[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books written by someone that didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1455597881644.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1455597881644.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
Are there any good books written by someone that didn't read much, i.e. they are a good writer by are not influenced by previous authors or much of the canon (inasmuch as it is possible to learn to write without adopting certain historical influences through the language itself)?
>>
no.

every good writer reads a shitton
>>
>>7742391
Thats what i figured, but thought maybe there'd be a couple extreme outliers
>>
Outsider literature is only endearing in its banality. The majority of it is garbage or schizophrenic manifestos. The whole concept of outsider art centers on patronization.
>>
>>7742386
I would recommend My Tisted World by Elliot Rodger
>>
>>7742386
they are a good writer but are not influenced by previous authors or much of the canon

The possibility of such a thing is a myth. This is what was thought about Homer before the 20th century, or even about Shakespeare... think of Milton referring to "sweetest Shakespeare, fancy's child / Warbl[ing] his native Wood-notes wild." Wordsworth and Coleridge thought that they could emphasize the natural poetry of the rustic figure, and Burns collected Scotch ballads with a similar intent. The "natural" genius of literature cannot exist, since the conditions that allow that genius to express itself are fostered through extensive literary education (i.e. reading and writing).

I do, by the way, believe in genius as an uncommon gift of the imagination, rather than being merely the product of historical forces. It's just that genius needs to be fostered and nurtured to arrive at it's potential.
>>
Whoever wrote the Epic of Gilgamesh
Homer
>>
>>7742391
not a shitton really
people usually forgets how, due to the time when they lived, even real cultured guys had no more than 200 books back in the days. of course, they read them tons of times.
>>
>>7742529
wrong. they read a lot of books that no longer survive/aren't read today.
>>
>>7742531
not really mane. back then producing and getting information wasn't as cheap and easy as it is today
>>
>>7742546

Shut up, hes right. if u spent ur life reading and writing u were an idiot if u couldnt get a hold of alot of shit. and that counts a good 1000 years back in time.
>>
>>7742723
Kek. Nietzsche or Schopenhauer knew pretty much the same as we do now about buddhism for example
>>
File: Homer_Simpson_2006.png (50 KB, 239x391) Image search: [Google]
Homer_Simpson_2006.png
50 KB, 239x391
>>
>>7742386
Roberto Arlt
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.