[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how is Dickens' black sheep? Pretty much never discussed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: A_Tale_of_Two_Cities.jpg (323 KB, 774x1280) Image search: [Google]
A_Tale_of_Two_Cities.jpg
323 KB, 774x1280
So how is Dickens' black sheep?

Pretty much never discussed outside of the first paragraph and the "far better thing that I do" scene. Do people still read this? Is it good?
>>
I have had this book for four years, and can never get past the second chapter.

I'm probably missing out on a great story, but those chapters are so boring.
>>
>>7746343

Honestly I have a hard time even understanding the first dozen pages. The book really makes me feel dumb.
>>
>>7746317
it's a good book
>>
>>7746454

How good on a scale of one to two?
>>
>>7747195
pi
>>
>>7746317
all i can remember from the book is the funeral riot. I broke out laughing because it all just seemed ludicrous to me.
>>
>>7746317
People still read it because it's still on some high school reading lists. It's not particularly good. I liked its somewhat contemptuous portrayal of late-18th c. London. I remember Sydney Carton and that he died in place of some Victorian idealized woman's husband ("far, far better thing..."), although I don't remember either of their names.
>>
it's pretty shit.

both the plot and the prose are shit and the characters are shit.
>>
I read it a few years ago, and loved it. I think the themes and portrayal of the selflessness of love are gorgeous. Admittedly, it is a slow burner, and required a lot of slogging through the boring early chapters before the book really grabbed me and became a joy to read rather than a chore.

Admittedly, I read this before I was into reading literature; so it is possible that it seemed better than it truly was, and would disappoint the seasoned /lit/izen.
>>
>>7749131
this.
>muh knotting needles
>>
>>7749165
>insinuating that /lit/izens read
well memed
>>
>>7746317
He wrote it as a newspaper serial if I recall, which is pretty much what it was - a way to make money. It's not as good as most of his other works, but it's a bit easier to engage with than some of his other writing as a consequence. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your temperament.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.