[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Tunnel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: tunnelgass.jpg (41 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
tunnelgass.jpg
41 KB, 312x475
Is it an elaborate meme? Complete trash? A masterpiece? Plz explain.
>>
>>7747254
It is like Gaddis, only Gaddis knew how to drew a line in the sand, and Gass forgot the border between the literary and pure rambling.

On the other hand, it is quite authentic ... true to its narrator.
>>
i wonder, if i repeatedly posted enthusiastically and authoritatively enough about my favourite book (the unconsoled) would it also become a /lit/ meme?
would i want that?
>>
>>7747279
That's how memes are born, anon. Just look at [s4s], that's pretty much all that goes on there.
>>
TWO TUNNEL THREADS AT ONCE.
IJ STEP ASIDE, WE HAVE A NEW MEMBER OF THE MEME TRILOGY.

ALL HAIL GASS
>>
>>7747254
Yes, in every sense of the word, it is a masterpiece: it addresses and analyzes the nature of war, language, and art; through the many visuals and personal experiences it delineates, it explains the subjectivity of history, and, more, shows us its underbelly, the inside of its tunnel. But it doesn't just show us history's tunnel: through William Kohler--the skeleton in humanity's closet--it shows us man's and, perhaps, our own; it grants us the opportunity to take a peek and poke around in a mind that, as I like to say, made the holocaust possible; and, because we are, I assume, all human--because we all hate--it lets us take a look at ourselves as we are at our worst.

In short, it is a wonderfully written work brimming--sometimes spilling--with content, and, regardless of what people will tell you, it will be remembered as the most important piece of fiction written in the last 50 years.
>>
>>7747358
Well I'm sold. Thank you Gass-man.
>>
>>7747386
Don't thank me: thank Gass.
>>
File: recognitions-nadas.jpg (178 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
recognitions-nadas.jpg
178 KB, 750x500
>>7747279

i don't think lit would even get behind something as mainstream as the unconsoled/ishiguro...has to be fairly obscure and complicated and long

i nominate parallel lives by peter nadas

don't know shit about it but why not?
>>
>>7747445
Parallel Stories is great. Don't make it a meme.
>>
>>7747445
the unconsoled is pretty obscure. lots of people like ishiguro, but no one reads or talks about this one, which is the long, weird, abstract one
>>
>>7747445
>>7747454
its a good book but despite its relative weirdness it's quite readable. and nowhere near his best imo but that's subjective. one of my favorite working writers though
>>
>>7747449

yeah it seems good. and don't worry i won't
>>
I'm reading this just now (mainly because of Gassposter. Thanks Gassposter.), got about 50 pages left. I don't read a lot of postmodern stream-of-consciousness type stuff (why am I even here?), so I found the first 50 pages or so almost unbearably pretentious, but once it settles down it's great. Does seem to touch on just about every aspect of human life. I'm not sure I'll come away from it feeling like my life has been changed, but I know a lot of the themes and vignettes will keep coming back to me. Recommended if you're looking for a pretentious doorstopper that's actually quite fun to read.
>>
>>7747445
>implying any book of the Meme Trilogy is in any way obscure
>>
>>7748790
Lol true. It's obviously a meme. if you just open the book and look at the pages you can see its a meme. But I'm sure Gass took it serious. I don't even see why infinite jest is a m3m3. It's not that weird and it's popular and its an entertaining read that just doesn't amount for much. It's also poorly written I think we should trade IJ for the tunnel as meme trio
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.