[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help , I do not understand this passage on back of book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
Please help , I do not understand this passage on back of book

"I have tried to serve readers who have little or no knowledge of italian and who wish to know the matter of Dante's poem. The requirements of some to whome the whole medieval outlook is strange and many of the classical references unfamiliar may excuse the number and the simplicity of the annotations, which are intended merely to make the narrative intelligible. In these I have erred, like the warder of the gate of purgatory, 'rather in opening than in keeping locked.'

What this mean?
>>
>In putting together this edition, I was mostly looking to help people whose knowledge of Italian is bad, but who still want to read Dante in full. I made the annotations simple and numerous because the special situation of those people (that is, their unfamiliarity with Dante's medieval mindset and classical references) requires extra help to make the story understandable. When in doubt about how much help to give, I have tended to err on the side of caution and give too much, rather than risk giving too little - like the adage of the gate guard of purgatory, who preferred to give wayward souls more of a chance than they deserved rather than risk giving them too little.

Aside from the subordinate clauses, the confusing part is probably just linking up verbs with their subjects/objects properly, made more difficult by the fact that the verbs are used slightly archaically. It's slightly older and rarer English, especially for what is generally taught at a second language level (ESL) these days.

Probably the worst bit is the second sentence. "To whome the whole medieval outlook ... unfamiliar" is a relative clause, referring of the "some [people]" whose "requirements" the author is trying to "serve." So just bracket off that whole clause as a bonus adjective, and skip to the main verb that goes with the subject "the requirements of some" to get the real meaning of the sentence: "may."
>The requirements of some [people] ... may excuse the number of annotations.

Here "excuse" might be slightly weird to you, because it's being used impersonally, which is SLIGHTLY rarer and more formal these days. It's like saying
>The traffic jam on the highway may excuse my lateness today.
instead of
>My excuse for being late is that I was in a traffic jam.
>>
>>7725244
>is a relative clause, referring of the
should be
>is a relative clause, referring to the

Ironic
>>
>>7725244
ty very much sir
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.