[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there something I amn't getting about Emily Dickinson's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 10.jpg (77 KB, 398x656) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
77 KB, 398x656
Is there something I amn't getting about Emily Dickinson's poetry?
>>
Nope. She's a meme author who is propped up by feminism. Her poems are trash.
>>
>>7729145
other than it's trash? nope, you got it all, OP!
>>
even if you don't get them, they're sweet to hear and are short.
>>
Lots men don't get it just like lots of women don't get Hemingway, so you shouldn't feel bad.

>Inb4 triggered dudes with crystal egos
>>
>>7729145
>amn't

It's the first time I encounter this contraction in the wild. Is it a Scots thing or an I mistaken?
>>
File: 12.jpg (40 KB, 336x350) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
40 KB, 336x350
>>7729701
Irish.
>>
She had a vagina,
ergo she is better than you.
>>
it's all about negative space. Think about all the different kinds of pauses in one of her poems. There's periods, commas, dashes, line breaks, and various combinations of the aforementioned. Think about the different silences and how they interact with the words, the sounds.

Nice Lain pic, by the way.
>>
>>7729791
Ive been intrigued by Dickinson for 2 years now but haven't got to reading her yet. Can you provide an example of that with situations? It would help.
>>
>>7729145
Boring.

Read Whitman instead.
>>
File: 14.jpg (106 KB, 545x420) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
106 KB, 545x420
>>7729949
I have read LoG 3 times.
>>
>>7729946
They're pretty short poems. Just read one.
Take, for example, her famous poem "There's been a Death, in the Opposite House."
There are loads of dashes in this poem, some mid-line, and some at the ends of lines. Try sounding out the poem in your head (or out loud if you want) and don't rush over the dashes. Why do some lines end with dashes? What about the line breaks between stanzas? And what of the commas? There are three commas in the poem: two in the first line and one in the third. Think about how this contributes to the pacing of the poem as a whole.

Personally, I don't think Dickinson is much of one for "messages." Her poetry has a soft, musical quality which speaks on a fundamental level that is very difficult to explain. If you are familiar with Wittgenstein, it deals with what can be shown, but not said.
>>
good thread
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.