[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think he is autistic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 23-thomas-pynchon.w190.h190.2x.jpg (11 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
23-thomas-pynchon.w190.h190.2x.jpg
11 KB, 380x380
Do you think he is autistic?
>>
>>7748040
Every genius is. It's an affliction that we must endure for the sake of greatness.
>>
>>7748056
>we
kek
>>
File: jesus_chon.png (472 KB, 471x471) Image search: [Google]
jesus_chon.png
472 KB, 471x471
>>7748040
>Do you think he is autistic?
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>7748082
I thought he meant we the audience, not we the geniuses

>only 3 unique IPs after four posts

wew lads
>>
Sure. It's basically impossible to be that intelligent without being autistic. I mean, just listen to Kripke speak sometime.
>>
>>7748555
I meant "we" as in us geniuses (not including you of course)
>>
File: citation needed.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
citation needed.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>>7748561
>It's basically impossible to be that intelligent without being autistic.
>>
>>7748614
I kind of agree with him, in order to be that talented in a specific thing you have to neglet other things.
>>
File: leonardo-da-vinci-retrato.jpg (143 KB, 650x393) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-da-vinci-retrato.jpg
143 KB, 650x393
>>7748627
What if I am a polymath?
>>
>>7748648
Not possible in this age, too much shit to learn
>>
>>7748648
The last great polymath was Quine. Do what you can.
>>
>>7748627
Was Ahab autistic?
>>
>>7748056
Pynchon ain't no genius, you pleb.
>>
>>7748662
Quine didn't know much about physics though (Putnam said this). A better candidate would be, well, Putnam: solved Hilbert's 10th problem (maths, logic, compsci), pioneered computational philosophy of mind (functionalism), has written extensively on quantum mechanics and general relativity, and is all-around heavyweight in analytic philosophy (philosophy of maths, perception, epistemology, ethics, etc.).
>>
>>7750343
Dern tootin', he ain't.
>>
>>7750362
Most of these are hard sciences, even his philosophy works.
Maybe you're write, but I don't think he was in the level of old polymaths.

Not that any "genius" alive is, of course.
>>
>>7748648
If you're a working pleb (so basically everyone) it will be hard enough to specialize let alone become a polymath

Thing of the past
>>
>>7750749
>If you're a working pleb (so basically everyone) it will be hard enough to specialize let alone become a polymath
Why is this? Why were people of the past able to do so but people of the present cannot? Is there too much competition, too much information?
>>
>>7750736
>you're right
Fix'd
>>
>>7748040
Autism is a modern phenomenon caused by spectacle overload/societal collapse/processed foodstuffs. The Autist is the ideal being of the late capitalist system. A totally insular consumer unit capable of withstanding mind numbing tech labor, totally absorbed by videogames 'nerd culture' etc
>>
File: 1416700691309.jpg (76 KB, 598x598) Image search: [Google]
1416700691309.jpg
76 KB, 598x598
>>7748056
>>7748561
>>7750775
Only in this board that would be possible.
>>
File: muscle juice.jpg (151 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
muscle juice.jpg
151 KB, 2448x3264
Most diagnosed autistic people I know were complete idiots who were below functional both in terms of pure intelligence and in daily conduct

If he was autistic he wouldnt have the mental malleability, level of humour or the awareness to write his kind of book

He would have ended up writing a dictionary in a language he made up or some other weird obsessive thing no one gave a shit about
>>
As someone who works with Autistic people I seriously don't understand where this whole 'Autism = super smarts' comes from. yeah some of them can remember long numbers or how to solve puzzles, but they can't teach or explain these skills and they sure as fuck can't learn new and important ones.
>>
>>7753931

It's a meme, just ignore their idiocity.
I'm autistic myself and I know how shitty it is.

Also it's very important to a real e/lit/ist to look smarter than the rest of the board, and since probably more than a half of this whole board is asperger/autistic, they use this to show their superiority.
>>
>>7751684
>If he was autistic he wouldnt have the mental malleability, level of humour or the awareness to write his kind of book
This
I've known a few legit autists and even the high-functioning ones had absolutely no sense of humour
>>
>>7753931
>can't teach
>can't learn new and important ones
I thought people were just memeing me in replies. Maybe I really have some disability.
>>
>>7753931
>>7751596
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2988410/Autism-linked-higher-intelligence-People-genes-related-condition-scored-better-mental-ability-tests.html
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.