[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hi /lit/ i am writing an ebook but i am worried about copyright
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: 1447117387380.jpg (750 KB, 2048x1213) Image search: [Google]
1447117387380.jpg
750 KB, 2048x1213
hi /lit/

i am writing an ebook but i am worried about copyright issues.. in this book i have included images of clothing items that i have found on google, but none of them are personalized in any aspect, they just show the product.. now i am wondering if this violates the copyright law as I made some research and I can get into trouble if i violate any laws, please elaborate

wallpapers in return
>>
File: 1447357133356.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447357133356.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: 1447365273485.jpg (1 MB, 1929x1286) Image search: [Google]
1447365273485.jpg
1 MB, 1929x1286
>>
File: 1447365480998.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1447365480998.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1365
>>
Bump.

Can't you try and describe these clothing objects yourself? They are probably just stock image someone photographed and forgot it in the web. Unless, of course, we are talking about artistic creation such as "cool swords", wizard robes and other iconic creations made by people on the internet. In that case you should credit them.

(Opinion from a Not-Attorney)

While it is a copyright infringement by definition, it is unlikely someone will notice AND spend the resources pressing charges against you. The chances of pressing charges because of stock pictures of pants are just slim.

But as an author, who delights in language, I'd rather see my authors attempting to describe the clothing. They can tell a lot about the characters. You can include, per example, badges that they wear or mention that they are old and the colours are fading (hinting the character is either cheap or poor).

I think a cool description will do you far better than any image halting your writing and creating insecurity like the ones you have right now.
>>
File: 1450201242211.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1450201242211.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1067
>>7729141
Thank you, actually your text inspired me to remove the images altogether. I am writing a kind of fashion guideline so it's going to be a bit hard but the readers can always Google the names of the items and they will come up with them. Thank you so much, here's a wallpaper in return good anon
>>
>>7729141
also they are just images to represent the style of a shoe, for example I have a picture of an oxford shoe along the explanation for what oxfords are
>>
>>7729025
once got sued for uploading an image of a jacket to ebay (It was a photo taken from the brands website that showed the jacket).

I would recommend using pictures taken by someone else than the brand.
>>
>>7729226
i don't want to risk anything right now, I really can't afford it. I will stick to pure text writing for now
>>
>>7729208
Fashion guideline?

How does that work?

Is it not a novel? Is it a book about how to pick clothes or something? In that case the images are important.

But in general we use clothes as a way to storytelling. If the images can't be made by the author himself to help telling his story...
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.