? Definitely not.
Prescriptions? Depends.
>>
>>7754961
It's the MDMA. He used so much of it he seems like a zoned out zombie even when he's not on it now.
>>
>>7755015
I disagree with>>7755158
As you get older you'll be in fewer anxiety inducing situations, anxiety never really goes away as it's a facet of your personality. If drinking helps you cope for now, do it.
I certainly needed it as a social catalyst when I was young.
I guess I'm assuming you're young because otherwise you'd know the answer to your q.
>>
>>7755158
Sort of agree with >>7755912

One problem with not drinking is that you're more likely to be anxious or nervous. The more you socialize while anxious or nervous, the more likely you are to develop an association between your anxiety and socialization. This is one of the mechanisms that brings about anxiety in the first place. I'm not saying alcohol is a cure or anything. I'm just think it's sort of like training wheels.
>>
>>7755633

>Weed? Definitely not.

I've had the opposite experience. Completely helped with my overall mood and helped me work on my empathy and emotional openness. Never touched prescriptions drugs after. They turned me into a zombie. Memes aside weed really has helped for this anon.
>>
>>7756188
I'm jelly then. I developed nasty general and social anxiety after 2 years of smoking. I miss weed so much. Alcohol is so fucking boring, man.
>>
File: 1448809527118.jpg (48 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1448809527118.jpg
48 KB, 500x667
>>7756193
I hear you brother. Hope you overcome it one day.
>>
What idiot reader cares about the health of a minor writer like Tao Lin? It's his own business, people.
>>
>>7757258
It's well-known that Tao Lin posts here.

Coming in 2017 from New York shit publisher:

Tao Lin
>selected 4chan threads I started
>>
>>7754961
if you actually mean autistic in the proper medical sense of the word and not just as 4chan lingo then no its impossible for a non-autistic adult to become autistic through drug use

>>7754998
>>7756193
psychedelics can be used to help gain insight into the causes of your own social anxiety which can be helpful in overcoming it
>>
File: don't sit right with me.jpg (26 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
don't sit right with me.jpg
26 KB, 392x500
>>7757263
>yfw several of the threads were started by you
>>
>>7755017
I think this anon is right. Shutting yourself off from human contact has devastating effects on your social skills surprisingly, especially when you already have problems. I think this is probably a contributory factor in kids who who 'get' autism because plenty of them don't manifest until well into their childhood.
>>
>>7755015
Try coke or perhaps benzos if you're so inclined. Just don't get addicted.
>>
>>7756188
>>7756193
Weed can go either. It is really just a megaphone for your sensory-emotional feelings so if you can keep an even state of mind you learn a lot
>>
>>7757298
yeah, just use benzos if you want to completely destroy your brain
>>
Might be. Might just be social anxiety. There's a lot more to autism than having a blank expression in social situations.
>>
He talks about having really strange violent emotional outbursts with his mom and having social difficulties in his elementary and secondary schooling in Taipei. I mean I guess some of it could be fictional, but it seems he was weird before the drugs.
>>
Go to bed already fatherdubs!
>>
>>7757311
Let's talk about pscyhogoblins and lapins.
>>
>>7757263
Tao Lin has probably only heard of Reddit
>>
>>7759997
confirmed for redditor yourself
>>
>>7759997
hi neo-/lit/
>>
File: 1443484668816.jpg (240 KB, 1656x1009) Image search: [Google]
1443484668816.jpg
240 KB, 1656x1009
Nice job fucking Megan you less than one pump chump!
>>
>>7759997

he literally mentions 4chan in Taipei
>>
>>7757263
>>7759997

See >>7760402 and http://mdmafilms.tumblr.com

There's a link to an archived /lit/ thread on that tumblr.
>>
Wtf is mumble core and why the duck would I watch It. Who is this Chink? And who is that fatty?
>>
>>7760438
I believe you are referring to Danny and Yale. Lit's new power couple.
>>
>>7754998
There's no magical drug that will force you to overcome social anxiety. This is going to sound like shitty advice but, if you want to be less anxious about socializing, then socialize.

I had a therapist when I was in high school who made me make phone calls for the duration of every single one of our sessions for two months or so. I was terrified, and a little angry at him for making me do it in the first place, but now phone calls don't bother me a bit.

Another thing: don't be afraid of looking like an ass. It's better to speak and look like an autist, than say nothing and shut down. I made the most progress overcoming social anxiety during and after my worst social outings.
>>
>you will never have a 6/10 gf snort coke off your scrotum
>>
>>7760470
I take effexor for social anxiety. It works. So did getting a job selling people sunglasses at the mall. Dunno which one helped more.
>>
>>7760502
I was on Lexapro for a while, and in some ways it helped and in some ways it didn't. I made me quite a bit less anxious around people, but it didn't motivate me to socialize. I was totally comfortable sitting in compete silence with a group of people. It may have been awkward for them, but I didn't give a shit.

Everyone's experience is different, but I figure that no amount of medication or therapy alone will make your fear of socializing go away. They might help, but the key, in my experience, is facing your fear, and seeing that it really isn't so bad
>>
>>7760552
Yeah for sure. It just sucks that some people are so scared to even go out and try. That job at the sunglass store really threw me to the wolves and it helped a lot. People don't know you. They don't know your a bitch/fag/cool/retarded ,just pretend your not.
>>
>>7759997
in certain groups, 4chan is more well known than reddit. i'm guessing alt-lit might be that sort of group.
>>
>>7760566
Yeah, and it's terrifying and difficult to even get to that point. If it hadn't been for that therapist I mentioned in my first post, it would've taken me a lot longer to get there.

My experience with working, retail jobs especially, has been about the same as yours at the sunglasses store. They were also really great for practicing approaching people and holding conversations. Your manager basically tells you what to talk to people about, so you really don't have to think all that much. You can just focus on getting better.
>>
>>7754961
"In October 2014, Lin was accused by E. R. Kennedy of having statutorily raped Kennedy in 2006, when Kennedy was 16 and Lin was 22. Kennedy, a TRANS MAN... Lin agreed that he had sex with Kennedy."

Thats some hardocre autist chan shit
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.