[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the fucking point of telling the masses every couple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh[1].jpg (1 MB, 1408x2142) Image search: [Google]
1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh[1].jpg
1 MB, 1408x2142
What was the fucking point of telling the masses every couple of years that the enemy was a different one? If they had full control of the information why they just didn't invent a permanent one?

Is orwell such a hack that he portrayed the party as retards just for the sake or proving the point that people were totally alienated by them?
>>
To keep the masses afraid and dependent on the establishment. To prevent the stagnation of fear of the enemy
>>
>>7725267
Having the same enemy for years on end would increase the chances of war weariness, as well as making the government seem incompetent.
"Oh, we've been fighting the African Negro Freedom Coalition for 40 years now? Why does it seem we're never good enough to beat them?"
>>
>>7725267
it is well explained when Winston reads Goldstein's book.
>>
>>7725297
>>7725284

But the party didn't tell the people that the enemy changed, they just acted like the new enemy was the same. They even bothered to change all the information about that war all newspapers/books.

And people acted and accepted that they were at war for a few years only... Even after all those enemy changes...
>>
>>7725314
>it is well explained when Winston reads Goldstein's book.

He explained why the party was in a constant war, not why they bothered to tell it to the people exactly who the enemy was at that moment while acting that he was the same.
>>
>>7725351

Yeah, it just felt like they were fucking with the populace for the sake of being evil.
>>
>>7725351
I see. Forgive me it's been a while since I've read the book. Perhaps they do so as a scale of measurement to see how much power they (the party) has at a given time? Orwell's intent was to really drill the point home that these people were sheep, nonetheless
>>
>>7725422
Another thought: maybe it was to "update" the enemy in a way. It was the party's way of creating the perfect enemy gradually over time, or to create an enemy that would best complement the current state of the system
>>
>>7725351
They called this doublethink. People knew that it was a lie very well yet they decided to trust it.

Also didn't Juliet question the same thing you are doing now? Maybe her conspiracy was right
>>
>>7725267
But does that no presuppose that the enemies were an invention. If there really was a 3 way eternal war then the enemy would constantly change and the government would want to redirect the hate.
>>
>>7725483
>They called this doublethink. People knew that it was a lie very well yet they decided to trust it.

Thats the point, changing the name of the enemy was useless.

>Also didn't Juliet question the same thing you are doing now? Maybe her conspiracy was right

Can't remember, what conspiracy?
>>
>>7725543
Juliet was implying that there may be no war at all going on and it was there only as an excuse for their poverty and morale boost

I bellieve that the changing of enemy so openly existed only to test people's devotion to the Big Brother
>>
>>7725267
i think a part alot of people overlook is to make the entire system as willfully horrible and contradictory as possible, as a means of breaking the human spirit.
>>
>>7725538
>But does that no presuppose that the enemies were an invention. If there really was a 3 way eternal war then the enemy would constantly change and the government would want to redirect the hate.

People didn't have information from outside the country
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 480x480
>>7725267
>>
>>7725596
Bait? wtf are you even talking about
>>
>>7725596
just cuz you see a 1984 post you assume its bait?
>>
>>7725351
>>7725267

yep this
this is exactly what kept nagging in my head when I read 1984, fuck Orwell stupid literary pithe plothole motherfucker
>>
File: dc580e90c2.gif (151 KB, 300x97) Image search: [Google]
dc580e90c2.gif
151 KB, 300x97
When will our government find a new boogy man to go to war with? And who do you think it will be?
>>
>>7725267
The book was satire and criticism on what was happening in Soviet Union back then. If you don't know your history, a lot of this shit will fly over your head.
>>
>>7725267

Because it's about England's relationships with the Soviet Union you stupid fuck
>>
>>7726187
>>7726204

Also it's always been a prevalent theme in politics, especially today with eg. Iran. That's his point. He's not trying to create immersion, he's trying to make a fucking point about how the world works.
>>
>>7726187
>>7726204

ITT: Retards missing the point
>>
They enemy in fact changes every couple of years. Reember that the world is divided between three superpowers , and they fight over some extremely densely populated plots of land, that are used to help the war effort, and when one of the powers gets too powerful the others ally and fuck them over. The point of it is that it is an endless cycle.
>>
>>7726411
i expected better reading comprension for lit
>>
>>7725562
But surely the soldiers themselves would see the enemies they are fighting and the citizens the planes that are bombing them. Enough at least potentail exposure to make it worth while to bother change the name.
>>
Its plausible that if the enemy stayed the same for too long, then people would question the government for being too weak or incompetent for not either crushing the enemy or working twoards negotiations.
>>
>>7726187
>>7726204
>>7726212
This
>>
>>7726908
It is, but that theory only works if the party were telling the people that they'd changed enemies, which they didn't. They changed everything so it looked like they'd always be fighting the same enemy.

My theory is as simple as what O'Brien states at the end though. They don't convince the people that nothing's changed for any reason apart from exerting power over them. That's the entire point of the party, having complete and absolute power over everyone, for no reason apart from having it.

So changing the enemies to have always been something else every few years not only allows them to exert this power, but it also makes it more believable that they'd believe the lesser lies that might otherwise destabilise the license.
>>
>>7725267
why is Freddie Mercury on that cover art?
>>
The enemy isn't even real.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.