[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essentials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: -.jpg (10 KB, 271x161) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
10 KB, 271x161
ITT: We compile a list of books one pretty much should have read before posting on /lit/, one at a time.

I'll start with War and Peace.
>>
the complete works of william shakespeare
>>
>>7727780
lost already. peace out /lit/
>>
The Bible

just the OT or the NT is fine
>>
>>7727780
Honestly, only Julius Caesar, Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth, King Lear and Henry V should be essential. You should read all of them eventually, but we're talking about entry level.
>>
Lolita.
>>
>>7729088
>this meme again
>>
>>7727810
>No Much Ado About Nothing
>No Midsummer Night's Dream
>No Tempest
>No Richard II
Shit list
>>
>>7727810
>plebs actually believe this

It's pathetic that <10 people on this degenerate board has read all of shakeapeare desu
>>
>>7727810
>>7729108
no antony and cleopatra???
>>
Infinite Jest
>>
Lets just propagate the American high school required reading list so more talent-less hacks can become billionaires through quarterly reprints.
And while where at it lets entirely forgo the concept that different people have different lessons to learn. Keep it in the Rye; so to speak.

But who am I kidding. The fastest threads on /lit/ is where we're going to draw this list from. So I suggest Abhorsen by Garth Nix. I also suggest you ignore non-fiction suggestions and anything that isn't science fiction or fantasy. There are trolls around.
>>
Just stop
>>
File: lit starter kit.png (2 MB, 1396x1852) Image search: [Google]
lit starter kit.png
2 MB, 1396x1852
>>7727778
>>
>>7729241
Good list, maybe not pleb enough for entry.
>>
>>7729250
that's entriest of entry levels tho
>>
>>7729241
great list, entry level enough, pretty diverse, all great books
>>
You should have read at least 2% of the western canon for every year you have been a live.
>>
>>7729241
Kokoro seems out of place though?
>>
>>7729337
Why do you think so?
>>
>>7727790
you can skip 90% of the OT and NT and be fine.
>>
Hegel's Logic
>>
>>7729351
Well I'm not saying Sōsekiis obscure but compared to the other titles(that are often found in bookstores and generally often mentioned) he seems out of place.
>>
obv JVD tbqh family
>>
>>7727778
heh. why make all of these people comform? if we had read all the same shit, there would be nothing to brag about. we all know this is a braggart board and the real readers are doing just that. reading.
>>
>>7729379
I don't think it's supposed to be a popularity chart, rather just a diverse set of subjects to get one interested. Kokoro is a great entry into Japanese literature and quite unique.
>>
>>7729408
>>7729379
kokoro is the japanese equivalent of a great gatsby or like a to kill a mockingbird.

i mean it's much better than those two in quality, but in terms of perception/reputation among the japanese populace it's roughly equivalent
>>
>>7729426
True enough it just seems out of place in the context of this list.. Because 99% of /lit/ probably havent read it
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.