[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: a-midsummer-nights-dream.jpg (86 KB, 616x480) Image search: [Google]
a-midsummer-nights-dream.jpg
86 KB, 616x480
Curious what /lit/ thinks about this play, because I've always been very fond of it.

It's obviously not held in as high regard as his other plays, which I can totally understand due to its lighthearted nature, but I think it has some amazing qualities. The feel of the play is just totally enchanting. Whenever I read it I can vividly imagine a magical forest, fairies and beautiful, surreal parts of nature. It's still one of my favorite ever examples of fantasy because it's magical atmosphere is second to none IMO.
>>
>>7722754
I saw Midsummer Night's Dream at Shakespeare in the partk in new york around 5 or 6 years ago. A racoon wondered on stage and didn't really realize that he was surrounded by humans until he was practically in the middle of the stage. He then looked up and looked really confused. Looking at the audience and then at the actors and then back at the audience over and over until he just wandered off.

It's a good play though
>>
It it really not held in high regard? I mean just a quick look at wikipedia shows a wall of text it has over his other comedies. I'd say it's by far his most respected comedy, and has a place among his best work.

Better in text, though. I just can't laugh at actors trying too hard to be funny.
>>
>>7722816
>Better in text, though
Like most other plays.
>>
>>7722816
>>7722850

every movie adaptation of this play totally sucks. they seem to focus moreon the funny aspects and making the forest/fairies seem kind of grimey. I guess there's a place for that, but I would like to see one that focuses more on the beauty and enchantment and otherworldliness.
>>
>>7722816
Funnily enough Merchant of Venice is the most popular and frequently performed comedy.
>>
It's the greatest comedy ever written. I love it.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.