[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>translation This is the worst meme here. Prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: taxi-driver-19761.png (462 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
taxi-driver-19761.png
462 KB, 1000x563
>translation

This is the worst meme here.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>I'm retarded and can only speak one language
Yeah, no.
>>
File: apostrophe_queen.png (53 KB, 659x315) Image search: [Google]
apostrophe_queen.png
53 KB, 659x315
>>7748479
translation is a tricky subject in literature
but yeah, pretty much the worse meme here To Be Honest My Very Dear Family
>>
>>7748479

It really is the worst

Everyone here who actually reads, reads translations.
>>
File: huevo.jpg (24 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
huevo.jpg
24 KB, 720x480
>>7748481
You're retarded or a low-tier shitposter. Either way, you can speak 3 languages and still need translations.

>>7748485
Tricky no doubt, and impossible most of the time if we're talking poetry.
>>
>>7748481
If you speak a first language and also English, it hardly counts, because our world basically makes everyone predisposed to speak English in some venue or another. If you're, say, French, before you tell an anglophone that they're uncultured for only speaking English, you should learn Russian.

>>7748502
I agree with you there in part, but translators are often just as technically skilled as the poets. I usually avoid translated poetry, but when I've run into it, it's not been noticeably worse than English poetry
>>
>>7748487
its very prevalent meme on /lit/ because very few people here actually read
>>
Baudelaire's translations of Poe being better than Poe
Lin Shu's translations of Western novels being better in Classical Chinese than their shitty counteparts
Burton's translation of Arabian Nights (and Borges' essay on the translators of the Arabian Nights)
Any translation of Haruki Murakami
>>
>>7748479
I think French prose translates well into English, and so does German poetry with a skilled helmsman making the attempt. This is due to the similarities of the languages. The tricky bit is that German prose uses simpler words; even Goethe is pretty casual in the original, but horribly stuffy in English.

The more distant languages fare worse. Before I learned Russian, I thought Tolstoy was unreadable, just shit. But there's a beauty to Death of Ivan Ilyich which doesn't transfer; even moreso with Chekhov. I honestly have been blown away by the sublime beauty of Russian lit, it's a very subtle tone which is much harder to capture in English. Part of that is the greater prevalence of metaphors and "literary" words in everyday speech. They just don't have the pretentious tryhard ring of their English equivalents
>>
I bet OP is a monolingual subvocalizing redditor
>>
>>7748668
Spanish, English and German, going to learn Japanese now. I focus on languages I find interesting. I still need translations for Russian, French, Italian, Portuguese, and so on. Your point?
>>
>>7748848
>going to learn Japanese now

ウィアブー奴、日本語のような何のためにならない言語を勉強するんじゃねぇ。代わりにチンク語を学べ。
>>
>>7748848
I don't know what is more cute, the fact that you feel the need to impress an anonymous stranger with obvious lies or the fact you felt the need to explain you needed translations for languages you didn't claim to know. either way you're an idiot.
>>
>>7748880
>じゃねぇ
gay
>>
>>7748915
One problem with men learning Japanese in a class setting is that the teachers are often women, so the men wind up talking a bit too effeminate
>>
File: sf.png (5 KB, 850x144) Image search: [Google]
sf.png
5 KB, 850x144
>>7748915
>>7748937
>http://girlschannel.net/topics/308519/
>女性が使うと違和感のある言葉

Perhaps rethink.
>>
>>7748950
LONDON
>>
>>7748950
this is because it's gyaru-types that use it
the extra ぇeven more so
you lick cocks
>>
>>7748569

It counts anyway. I'm Swedish, the English level of the average citizen is very high but everyone stick to translations anyway. The few who try to read in English should recieve proper credit.
>>
>>7748479

You. Will never get the real experience if you read Savage Detectives (Accents, modisms) or Hopscotch (prose) in English

Those are just two examples.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.