[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never read anything by David Foster Wallace. Where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 450x338
I've never read anything by David Foster Wallace.

Where should I start?
>>
Just jump into IJ.
>>
>>7754440
I've attempted to read IJ a few times now and every time I try I get a horrible sense of pessimism. Is this just me, or...? DFW seems to me like he was a horrible pessimist.
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7754453
Didn't really feel that way to me, he just presents things as they are. When he is being pessimistic he adds a healthy does of humor.
>>
i like girl with curious hair. consider the lobster is also fun at times
>>
you dont
>>
I'm 60 pages into IJ and I'm bored, should I continue?
>>
>>7754500
If you aren't enjoying it 60 pages in its unlikely its for you.
>>
Consider the Lobster is a good and easy start to DFW's style.

From there I would go to Good Old Neon and maybe some other essays.
>>
Start with The Pale King.
>>
>>7754627
Cant tell if ironic or not but to OP do not start with or even try to read Pale King
>>
>>7754635
What this anon said, but be aware that Good People is one of DFW's best pieces of writing.
>>
OP here thanks all.

I've been told to start with his essays (like consider the lobster) to get a feel. IJ seems a daunting start, though am not rejecting it. But I ask in part because I just saw The David Foster Wallace Reader on Audible & have credits.
>>
I started with infinite jest. It's funny and sad. Pretty good observations about life. Like depression, drugs, video phones lol. There's no point to it. But it's entertaining.
>>
>>7754440
don't start. read gaddis instead. much more erudite, actually has a style, and is worth your fuckin time.
>>
>>7754704

So recommend to me, please.
>>
If you have the patience: Infinate Jest.
If you don't: Good Old Neon
If you his old articles from pre IJ: A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.
If you want anecdotes/ stories: Consider the Lobster or The View From Mrs. Thompson's.
>>
I started with Infinite Jest, yesterday actually, I'm 120 pages in and it's pretty good so far.
>>
>>7754635
>>7754658
What's wrong with The Pale King?
>>
>>7755501
nothing, but it's the last thing you should read by him.
>>
>>7755506
Why?
>>
>>7755531
It's his last work and tries to summarize a lot of what he had tried to write about before. It's also incomplete.
>>
>>7754440
The Broom of the System
>>
>>7754453
Well, he did kill himself.
>>
Absolutely start with Consider the Lobster, then Supposedly Fun Thing. If you want to read some of his fiction, go with either Oblivion or Brief Interviews (Interviews is much better in my opinion, but also much more dense.) If you really liked all of those then go to Broom of the System and Girl with Curious Hair.
>>
his essays are utterly masturbatory and banal.

he is living proof that getting laid doesn't cure your inner sperglord.
>>
>>7754440
Consider the Lobster, A Supposedly Fun Thing Ill Never Do Again

maybe Interviews With Ugly Men

then read IJ

alternatively you could dive into IJ immediately but I don't see the point considering everything I listed is a good read and you'll probably appreciate IJ more after that

listen to the interviews while reading IJ as well
>>
>>7756392
consider the lobster is fucking crap i hate the shit to be honest famalamadingdong say did that peewee hermann movie ever come out on amazon
>>
>>7754453
Its unbearably sad and bleak. The title comes from a quote in which hamlet is remembering how funny a jester named yorick was and how he used to cheer him up when he was sad while holding his skull. Its a great book but not one you read to feel better. Im not sure why it's not the first book on the exit core list desu.
>>
>>7756411
dfw is a cunt who loves to wallow in depression its basically just sentimental shit for plebs
>>
>>7756419
Only a pleb would think IJ is plebian.
>>
>>7756419
aka I don't have the attention span to finish the book so Im going to make fun of people who have
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.