[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Petersburg really that good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 184913[1].jpg (34 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
184913[1].jpg
34 KB, 316x475
Nabokov was crazy about it and I've heard it's quite unique and insane. What do you say /lit/, should I read it?
>>
>>7738101
yes. read the elsworth translation. (unless you're patrish enough to speak russian)

easily the Joyce of russian literature. the man was an absolute genius. you will not be disappointed.
>is reminded of the Myriapod
>>
>>7738118

>The Joyce of russian lit

That's why I'm afraid to read a translation. I'm learning Russian now, might as well just wait and read the original at this point...
>>
>There are many similarities with Joyce'sUlysses: the linguistic rhythms and wordplay, the Symbolist and subtle political concerns which structure the themes of the novel, the setting of the action in a capital city that is itself a character, the use of humor. The differences are also notable: the English translation of Bely remains more accessible, his work is based on complex rhythm of patterns, and, according to scholarly opinion, does not use such a wide variety of innovations. But these innovations, which subvert commonplace literary rhetoric, are necessary to conveying Petersburg at such a tumultuous time.

Holy shit some people take themselves so fucking seriously
>>
>>7738118
I got the Maguire translation. Read the first 10 ish pages and I liked it but is it that inferior to the Elsworth?
>>
Phenomenal. However, other anons are right in that a lot of his genius comes from playing with the Russian language
>>
>>7738150
?
>>
>>7738125
пoчeмy бы нe пpoчитaть oбa?
>>
>>7738183
He's saying academics have a funny way of saying absolutely nothing at all.

I haven't read Petersburg but I can also tell say that "Its a complex book about some complex shit, nigga."

Give me my phd.
>>
>>7738193
because it'll still take some years until he's ready to read the original.
>>
>>7738101
it is
>>
>>7738203
but there is something in it

that the presentation of the language are necessary to mirror the politics of that place at that time

and that the exposition of the place is just like a character of a novel

i don't think this is nothing
>>
File: 6vScT.jpg (137 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
6vScT.jpg
137 KB, 717x880
>>7738150
>>7738203
>>
>>7738177
from what i've seen, elsworth is the best. i know it's probably a mere phantom compared to the russian, but what can we do besides learn russian and become raging homosexuals for putin?
>>
>>7738101
Yes.
>>
>>7738217
Literally "form mirrors content."

Now give me my tenure.
>>
>>7738261
then infinite jest is utter shit
>>
>>7738101
Where can I find an english translation online? (preferably free?)
>>
>>7738482
https://u.pomf.is/hjtsbj.mobi

right here, my man
>>
>>7738101
I'd start with Petersburg, it's a crazy synesthesia infused ride, but another great Silver Age author is Fyodor Sologub. His most famous work, The Petty Demon is pretty much the most funny book since Dead Souls. I think there is only one translation out, but it's not bad. Also if you start to learn Russian try some Silver Age poets. When I learned some Russian, we practiced short Mandelstam poems for improving interpretation and pronunciation, so it's pretty easy comparatively.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.