[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
liberal arts jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: 1447463266908.jpg (463 KB, 2988x2538) Image search: [Google]
1447463266908.jpg
463 KB, 2988x2538
What are the job prospects for a major in liberal arts?
Any of you have experience?
I'd love to be an arts major, but will I be starving on the streets?
>>
This should be on /adv/

>What are the job prospects for a major in liberal arts?
There's a pretty broad field to choose from tbqh
Starbucks, McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, the list goes on
If that's not your thing then you could always work for Wallmart, Target or many other big companies.

Go for it!
>>
Jobs are looking bad whatever the major atm.
You can get a job doing many general things with any degree but it's mostly about presentation if you go the lib route. The degree is just a technical need for many jobs. If you are autistic with a lib degree rip y will die in streets
>>
>>7728837
Not true. I am autistic and I have a degree in humanities and I am fully-employed in a non-fast food establishment.
>>
It turns out you dont even need a liberal arts degree to work in Mcdonalds!

I dropped out and went straight in, now I make over $16,000 per year!
>>
>>7728911
>fully-employed in a non-fast food establishment.
Coffee isn't fast food, right? :^D
>>
>>7728837
What is so bad about dying on streets with a copy of Plato and other good books to accompany you for a while? I would just Diogenes it, probably wouldnt live long but at least I wouldnt be drunk homeless but instead would have the whole day for philosophizing.

Not great but thinking about the average individual I would probably think more than he living 30 years longer because of no time and family obligations and shit like that.
>>
>>7728923
You should probably stop romantizing poverty tbqh
Being poor sucks balls
>>
>>7728926
It really doesn't. Poverty is the ultimate patrician lifestyle. George Orwell argued this point quite nicely in his works, saying that a man with 80 pesos left will panic and feel depressed while a man with only 3 will feel calm and optimistic, knowing that he has hit rock bottom but at least he can buy a burrito or whatever. As a NEET I relate to this sentiment completely, and I can only hope that my future success will compensate for the hardship I presently endure for the sake of my noble principles.
>>
>>7728926
I know it sucks. I am from eastern europe and people are living paycheck by paycheck with no possibility of owning a home if you dont have a partner or connections with average payment of 350-600 euros.

I have many medical problems so I am used to feeling like shit all the time and I would survive with just food, drink and books. Its all I need. Life is shit so why care about pointless stuff?

I may end up homeless in the future or having very bad health. There is nothing I can lose really except shitty life. No romantizing required to understand it.
>>
>>7728942
Where specifically in Eastern Europe?

Post the link to your street on google maps please.
>>
>>7728943
Slovakia in poor region with no connections. There is no welfare (NEETs exist only if parents pay for you).
>>
>>7728943
Oh and I forgot we have 14% unemployment rate. Most young people who go to uni just leave this country and never return. But its at least not poluted and comfy most of the time.
>>
>>7728940
>George Orwell
>>
>majored in philosophy
>worked at a call center for most my college years
>graduated and got a job as a paralegal administrative assistant

literally living the life.
>>
PR firms
marketing firms
technical writing

no exists no valuable degree at this point. except of course the obvious minority of elites, and those with nepotism.
the middleclass is over. we are going back to feudalism boyos
>>
File: 1434481927026.jpg (47 KB, 460x359) Image search: [Google]
1434481927026.jpg
47 KB, 460x359
>>7728957
Will you grow fuck fields with me farm boyo?
>>
Should I even bother going to uni?
Or can I reach a similar level of skill/education by reading books on my own?
Not talking about employment btw
>>
I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house and, honestly, I could not have imagined a few years ago how great life could be. I come on /lit/ and see how pathetic you all are and just shake my head and chuckle. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier. People are awed by power and prestige. All I need to do is mention the university I attended (if only for a year) and they immediately begin to hunch and look at their feet because they know they are in the presence of greatness.
>>
>>7728972
Going to uni would give you better insight most of the time. There are things that you probably wont get by just reading with no interaction with those who are skilled in it and live by it. It all depends on what you want to study really.
>>
>>7728980
I was going to go for a Philosophy (& Economics) major with a Musicology minor
>>
>>7728972
Going to a university is mostly for networking now. It's an easy place to find internships and other possibilities.
>>
>graduate with a humanities degree
>get a job with a non-profit doing PR and marketing
>30k starting

Living the dream bros. At least girls think I'm a good guy because I work for a charity, they seem to smile at me before they go out with Chad because he works in banking and will be able to support her on his salary.
>>
>>7729020
Girls who date guys in finance are shit-tier to be quite honest family.

Would Nora Barnacle date a guy like that?
>>
>>7729020
>not using your knowledge in the humanities to woo dumb girls with poetry and trivial knowledge of history
>>
>>7728799
I make $40k/yr grading tests from home. Might be too monotonous for some people, but it's perfect for me. The goal is to pair it with teaching online community college courses soon.
>>
>>7729061
How do you even get into that line of work?

Sounds comfy as shit.

>tfw no stay-at-home paper-grading waifu who fears the outside world
>>
>thinking your degree is what determines your job prospects instead of your school's ranking

top pleb

you can be a gender studies major at harvard and goldman sachs and google would still be begging you to interview there
>>
>>7729067
Pearson and ETS are the companies who do most of the big tests. All the tests themselves have different requirements, but English degrees are great for most of them. Usually they want teaching experience too, or at least some graduate work.

Definitely super comfy, the only interaction I have to have with people is ~3-5 short emails during the day to check in.
>>
>>7729087
Do you have a girlfriend?

Can you live anywhere while working in this job?
>>
>>7729097
I'm married. Just have to have a pretty good internet connection that's reliable and also be in the USA. I luckily live in the south, so it's actually pretty decent wages; some of the supervisors live in places like SF and NYC, where I imagine it's a poor choice.
>>
>>7728799
None. That's why you get a good degree and do lit on the side.
>>
>>7729115
>>7729115
Literally bro-tier advice. You're an idiot. Most accomplished writers studied literature in some form.

I bet you're the type of person who encourages people to work 60 hours a week and write their novel in their "spare time". Literally retarded mentality.
>>
>>7729175
This tbqh
This kind of advice is given way to often on 4chan. Of course you'll never create anything of value if you spend 60 hours a week working some fucking job you hate
>>
>getting a lib art degree for the job prospects

Doing it wrong already
>>
>>7729245
James Cameron drove a lorry full time while he studies film making in his spare time.
>>
>>7729326
Yeah and his films are fucking terrible. Your point?
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 500x378
One of you /lit/ fuck boi's (1v1 me bitch "heem sleepy" day be sayin after I beat yo ass lol) please answer this for me.

What in the hell is the point of spending $50,000+ on a degree to learn and analyze books? Honestly, this fucking degree doesn't teach or equip you with anything that you can't get from going to a library and talking with other like minded people.
>>
>>7729346
>Amerikeks have to spend money on degrees
Kek
I'll just go and enjoy my free (as in, tax-funded) education over here.
>>
>>7729346

Literature major, forgot to include that piece. (Fight me bro, seriously, 1v1, so sleepy BET)
>>
>eurocucks have to spend tax money on some shit heads pointless "pleasure degree"
>>
File: 1456074052743.png (93 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1456074052743.png
93 KB, 630x630
>>7729369
>Americucks don't even know how to reply
>>
>>7729369
americans have to pay taxes to subsidize peoples' useless degrees as well. its just a more inefficient system that doesn't cover all the costs
>>
>>7729376

>Europoors are being raped by Muslim hordes

I'll trade not replying correctly for the later, cuck ;)
>>
File: CBWycSRUYAAY19x.jpg (28 KB, 600x333) Image search: [Google]
CBWycSRUYAAY19x.jpg
28 KB, 600x333
>>7729383
>;)
>>>/Reddit/
>>
>>7729397

>mudslime hordes

;)
>>
>>7729401
>Paying for education
;)))
>>
>>7729405

>1,000,000 muslim invaders

Honestly, it's like fighting a cripple this is so easy
>>
>>7729410
>thousands of $$$ in debt because of student loans
Then why are you losing? :DD
>>
>>7729346
you dont even know what a literature major entails

that's the issue with popular perception of english/humanities - they just assume it's people sitting around reading books, without realizing that the critical conversation and cross-referencing, depth of insight, etc. goes far beyond anything you can get just reading a book on your own. you don't even know enough to realize what you don't know.
>>
>>7729420

Still, how does a student seriously justify wasting so much money on such a useless major.

>>7729414
>debt vs Muslims pillaging my country and culture

If I'm losing then I don't want to win
>>
>>7729456

well, people derive enjoyment/utility from different things. also some people are simply wealthy enough that money is not a consideration. "useless" is a pretty nebulous term
>>
This thread looked so promising.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.