[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. What could somebody do with Political Sciences and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1363957873341.jpg (142 KB, 780x900) Image search: [Google]
1363957873341.jpg
142 KB, 780x900
Hey /lit/. What could somebody do with Political Sciences and Philosophy out of writing?
>>
speech writer
biographer
political think tank
reporter, journalist
walmart greeter
>>
starbucks
>>
>>7742295
>walmart greeter

>>7742301
>starbucks

Why is this so real?
>>
I have those degrees and I, no joke, work in a coffee shop.

Other people with those degrees I know have worked with think tanks. I haven't been so lucky. But I also didn't kiss the ass of any Straussians, which they did.
>>
>>7742652
So it's all about kissing asses if you want to progress?

Seems to be a career that you study because you love it.
>>
File: strauss-large.jpg (63 KB, 554x380) Image search: [Google]
strauss-large.jpg
63 KB, 554x380
>>7742783
I don't think it's all about that, but I think it helps.

I'll share the three stories of Sarah, Thomas, and myself (all graduated now) so you can get a general idea of how our Poli Sci/Phil track has gone.

All three of us are bright students, let me say that first.

Sarah had an unfortunate event happen to her around the midpoint of her undergrad career. She received great amounts of sympathy and money from this event. Soon, Sarah was editing our professor's upcoming books, receiving personal attention from the pre-eminent Straussian, and having academic awards and honors thrust upon her. Sarah did multiple internships and I think she's going to pursue her Ph.D starting in the Fall.

Thomas cozied up very close to the Straussian, and they became good friends. Through his connections, he was able to receive a prestigious internship, and the ability to sit in on lectures given by an eminent professor on the East coast. He is enrolled in grad school currently.

And then there's me. I didn't take my studies seriously until the end of my sophomore year. I'd taken classes with the Straussian but he never saw anything in me because I was kinda dicking around and I wasn't serious. By the time I was, I had to take other courses in order to graduate on time, meaning he never got to see me when I was trying. I've never had an internship, my GPA was not great because of my first two years. The professors that I did get close to seem hesitant to recommend me based on my academic history.

I would advise anyone doing the Political Science/Philosophy double major to network like crazy with your professors, especially the most prestigious, and ESPECIALLY any Straussians, as they are very well-connected. Make sure you get internships before you graduate, and that your GPA is good. And professors will start putting your name out there for you.

And a tragic life event may also give you a boost, but don't count on it.
>>
>>7742925
>All three of us are bright students

Given your field of study I highly doubt that :^)
>>
>>7742937
Yes, yes little one.
>>
>>7742947
No offence, but what exactly makes you think you are "bright student"?

Nothing in your post really reflects that, you just seem to showcase the usual "I'm a genius, but lazy haha I'm such an underachiever" attitude that's so terribly common
>>
>>7742228
Diplomat
>>
>>7742967
good luck, takes about 15 years experience in a prestigious position before even being considered
>>
>>7742953
I'm no genius, and I wouldn't say that Sarah or Thomas are either.

But we're bright students. We ask good questions in class. We're good at reading philosophical texts and tracing the arguments. Our thesis papers were great, and our professors told us so. Would it be better if I called myself a good student instead of a bright student? I didn't want it to seem that my classmate's intelligence had no factor in how well they've done, because I think their intelligence is an essential part of it.

Either way, that's far from the most important thing you should focus on in my post.
>>
>>7742974
Not in my country.

Ha
>>
>>7742974
I know of no country with such a system
>>
>>7742925
>I was too stupid to get ahead and now I'm stuck in a dead end job

Jesus Christ, could you be more a bitter pill? Did life end for you after you graduated? Lol, what a fucking loser. Do us all a favour and NEVER procreate.

Could you imagine this guys kids. Holy shit.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.