[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best english novels of the 19th century?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: MTI2NzE5OTAwMjQzNzMzMTIz[1].jpg (70 KB, 619x503) Image search: [Google]
MTI2NzE5OTAwMjQzNzMzMTIz[1].jpg
70 KB, 619x503
English is not my mother tongue, but I want to improve it by reading some novels. I have Nicholas Nickleby, but that doesn't seem like the best thing to start with (although, I really want to read Dickens). Do you have any recommendations?
>>
improve your english by reading the sticky
>>
>>7738047
read walt whitman yah fucking cunt
>>
>>7738063
the sticky doesn't have valid links anymore.
>>
>>7738047
>Dickens

Probably Middlemarch, Jude the Obscure and Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, Austen, Melville. Maybe Atonement, or Hemingway as a writer of very plain American prose.

I think Remains of the Day by Ishiguro is a masterpiece of written English.
>>
>>7738047

Dickens is difficult for someone new to the English language because his writing was sometimes flowery and wordy. For easier 19th century English (i.e., from England) novels, try Jane Austen, George Eliot, or Thomas Hardy.
>>
Tale of Two Cities
>>
Why 19th century? Most good choices for someone learning English are 20th century.

Ignoring the chronological limit, I'd recommend

Cather
Rand
Hemingway
DeLillo
Fitzgerald
Jackson
Twain

If you become comfortable with English and feel you can handle slightly antiquated usage, graduate to Dickens, then George Eliot.
>>
>>7738124
>Dickens
Implying Dickens isn't great. The first volume of Great Expectations is incredible
>>
>>7738485
>implying Dickens is good for ESL students.
>>
>>7738107
valid links to download? there are sites listed. bookz, libgen, etc
>>
>>7738047
Victorian prose is tricky-ish even for native speakers. I'd avoid and read 20th century bollocks
>>
>>7738521
On the other hand, if anon wants to learn, anon wants to learn. In rough diminishing order of difficulty:

Bleak House
Vanity Fair (actual best Victorian novel)
Woman in White
Jane Eyre
Picture of Dorian Grey
Persuasion

Or some motherfucking poetry.
>>
>>7738124
Uhh, Middlemarch is by George Eliot. And three of those aren't from the 19th century.
>>
>>7738745
Hes trying to learn English, who cares about limiting himself to 19th century. And yes I know Thomas Hardy didnt write Middlemarch

>Probably Middlemarch; Jude the Obscure and Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

fixed?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.