[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was going to ask /tv/ this, but figured you guys would be the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 322605946_09de947fdb.jpg (106 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
322605946_09de947fdb.jpg
106 KB, 333x500
I was going to ask /tv/ this, but figured you guys would be the ones to ask instead. Is there a name for a type of character in a story like the fiddler from fiddler on the roof? Sort of like the theme embodied in a person? Usually not a central character, rarely contributes to the plot, but more of an interpretive role. closest thing I can think of is the Greek chorus, but that's not quite it. Another example is the accordion player from the movie Milagros Beanfield War.
>>
>no dick
Dropped.
>>
File: celery7.gif (1 MB, 179x290) Image search: [Google]
celery7.gif
1 MB, 179x290
>>7752260
Sorry bro.
>>
Google.
http://learn.lexiconic.net/characters.htm
>>
>>7752265
Not OP, but that doesn't go into the depth that he probably needs.

I'm holding my card because OP is a tool and I wanna see him struggle a little longer.
>>
>>7752265
What did you search for? Seemed like a really specific thing for google. I was wondering if there was a more specific character title like "manic pixie dream girl" or something like that.
>>
>>7752279
"types of characters in literature"
>>
>>7752288
I appreciate the effort, but >>7752273 is right; I'm looking for a more exact type than symbolic, if there is one. Under that umbrella could be all sorts of characters, from Tyler Durden to Jiminy Cricket.
>>
>>7752292
Was I also right that you need to struggle longer? Because I'm really insecure about my knowledge and sharing it with people I don't know.
>>
>>7752292
Caricature?
>>
>>7752296
I'll be struggling until I find an answer, so if that's what you're looking for, there ya go.
>>
>>7752298
Aren't they usually parodies that exaggerate certain characteristics? Doesn't quite feel right.
>>
>>7752308
Yeah that's probably not what you're looking for. So you're looking for a synonym for 'a character who symbolizes'?
>>
>>7752312
More of an embodiment. They're often sage characters who dispense advice at crucial points in the plot when they do anything at all.
>>
>>7752257

car·i·ca·ture

noun. a picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.

synonyms: cartoon, parody, satire, lampoon, burlesque; informalsendup, takeoff
>>
>>7752328
Nope, the fiddler wasn't a charicature. Not exaggerated, not a parody. More earnest in intent than to poke fun.
>>
>>7752328
It's astonishing the amount of illiterates on /lit/.
>>
A manifestation of? An avatar?
>>
>>7752367
Avatar is closer, but these aren't deity figures.

I appreciate the help though, guys. This has bugged me for a while. How would you describe the fiddler?
>>
>>7752357
/lit/ - Il/lit/erates Only

Personally I would not consider them illiterate, perhaps sophomoric and incompetent. That's why as a Wolfe fan, I keep complaining here about the weaknesses of other Wolfe fans. They make him look bad.
>>
Anthropomorphic Personification
>>
>>7752381
Hm. Not as elegant a title, but yeah, that's pretty much it. Is that how they're usually labelled?
>>
File: BENWAY.png (786 KB, 818x712) Image search: [Google]
BENWAY.png
786 KB, 818x712
OR: Synechdochal characterization

The Doctor character who stands for ALL DOCTORS or the entire medical practice
>>
>>7752381
Oi, is that a pillow under your robes, m8?
>>
>>7752367
These were the first two things that came to my mind as well.
>>
Thanks again for the help, guys.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.