[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Odyssey or Iliad? which one is better? why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 640x485) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 640x485
Odyssey or Iliad? which one is better? why?
>>
>>7751427
Aenid
>>
>>7751430
Read it. wasn't impressed. seriously though. which one is better? which do you prefer at least? why? why did you read it? I thought you /lit/ guys were smart. /his/ jumped right on it. i guess /his/ is more /lit/ and patrician than /lit/ is.
>>
Odyssey because things happen

>Illiad
>So anyway, A killed B and C, D killed E, F killed G and H, etc
>>
>>7751862
The Odyssey is fucking bland as shit. Barely anything happens and when it does it happens way too fast.

>all those give gift chapters
>>
>>7751862
things happen after the battles too. The fun in the Odyssey stops when he gets home and plays undercover boss for half the book
>>
File: dante homer virgil.jpg (105 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
dante homer virgil.jpg
105 KB, 265x265
patrician: inferno
plebeian: odyssey & iliad
contrarian: aeneid
>>
Odyssey

Illiad is a fucking bore, honestly.
>>
>>7751886
You might as well have listed IJ.

Iliad was way more fun to read to my kid.
>>
File: le excited redditor.png (7 KB, 604x554) Image search: [Google]
le excited redditor.png
7 KB, 604x554
>>7751890
>it was fun
>>
>>7751470
Probably because the Aeneid is more blatantly a work of propaganda. Those types of works tend to suck.
>>
>>7751893
Since Homer was an oral poet trying to entertain people, its completely relevant you pseud shitter.

I'm sure when he spoke in front of some dark age headman they criticized his poor use of theme
>>
>>7751901
everyone say hi to /a/b/v/
>>
>>7751886
ovid >>> homer > dante > virgil

the best writers are those who can write shamelessly with a sense of humor. life is funny, to deny that is to take yourself too seriously
>>
>>7751900
>blatantly a work of propaganda
Then explain the gate of Ivory
>>
>>7751907
ovid isn't a cornerstone of the canon in the way the other three are.
>>
>>7751915
this guy
>>
>>7751921
have you not read bloom?
>>
>>7751915
lool. metamorphoses is more influential on art than all of them combined
>>
OP here. so, lemme get this straight. The Odyssey is exciting during the first half, but not really, the iliad is flat out dull, virgil was writing fan fiction, and ovid is the one i should read instead?
>>
>>7751924
Have you, ya little fuck? None of those writers are listed among the most influential cornerstones.
>>
>>7751939
/v/ letting us know they're still here
>>
>>7751945
The myths were an inspiration on Dante, Virgil and other writers too, ya fuckin' wanker. Piss off to Reddit.
>>
>>7751944
>There is general agreement on the indispensable canon: Homer, Plato, the Bible, Virgil, Dante, Chaucer, Cervantes, Shakespeare, Montaigne, Milton.
>>
>>7751951
>ya fuckin' wanker
>piss off
is this the latest harry potter film
>>
>>7751907
Ovid sucks donkey dicks. Petronius FTW.
>>
>>7751954
Have you read the Western Canon? He doesn't mention over any of those in depth but merely in passing. They are in the list in the back however.
>>
I've only read the Iliad, but I really liked it. Read Fagels. I'd like to read lattimore or fitzgerald next time.
>>
>>7751907
Um, no.

D > H > Hesiod > O > V
>>
>>7751967
looks like you skipped the introductory chapter and the chapter on dante. you might be retarded.
>>
>>7751900
Then what is not propaganda? The Odyssey includes a slave who had been kidnapped as a kid by the evil phoenicians and bought by the noble Odysseus, a man he absolutely loves. The plight of Odysseus is caused by a disregard for the divine authority and the happy ending is Odysseus regaining his rightful kingdom and butchering each single suitor. It has a different ideologic bend than the aeneid but it isn't outside ideology. it is a song produced for all the little kings and slaver citizens of the iron age greece.
>>
>>7751999
From my post:
>more blatantly

I consider all 3 shamelessly propagandist. The Roman was more shameless though.

For counter examples, Rimbaud and Beckett wrote works that could hardly be considered political, and either were likely to have killed themselves rather than impose their will over large demographics of people.
>>
I believe most college professors would say "The Iliad". It is incredibly relevant, especially to modern Americans, given all the war.
>>
>>7752129
but the iliad isn't really "about" war, that's just the setting, r u one of those mongs who thinks gravity's rainbow is about rockets lol
>>
Achilles > Odysseus
>>
>>7752161
lol u so smart
>>
>>7751427
Odyssey because Odysseus and his son absolutely wreck shit.
>>
>>7752167
imperial detected
>>
>>7752167
Diomedes > Achilles the Crybaby Bitch
>>
File: 1452509213647.jpg (66 KB, 718x766) Image search: [Google]
1452509213647.jpg
66 KB, 718x766
>implying the only epics i've read aren't Beowolf and Paradise Lost
>>
>>7751427
I prefer the odyssey
I like all the crazy stuff and how lost they get

Illiad is like reading a story about a party noone wanted to go to and then all coolest people die
>>
>>7752301
>Beowolf
>>
>>7751427
The Tanakh
>>
>>7752161

Maybe you just don't get it. One day you wont be 13 years old anymore, and realisation will come crashing down on your manchild worldviews.
>>
>>7752301

>that pic
well that's just depressing. thanks for that i guess.
>>
>>7751951
>dante
>virgil
>>>/v/
>>
I'm reading Iliad right now and am seriously wondering why anyone suggests starting with the greeks

> Half the book is just lists of names of random people
> The 'gods' act like children
> 'Godlike' Achilles lets half of the greek army die because hes having a temper tantrum for 3/4 of the book
> Every mortal is completely useless because everything is decided by whoever the gods decide to intervene for
>>
>>7752344
oh hey, my buddy from the other thread. how's it goin?
>>
>>7752344
>Every mortal is completely useless because everything is decided by whoever the gods decide to intervene for

Achilles anger let him defy the gods, until he fucked up and let patroclus go out dressed in his armor (which didn't fit properly so he got smoked) and then his anger switched from letting him defy fate, to forcing him to follow his fate...it's all about free will dude and human emotions, do we have free will or are we just driven by our emotions and reactions to external events? the fact that it happened on a battlefield makes the stakes that much higher but it could have been at a fucking pokemon convention and still had the same grand themes
>>
File: 1456353967983.jpg (9 KB, 338x338) Image search: [Google]
1456353967983.jpg
9 KB, 338x338
>>7752343
>le current year
>not realizing that Dante borrowed heavily from Metamorphoses
>>
>>7752376
>le current year
>george has only moved a few frames
>>
>Iliad
you really have to be a man to get this book and being gay helps considering the good bits are Achilles rage over his lover being killed, one anon said rage is what this poem is all about and I agree.

>odyssey
more generally understood by different people. it is both a journey story and a story of a man coming home from war after being separated for his family for so long. (the part in his house does go on way to long tho)

both of these books offer a much more than a story. it tells a lot about Greek society, culture customs and attitude. it also tells us a lot about sung epics. read world of Odysseus if you haven't already.

in the end its the oldest storys from the west and well always be important.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.