[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Light Novels so popular when they are so incredibly poorly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: lightnovels.jpg (67 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
lightnovels.jpg
67 KB, 500x284
Why are Light Novels so popular when they are so incredibly poorly written?

What I've noticed through basically every LN i've ever read from Spice and Wolf too Haruhi is how much fucking narration is on literally every single action or event, instead of writing a scene and letting it play out naturally letting the reader interpret it in whatever way they wish, LN's handhold the reader too an overbearing extent with narration on what is constantly going down. You will never learn what a character is like from their actions, the novel will always tell you how the character is and why they do what they do.

Which leads onto the biggest point, the Protags just won't shut the fuck up because basically 80% of the book will be just their own monologues on what is happening. This often means the protaganist basically has no real character, if you cut the monologues, there is nothing actually in the book showing you what the protagonist is like beyond their blank slate, they just stare at things, monologue about it internally then just do basic interactions.

What I've sort of realized about LN's is that they are mostly on the level of poorly written fanfiction. You will find most of these issues in bad fanfiction as well and it seems to stem from authors who are not confident in their own writing ability. Instead of allowing the reader to read and interpret scenes, dialogue and characters, everything is described to you in detail and from the perspective of the Protag (and author) because they don't trust their writing enough to carry itself.

This also sadly seems to carry heavily through into anime a lot, notice in western shows how they generally have the confidence to let you interpret scenes, while in anime often at least half the dialogue is internal monologues?

So it comes back too, why are these things so popular when they are not even good by western YA level genre fiction?
>>
>>7740586
Can you read Japanese?

If not, what are you yapping about? You read two translated light novels and act like you know everything?
>>
>>7740586
Because they are easy to read, and have anime girls in the cover.
Why else?
>>
Kino's Travels is up there with the best of Borges.
>>
File: 1444097996961.png (213 KB, 343x432) Image search: [Google]
1444097996961.png
213 KB, 343x432
>>7740586
>Why are Light Novels so popular when they are so incredibly poorly written?

Have you seen the bestseller lists anytime in the past few years? YA, Dan Brown, Thrillers With "Girl" In The Title, and books that were originally published as fanfic. Those would suggest that if writing quality has any influence on popularity, it may actually help a book to be badly written.
>>
>>7740635
Light Novels had been a thing before YA trend in the west.
>>
>novels
>good
Nothing written after publishing is even redeemable
>>
>>7740590
I've read multiple light novels, I don't need to read Japanese to understand the writing style, it's not like the translator turned LN's into hand holding monologues from blank slate characters.
>>
>>7740717
That doesn't mean anything when the good stuff gets overlooked and isn't getting any translations.
>>
>>7740586
That depends on the author, some LNs have a narrator for example, still, using the prespective of the protagonist helps the reader immerse better in the story, the author probably projected himself in the role of the protagonist, can't do much about it. You don't always need to understand everything about the protagonist to enjoy a LN and personally I enjoy detailed narrations, at least I won't feel disappointed later when some details that I had taken for granted were actually the total opposite of what I had imagined.
>>
This is not /lit/.
>>
File: LN.png (10 KB, 1172x190) Image search: [Google]
LN.png
10 KB, 1172x190
>>7742025
>I don't like it so it doesn't count
>>
>>7742025
fuck off
>>
>>7742073
It's not /lit/.
>>
>>7742250
>i dont like so is not lit !
>>
>>7740586
Just read NHK and ignore the rest.
>>
>>7740586
because they are easy to to read(don't forget japan has 3 writing systems)there is cute girls,usually a lot of comedy.you shouldn't take LN seriously they are just cheap entertainment for the otaku culture
>>
>>7742300
It is not and has never been /lit/.
>>
File: 1456403471065.png (599 KB, 473x704) Image search: [Google]
1456403471065.png
599 KB, 473x704
>>7742331
trying too hard anon, could you be mad that a bunch of literal kids write better novels than yours?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.