[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw set out to make a great work of art but only edgy "poetry"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1427351854400.jpg (6 KB, 208x250) Image search: [Google]
1427351854400.jpg
6 KB, 208x250
>tfw set out to make a great work of art but only edgy "poetry" comes out
>tfw throw away everything you ever wrote because its too embarassing

how do i write good?
>>
Dont throw anything away, save and salvage once you get gud.

Just keep practicing, study technique and refine.
>>
>>7726163

Write a book on how to write a book.
>>
>>7726163
quit memes
>>
Keep it, never delete/throw away things you've written. I've kept all the silly pirate and adventure stories I wrote when I was 16
>>
What nobody tells you is it that it takes an embarrassing amount of work to produce something worthwhile. Keep writing even though it's shit, then persistently revise it until the shit smell starts to fade a bit. it will feel like work. then ignore it for a while. come back in a few weeks when the shit is completely dried out. then you can handle it less reluctantly, inspect the texture and shape of the shit nodules. next, grind it into a fine powder, and run it through a sieve to separate out the pure shit from the particles you are after, a few grains of the sublime. do this repeatedly until you've collected a good handful of sublime shit powder. add water and being molding into a phallic shape. once hardened, forcefuck yourself with it. once you start bleeding, make sure someone is with you to transcribe your squeals, the voice of our generation.
>>
>>7726163

When you're just starting to write, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot by trying to make a great work of art because of course you're not going to succeed. Work on making a good story/poem of course, but try to avoid pretention at this time.
>>
>>7726163
People never set out to make a great work of art you arogant twat, you write something and how people judge it determines if its great
jackass
>>
>>7726287
“I set out deliberately to write a tour-de-force. Before I ever put pen to paper and set down the first word I knew what the last word would be and almost where the last period would fall.” —William Faulkner on As I Lay Dying
>>
>>7726287
>People never set out to make a great work of art you arogant twat

Of course they do. Do you think the great writers just shit out whatever stories that comes to their head without seriously thinking about it?

It's just that, as I said before, it's a bad attitude for beginners to have, trying to make "le great epic of literature" when you can't even finish a single story.
>>
>>7726308
do you suppose thats why a lot of writers start out with poetry?
>>
>>7726313

Do they? I've never heard of that being the case.

I'm resenting your implication that poetry is only just a minor form of literature that beginners write.
>>
>>7726313

They write short stories, to learn how to write stories.
>>
>>7726317
didn't intend that implication. only that poetry, typically being much shorter, would lend itself well to a writer getting experience fully completing something. similar to how a young musician might first produce and record individual songs with no indent of making whole album, that way he gets experience with every stage of the production, from playing instruments to recording and audio mastering in a shorter time frame.
>>
>>7726270

you've actually given an entirely accurate description of the revision process
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.