[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Dan Brown's novels so popular? I mean Angels and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 81-%2BZ-hkITL.jpg (346 KB, 1400x2175) Image search: [Google]
81-%2BZ-hkITL.jpg
346 KB, 1400x2175
Why are Dan Brown's novels so popular?

I mean Angels and Demons is alright, but The DaVinci Code and Inferno are just bad.
>>
>>7722209
Why is any genre fiction popular?

Because it is easily digested and offers an escape from reality.
>>
>>7722209
Things that are popular are bad.
More news at 11 folks
>>
>>7722209
>Inferno
If read as a parody of Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code it is comedy gold; all the twists can be seen a mile away, and is even more insane and convoluted than the first two.
>>
>>7722209
Everyone loves a scooby doo story
>>
>>7722228
Not all popular things are bad, and certainly not this bad. Compared to books of similar popularity and target audience, Dan Brown's novels are weaker than those similar.
>>
Pseudo-intellectualism. Paraphrasing from Family Guy:
>The chapters are like two pages long, it makes me feel so smart!
>>
>>7722209
I think I liked Dan Brown when I was 14. Most people think he writes amazing twists that are hard to keep up with.
>>
>>7722209
I only keep reading them because I have a guilty pleasure for conspiracy/secret society shit. I enjoy them, that doesnt mean I consider them art/lit though
>>
>>7722255
>Most people think he writes amazing twists that are hard to keep up with
This is the worst part about his books, they're so predictable. I normally get completely suckerpunched by twists in books and film, I'm horrible at seeing them, but his are so obvious.
>>
>>7722264
I have to admit, when I as a kid I thought they were pretty clever. I still have Angels and Demons and Deception Point because I have a thing about throwing books away. I read Angels and Demons again. God it was so bad. The writing itself is so dreary and the dialogue is real pleb stuff. Only an audience of illiterates could find them entertaining.

The short chapters really piss me off too.
>>
File: 1441475828017.jpg (54 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1441475828017.jpg
54 KB, 750x750
These books, Harry Potter, and Eragon are the only books my wife reads. Ever. She's read them all at least 4 times.
>>
They're so formulaic. Read a few one summer because I had no internet and no other books. The plots are all very templated. DaVinci Code? Spooky Catholic conspiracy. Lost Symbol? Spooky Freemason conspiracy. Digital Fortress? Spooky NSA conspiracy.
>>
>>7722298
>wife

>posts pepe
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.