[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arabian Nights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 78x120) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 78x120
Is it worth it? If so what translation?
>>
nah
>>
>>7730720
Burton translation, totally fappable
>>
>>7730720
I've always liked it, but that's mostly because of nostalgia. It's up to you, really, but I'd say yes.

Don't know crap about translations, though.
>>
File: dcfrgty-544x360.png (142 KB, 544x360) Image search: [Google]
dcfrgty-544x360.png
142 KB, 544x360
>mfw the most famous work of arabic literature is about cucks
>>
Having read all of it, I think that the tales vary from kind of bad to masterpieces. I would suggest reading a selection (if only the very famous ones such as Sinbad, Ali Baba, Aladdin).

Regarding translation, I cannot help you since I pour picked a French one.
>>
It's only good in Arabic
>>
>>7730720
Yes, it's worth it. It's a classic for a reason. I do agree with a previous poster here that there are quality differences between the stories.
Even so, most old stories are still worth it because you get a look into how they thought back then, which again enables you to see this age clearer.
>>
>>7733201
Well gosh, everyone knows those three, what about 5-10 we don't know?
>>
>>7733270
Just read the whole thing. There's only about 1 of the stories i /might/ skip because it's "bad". And do you honestly believe because you've seen the Disney adaption, you "know" the story? Again i emphasize, these stories are not just to get entertained. They are also for gaining a deeper insight into contemporary culture/life/whathaveyou.
>>
>>7733074
Well, not conscious cucks atleast. And the retribution is very sweet.
>>
>>7733270
I've already read 1001 Nights, dipshit. My question is--since you sound like you haven't read it and are bsing--what additional stories, that everyone doesn't already know, would you recommend to OP?
>>
>>7730720

I like the translation that's tiny and impossible to read OP
>>
>>7733383
Meant to quote >>7733355
>>
>>7733383
Iv'e already answered that question. It's not a very long book, i'm not sure why we have to cherrypick; they are all quite good.
>>
>>7733427
Some are assuredly more boring than others, in regards to a picky audience, and not some nerd whose life is a series of bad decisions. Your advice is leddit-tier useless.
>>
The Penguin is the best. Burton is white shit.
>>
>>7733383
Why are you so fucking mad? I actually cannot give you the titles without my edition since most titles are long-ass arabic names. Here are my three favourite tales if anyone can find the titles based on that:
1) A military epic where knights from Bagdad eventually defeat the Emperor of Constantinople.
2) A fabliau-like tale where a trickster almost ruins a city by making everyone believe he is a rich merchant and that his wares are on their way.
3) A young prince eventually seduces a girl by painting, and interpreting in a new way, a dream she has had.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.