[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We all like to claim we live the literary lifestyle, devoid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: MED41[1].jpg (381 KB, 2496x1664) Image search: [Google]
MED41[1].jpg
381 KB, 2496x1664
We all like to claim we live the literary lifestyle, devoid of any sort of arrogance or need for approval, quietly engaging in the life of contemplation that was much hyped by all those Greekz and Romanz.

But really, to what extent can you overcome desires present in your cognition (fame, power, etc) that have its root in evolutionary psychology?

Of course, some of them are more or less impossible to overcome I suppose (like hunger and thirst) but what about the rest?

Are Buddhists by and large deluded folk who actually satisfy their evolutionary need for pride and power by feeling like a part of a larger "enlightened" whole. I know a lot of Pali Buddhist texts really push the idea that monks are somehow "superior" to other people, now naturally, the Buddha would not dictate that his monks feel pride, but the fact is their "greatness" compared to the non-enlightened is noted. There are suttas that explicitly warn against monks who are in the bidness just for the fame, testifying that there are at least some famous monks who practice for a sense of pride.

Additionally, it seems that when meditation programmes are compared to other forms of group therapy (effectively controlling for factors such as "feeling a part of a community" and "reducing isolation") meditation itself is not that significantly effective.

In other words, it seems that even most meditation programmes (which are the ones that really stress inner-peace and solitude) seem to benefit users by satisfying their evolutionary need to be a part of a community.
Even the Buddha in Pali texts has stated the importance of having friends and companions (not spouses) in the community.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1809754
http://www.tricycle.com/blog/don%E2%80%99t-believe-hype
http://www.tricycle.com/blog/meditation-nation

TL;DR: Can the solitary literary lifestyle ever be satisfying or are we too wired to want to be rich and famous?
>>
>>7753473
Here is the general way i live
>I speak to those i am required to speak to
>I am friendly to an extent
>I don't get close to other people, it's not my style
>The only person i talk to properly is my girlfriend
>Other than her, i find it fairly easy to live a life of solitude, i just need her and no one else really
I never got the 'Part of a community' sort of thing, i never really liked being part of something like that, solitude has always suited me better
As for fame, i'd hate it. Power? I just have no interest.

Tl;dr i don't want to be rich and famous i just want to be /comfy/ with my girlfriend and i am
>>
>>7753491
>Tl;dr i don't want to be rich and famous i just want to be /comfy/ with my girlfriend and i am

How adorable anon, I hope things don't end as badly for you as they do for most young-adults who derive a great amount of satisfaction from their loved ones.
>>
File: 1445565392186.jpg (117 KB, 546x628) Image search: [Google]
1445565392186.jpg
117 KB, 546x628
>>7753473
you lay your troll in /lit/ too ?
>>>/sci/7893852
>>
>>7753540
It's not a troll though, I'm honestly curious.

I'm expecting /sci/ to give me the answers I need but I'm sure /lit/ is both more well-read on Buddhist literature and experienced in practicing a solitary lifestyle.
>>
>>7753540
troll trawling.
>>
I live the literary lifestyle in that I have a crippling fear of everything and am completely dependent on my parents and unable to leave home in my mid 20's.

I think that's the Dostoyevsky character lifestyle. The paralysis of Joyce's Dubliners too.
>>
>>7753473
>Even the Buddha in Pali texts has stated the importance of having friends and companions (not spouses) in the community.
In the Dhammapada the Buddha suggests living a solitary life if the only other option is having to live with people who are detrimental to your development towards enlightenment.

Of course, we can also talk about how taking refuge in the sangha (community of lay Buddhists and monks) is one of the 'three jewels' of being a Buddhist, but it's important to note that the Buddha didn't outright suggest we should live communally without any thought to it's effect to on our practice.
>>
>>7753473
I wouldn't be oto quick to call on your unwarranted ev psych ideology to dismiss other ideologies, original poster.
>>
> solitary literary lifestyle ever be satisfying

no you fucking retard you need a beautiful young muse and to feel the poverty richness of human stimulus.
>>
>>7753491

You do realize relationships end, right?
>>
>>7753473
I read exclusively on my Kindle. This way I can never be tempted to buy books purely so they look good on my shelf.
>>
>>7753653
Most obviously, i have put quite a bit of thought into what happens if/when it goes sour
But i'm content at the moment and it's really just one of those moments where you can't have a way to deal with it until it comes. Besides, i lived in perfect solidarity beforehand, no doubt if it goes sour my life will be more empty, but if i've done it before i'll do it again.

Maybe i'll visit r9k if it goes sour, kek
>>
>>7753473
>Of course, some of them are more or less impossible to overcome I suppose (like hunger and thirst) but what about the rest?
http://www.iep.utm.edu/epicur/#SH5b
>>
>>7753473
All forms of Buddhism deviate from some and focus on different things. Depending on the text will define what Buddhists value and what they don't (eg zen buddhism has toaist, confusionism influence). I had always thought they had meant greater as in they had cultivated their abilities which is aided by mediation such as being "mindful" which expands to empathy, awareness and self control. Meditation has been scientifically proven to at least improve a person's ability to control their mood and recognise their emotions and why they feel that way.

A lit life would be one where in which an individual examines his life and more importantly defines it himself, he doesn't follow the crowd because someone told him to or that he's been told that it will make his life more fulfilling. Life should be a manifestation of an individual's values and goals, if he values community then he should be within a community, if he values being surrounded by like minded people then he would do so, but if he values independence and solitude then he can also do so. You have to figure these things out yourself man.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.