[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who has better taste in comics, /lit/ or /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11
File: Alan-Moore-009.jpg (957 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
Alan-Moore-009.jpg
957 KB, 2060x1236
Who has better taste in comics, /lit/ or /co/?
>>
I don't read comics, so /lit/ has better taste.
>>
>>7722936
This
>>
do adults read comics?

if I saw a grown man reading a comic book I would point and laugh tbqh
>>
>>7722927
Well, /lit/ doesn't read bad comics, which means that they don't really have a taste in comics. To have a taste you should know bad and know good - taste is a scale, I guess.
>>
>>7722943

Are you not at all aware of popular culture, fucktard?
>>
>>7722927
Co reads superhero trash, lit reads all the actual good stuff that sort of filters itself through all that.
>>
>>7722936
this
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 576x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 576x323
If you mean sequential art with literary merit, then /lit/. It's a short list though and Edward Gorey is at the top.
>>
>>7723013
junji ito is at the top
>>
>>7722927
/d/
>>
>>7722927
Jerusalem is coming
>>
I like to get stoned and read R Crumb and jerk off on myself, but otherwise I don't read comics.
>>
File: Feal.png (336 KB, 534x546) Image search: [Google]
Feal.png
336 KB, 534x546
/lit/
>>
>Who has better taste in comics, pretentious normalfag club or literally tumblr?
>>
>>7722953
>>7722943
>implying anon leaves he's basement
>>
/lit/ probably has better taste because the members of /lit/ who actually have knowledge of comics are probably /co/ posters with literary tastes.
>>
File: jasonheywait-1291318168.jpg (29 KB, 370x402) Image search: [Google]
jasonheywait-1291318168.jpg
29 KB, 370x402
>>7722927
probably /lit/ lads. Anyone into jason?
>>
>>7722943
You'd see me reading comics and avert your eyes and mumble, neckbeard
>>
>>7722943
i seriously get pissed whenever i see a comment similar to yours.it just shows how ignorant you are.most western comics are shit because they are always about superheros and never have a cohesive plot.but there is few fantastic comics with great literary quality.what you probably most read was comics aimed at 13 year old boys, and as always ya is always shit;now if you delve deeper you will find works that are suited for your age and that actually have a good amount of depth comparable to even great classics.
now one thing that you must keep in mind is that comics tell a story in a different way compared to novels(i know who thought of that right?)which some people perceive as it to be easier while others might question it is the same level of hardness
>>
It's subjective
>>
>>7722943
do adult's spend all their time on Japanese anime sites meme'in DFW and Pynchon?
>>
File: 5345.jpg (96 KB, 534x546) Image search: [Google]
5345.jpg
96 KB, 534x546
>>7723423
like this
>>
File: 018.png (236 KB, 842x1200) Image search: [Google]
018.png
236 KB, 842x1200
>>
File: 021.png (291 KB, 845x1200) Image search: [Google]
021.png
291 KB, 845x1200
>>
File: 037.png (290 KB, 842x1200) Image search: [Google]
037.png
290 KB, 842x1200
>>
>>7723635
do you know how to use apostrophes
>>
Who has guts to read this, have guts to say "hey, You're interesting".
>>
File: 038.png (300 KB, 842x1200) Image search: [Google]
038.png
300 KB, 842x1200
>>
Any comics/graphic novels /lit/ would recommend?

I thought Dylan Horrock's 'Hicksville' was okay.
>>
>>7723781
Alan Moore's Promethea is a masterpiece. Grant Morrison's The Invisibles is also top tier.

Moore's From Hell also has great literary merit.

If you want something conventional DC, Morrison's Allstar Superman is unmatched.

Anyone who says Kingdom Come is not a work of art is obviously posturing out of ignorance. It's masterfully written and all the illustrations were full-size oil paintings. It took them years to put together.

The 1980's marked a shift in comics branding, where now people were putting them into books and terming them graphic novels. It was a self-conscious move to elevate the discourse of a dying industry. It worked, spurring the current hero-mania in American cinema.

I get the impression that most of the haters in this thread have never read anything beyond 70's silver age swill. Times have changed.
>>
>>7722936
Yes

Comics are pleb shit desu
>>
>>7723629
>if you delve deeper you will find works that are suited for your age and that actually have a good amount of depth comparable to even great classics.
Care to give some examples?
>>
Fuck Allan Moore and Mark Millar!
Hail Steve Ditko & the Hernández Brothers!
>>
>>7724760
i'm not the poster that you responded to but i have a few examples.

The Underwater Welder is, ultimately, a story about a man coming to terms with that flawed man that his father was and his own fears concerning becoming a father himself.

American Born Chinese weaves together a classic tale of Chinese mythology with a modern story of a young kid trying to fit in with a culture that wants to reject him (without getting preachy).

More examples abound, even if the vast majority of comics out there seem to be juvenile capeshit.

Finally, I need to point out that comics rarely have the same depth as the classic novels of literature. Due to the nature of having to create writing and artwork, comics are often short in length, compared to novels. Therefore, it might be better to compare standalone comic works or "graphic novels" to short stories, rather than novels. It's rather unfair to compare a work that can be experienced in a hour or so to a novel that would immerse you for a much longer period of time.
>>
>>7724829
Whatever you say, manchild
>>
Moore, Ellis, are the only two IMHO who transcend the whole cloak and dagger shit without ending up in "touchy feely hippie ville". I hate the whole postmodern/ ironic superhero schtick, Moore did it in watchmen, top 10, Millar topped it in kickass ( think the rest of his shit is unfunny christofacist, like miller now, why doesn't he get sjw flak?) and " super" ( a movie mentioned on lit, blasphemy!) killed it. Only new stuff I like is Saga, scalped and Madder Red ( might go down hill, idk) and of course hellboy. Lit tier? V for vendetta, Watchmen, promethea, from Hell,Transmetopolitan, a few parts of Sandman. Never really got in to Crumb and that ghostville guy. Think pretentious shit like "my friend dahmer;" is just that, pretentious crap.Manga is more diverse, too often Western comics are still Archie or superman at heart. Fucking hate the constant rehash, ret-con shit. Every marvel/DC fan is a pleb "muh comics" retard. O yeah pretty deadly looked fun, might go all gay man, keeping fingers crossed.
Oyeah, for the vore guy and other d/tards Furry trap is up your sick alley
>>
>>7722927
>having taste
>having comics
Choose one manchild
>>
Reading Watchmen made me realize that western comics are sadly irrelevant, likely because of the shitty art and presentation, it's somehow really cheap.
>skipping all that black freighter bullshit
feels good desu
>>
It is just me or does is this a pathetic way of making a story?
>V for Vendetta
>During the preparation of the story, Moore made a list of what he wanted to bring into the plot, which he reproduced in "Behind the Painted Smile":

>Orwell. Huxley. Thomas Disch. Judge Dredd. Harlan Ellison's "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman, Catman and The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World by the same author. Vincent Price's Dr. Phibes and Theatre of Blood. David Bowie. The Shadow. Night Raven. Batman. Fahrenheit 451. The writings of the New Worlds school of science fiction. Max Ernst's painting "Europe After the Rain". Thomas Pynchon. The atmosphere of British Second World War films. The Prisoner. Robin Hood. Dick Turpin...
>>
>>7723000
Name one "good" comic that isn't Watchmen, Maus, or Persepolis
>>
>>7724753
They said the same thing about rock and cinema.
>>
>comics
Just get the fuck out of here.

The only comic i've ever read was Logicomix.
>>
>>7723645
Kek'd.
>>
>>7726430

That's only part of what he did though. I've got a biography of him where it shows how V had been culminating in his work for years and it was inevitable that the comic would develop.
>>
>>7726436

Promethea and From Hell. The latter, especially.

From Hell blows Watchmen out of the fucking water.
>>
>>7722927
Comics are to literature what cartoons are to movies.
>>
>>7726436
>Name one "good" novel that isn't 1984, Brave New World, or The Kite Runner
>>
>>7726505
The Kite Runner was garbage.
>>
>>7726471
This is probably the stupidest post in this thread. Amidst the critics who know nothing about comics and can't muster more than ad hominem invective and memes, this post stands alone.

We now stand at the apex of cinematic bankruptcy. To liken "movies" as they stand to literature...I shudder to imagine what your conception of literature even is.
>>
>>7726530
>Amidst the critics who know nothing about comics and can't muster more than ad hominem invective and memes
>who know nothing about comics
>and can't muster more than ad hominem invective and memes
>...
>I shudder
You could have just said you enjoy reading comic books and posted your favorite graphic tee, my bazinga friend.
>>
>>7726550
I did. See >>7724751

No one cares about my post :(
>>
>>7726556
There are no user names here, friend, how could I know?
Also I really meant >>7726471, it wasn't a joke
>>
>i seriously get pissed whenever i see a comment similar to yours.it just shows how ignorant you are.most

Didn't read the rest of your comment, but I am sure that it was filled with similar drivel from an absolute ignoramus. Read a book. Perhaps Strunk & White's The Elements of Style.
>>
>>7724751
>The 1980's marked a shift in comics branding, where now people were putting them into books and terming them graphic novels. It was a self-conscious move to elevate the discourse of a dying industry

Calling it an "elevation of discourse" is laughable. It was a few comic book authors who were too pretentious to associate themselves with comic books, and later a bunch of manchildren who wanted comics to be taken seriously as literature. Let's not pretend it was anything more than that.
>>
>>7722936
>>7722943
>>7723117
>>7724751
>>7726277
>>7726420
>>7726444
>>7726465
FUCKING PLEBS

here are some recs for anyone who actually wants to read good comics:
-1-800-MICE
-ARSENE SCHRAUWEN
-LOSE
-EIGHTBALL
-ACME NOVELTY LIBRARY
-RAW
-ARCADE
-QVIET
-TEST TUBE
-LOSE
-DRESSING
-INNER CITY ROMANCE

THERE ARE MANY MORE BUT THESE SPRING TO MIND
>>
How many soccer moms are in this thread? Only they get triggered so hard at the word 'comic'
>>
>>7726516
So was Persepolis. I was parodying your post by writing the literary equivalent of normie classics.
>>
>>7726600
#1 Ad hominem, once again.

#2 It was much more than that. If you're actually interested check out Morrison's Supergods, also Kripal's Mutants and Mystics (these are books I'm suggesting). If you're not interested, by all means keep shitposting.

What you say is certainly a valid appraisal. All I'm saying is that it is a myopic view of things based entirely on your ignorance of the history of comics and the cultural impact this most low brow of pop art forms has had over the past 50 years.
>>
File: the anonymous man.jpg (26 KB, 400x316) Image search: [Google]
the anonymous man.jpg
26 KB, 400x316
>>7726601
You forgot Watchmen.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.