[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ read for, if not >the plot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1419172463047.jpg (200 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1419172463047.jpg
200 KB, 768x1024
What does /lit/ read for, if not >the plot?
>>
The style, the meaning, and the characters
>>
>>7735054
the plot, desu
>>
and the prose
>>
We do read for the plot. We also read for characters, themes, and prose.
>>
P R O S E
R
O
S
E
>>
I read for the imagery
>>
File: birdman.jpg (482 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
birdman.jpg
482 KB, 1000x667
>>7735054
i recognize this man

there's a picture of him on my computer
>>
>>7735065
This. If you can't appreciate all of these things, you aren't reading right
>>
prose plebs are retards who can't into poetry
>>
>>7735099
>that fathomless gaze
>that assimilatory grip
>those shrouded hilltops wrapped by the cumulonimbus

I'm going to print this and hang it up
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 300x300
>>7735104
>can't into poetry
>>
The whole experience, I don't make any real separation between plot, prose and character, since on the highest level they all interact to help one another. Only idiots make big separations between them.

>>7735104
This is only true insofar that you cant really write good prose without knowledge of poetic technique
>>
>>7735110
you might be able to find it in higher resolution, it's probably from some nature magazine

personally i like the op one more, he seems more natural, has a wacky facial expression, you can see more of the landscape and there's no filter, the lantern is nice too
it's probably less fit for printing though
>>
I can't really "see" prose.

Somebody give an example.
>>
>>7735181
Its all about sound and how the words are used, how effective the description is, etc
>>
>>7735181
Think of it as watching a movie for the cinematography or animation.
>>
For aesthetic bliss.
>>
>>7735054
fills my days and kept busy the brain, i'm too autistic for be entertained by tv or games, I need books that point to other books and maps and historical dictionaries, ecc...
>>
>>7735054
for bragging, for the rich and bountiful dank memes.

for the plot.
>>
>>7735054
I definitely enjoy character-driven stories.
>>
File: 1449358092815.jpg (151 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1449358092815.jpg
151 KB, 1024x768
>>7735222
This
>>
I primarily read for ideas, but a e s t h e t h i c s are a nice bonus.
>>
>>7735054
If you knew that feel when the prose dank af, you'd understand.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.