[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Notebooks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
File: National 033.jpg (53 KB, 864x576) Image search: [Google]
National 033.jpg
53 KB, 864x576
Hello /lit/

I'm not sure if this is discussed much, but I'd like to talk about notebooks/pads. I'm interested in what others use. I'd like to buy one like the one depicted (except a bit shorter), but it doesn't look like National is manufacturing model 81-351 anymore.

I'm sorry for the slightly blurry pictures, but I was in bad lighting when I took them.
>>
who the fuck cares

this is a LITERATURE discussion board
>>
>>7751338

Apparently you cared enough to reply.

While empty bindings aren't "literature" they become so when they are written in
>>
File: 1439319675544.png (177 KB, 369x338) Image search: [Google]
1439319675544.png
177 KB, 369x338
>>7751347
>>
>>7751347
Don't listen to that faggot, OP. I bet he's the same self-satisfied shit who is shitposting all over my thread. Have you considered cruising second-hand stores or antique stores? Or eBay?
>>
>>7751700

I actually found the notebook, with other books, in a dumpster. I was hoping to get a new one or one like it.

I'd use this one, but it has several bookworm holes in it and it's a bit taller than I want.

Most "notebooks" are just many ruled sheets of paper strung together by a wire, while this is like a small canvas binder.

I'll look around some more on ebay.
What kind of notebook do you use?
>>
File: Charmin.jpg (97 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Charmin.jpg
97 KB, 600x600
>>7751732
I don't use notebooks, anon, but I can appreciate that someone (you) might like something different than what I do. I'd say that eBay is probably your best bet. Just try a search term like "vintage notebook" or some such and you should have some luck.

I'm with you (I think) in that I also have an affinity for vintage items. Good luck in your search. Crowded antique malls (the kind where not all of their shit is behind glass) can be a treasure trove for items like the one you're seeking, as well.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>7751753
Thanks Anon.

I've accumulated most of my library from thrift stores. It's a shame I can't order from National themselves; it looks like their webpage is dead.

The Charmin commercials always were queer.
>>
>>7751347
congrats on taking shitposting to new levels of stupid
>>
File: notebook.jpg (398 KB, 2920x1404) Image search: [Google]
notebook.jpg
398 KB, 2920x1404
>>7751732
I make my journals and notebooks, i'm a bookbinder.
My favorite one has to be this one simple and neat.
>>
>>7751780

How far does your profession go?
Do you ever print materials or do you normally only make and repair books themselves?
>>
>>7751780
> I make my journals and notebooks, i'm a bookbinder.

Now THAT is cool.
>>
>>7751314
i mainly use index cards and legal pads. i work mostly by bricolage, and holding down a notebook usually ends up being a futile project. i suppose I prefer to keep my thoughts in many places.
>>
>>7751794
I print materials too, but since i use a heated press with mobile characters (literally just a bit ahead of Gutenberg style press printing) it's a really time consuming process. I mostly use golden foil and a variety of tools to sketch lines and angles on the covers.
My favorite thing to do, anyway, is coming up with new materials/patterns to get unique covers instead of going crazy with gold and intricate printed details.
>>
>>7751810

Index cards get lost unless I'm at my desk.
A legal pad is too large to put anywhere besides a briefcase.

What do you write on when you're shopping somewhere or just taking notes?
>>
>>7751815

Neat, do you have any photographs of your favourite covers?

Has the price of materials gone up in recent years?
Ho long have you been in the business?
>>
File: covers.jpg (382 KB, 3080x1919) Image search: [Google]
covers.jpg
382 KB, 3080x1919
>>7751834
My favorite covers until now are these three probably, but it's really up to personal taste, i had customers fall in love with covers that i find really ugly and others hating my favorite pieces.
Leather had the worst spike in price these years, finding decent quality leather at an affordable price is really hard so i had to work with fake leather more often than not.
It's been ten years, i started by doing handywork around in the shop, like cutting paper all day and moved on to the design part of the job only much more later.
>>
File: notebook_attempt.jpg (871 KB, 2412x1808) Image search: [Google]
notebook_attempt.jpg
871 KB, 2412x1808
>What kind of notebook do you use?
I tried. It didn't turn out quite like I envisioned.

>>7751780
That's really sweet anon.
>>
>>7751935
If I may ask, what are we looking at here?
>>
>>7751822
Cell phone's text message client, either to myself or not sent at all.
Nice dubs
>>
>>7752054
Clipboards with holes drilled for snap-rings (I sawed the clip part off the front one). It's a notebook.
>>
>>7752054
The results of autism.

It looks like he took a clipboard (two clipboards?) punched holes through it(them?), rings from a binder, and taped it for some reason after welding the rings shut or something.
>>
>>7751865

I like the one to the left. How durable are they?
I've always had an affinity for the canvas wrapped hard boards(?) that used to be used for most old large hardbacks; I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

The new pressed wood covers fall apart if they ever suffer water damage while you only have to be careful pulling the pages apart if an old book got wet.

Leather has always seemed to be a poor choice for book covers.

How large is the company?
>>
>>7752093
>it didn't turn out quite like I envisioned
I kekd
>>
>he doesnt have his own collection of canonical works self-printed, and self-binded

Wew lad

Stay pleb
>>
>>7753015
>"binded"
>not "bound"

wew
>>
>>7751314
Imo, i think moleskine are pretty good, if you can turn a blind eye to the shitty marketing scheme about famous historical people using them
There was some Italian handmade brand which i used and they were pretty damn good
I have this little sturdy notebook that i use as a bucket list too, easy to carry, good quality, bought it at waterstones.
Honestly it's just trial and error until you find the right one for you
>>
I personally don't care much about material goods but whenever I happen to be in Chapters/Indigo I'll see the Moleskine notebooks by the cash register and wish I had enough money to buy one.

I'd just buy a relatively sturdy and nice-looking notebook from a dollar store, but that's just me.
>>
I really really like the softcover moleskines, makes for a great companion (plus the fact that they look pretty cool).
>>
File: JJ_Darboven_Koff.jpg (3 MB, 2521x3361) Image search: [Google]
JJ_Darboven_Koff.jpg
3 MB, 2521x3361
>>7753577
>>7753561
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhZGHQtCCk
Watch this and learn how to make your own
Her channel is full of hobby bookbinding stuff too, including midori instructions which I think are far superior (woodsman aesthetic gives me a stiffy every time)
>>
>>7755043
Anon, you have changed my life.

I am leaving on a voyage of self discovery, and may perhaps break free of that clipboard abomination. There were tears.
>>
4chan way of buying thing:
>rigorously research thing
>find most obscure 'patrician' version
>argue about many kinds of that thing
>bitterly defend preference and attack anyone who prefers another type of that thing

normal person way:
>go into WHSmith
>find thing that is cheap and looks ok
>buy it
>>
File: 1362267948997.gif (185 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1362267948997.gif
185 KB, 250x250
>>7755238
>2016
>not having the same preference as me
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>7752989
I know, right? What was he expecting it to look like?
>>
>>7753561
>>7753577
Moleskines are for pseud fucks who care more about looking "literary" than actually writing and have too much money on their hands. I don't care how the thing I'm going to fill up with my scribbles looks like. I just buy those shitty made in PRC 100 page graph paper notebooks from the 99 cent store and use them.
>>
File: c.jpg (12 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
12 KB, 355x355
I go for these. why? because I can steal them from the supply cabinet at work
>>
>>7755687
Aesthetics weren't included in my design requirements. Unfortunately it wasn't very convenient for its intended use, with predictable results.
>>
>>7751314
not for having a fancy notepad you'll write better
>>
>>7755909
Maybe moleskines feel good to rub your dick against.
>>
>>7751780
glorious
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.