[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else almost always skip the introduction of books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1368224029756.png (338 KB, 778x658) Image search: [Google]
1368224029756.png
338 KB, 778x658
Does anyone else almost always skip the introduction of books when they are written by a different person? I just don't care, I want to get to what I actually bought, not some 30 page rambling by someone I don't know that only vaguely relates to what I'm about to read.
>>
I go on /lit/ and do that all the time though.
>>
I was close to skipping the foreword in steppenwolf
>>
Invariably depends on who's writing it.
>>
File: 1446077926482.jpg (18 KB, 471x354) Image search: [Google]
1446077926482.jpg
18 KB, 471x354
>>7740174

son!
>>
>>7740169
it depends. if it's something i want to dive into with a clear mind, i skip it. if i'm reading the critique of pure reason or being and time, i would put time into reading the introduction.
>>
back in my young'n days i read the intro to b&n edition of war and peace then basically parroted it for my essay portion of the ap lit test and got a 5
>>
sometimes I read it after, if I really liked the book. they're like special features on a D V D
>>
>>7740169
Read the intros only for non-fiction. Avoid them for fiction. It is that simple, at least for me.
>>
File: 1454954841711.jpg (190 KB, 1268x1695) Image search: [Google]
1454954841711.jpg
190 KB, 1268x1695
>>7740174
My man
>>
>read intro to brothers k
>whole thing spoiled
>>
>>7740498
Fucking this, so many intros have straight up spoilers to the whole book. Sometimes I look at them after I finish

And on that note, why in the name of fuck would the paragraph on the back of the book ever contain major spoilers

I read invitation to a beheading recently, and the back of the book l i t e r a l l y spoils the whole ending quite explicitly. Why would that ever be okay,?
>>
>>7740169
I tried to do this for The Republic by Plato a few years ago wherein the author had a 500 page introduction, and boy do I fucking regret it. I later read the 'introduction' which was a contextual analysis, and had I read that before reading Plato's subject matter, I would have done everything more efficiently. The same applies to all philosophy books and most books
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.