[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, what are some good underground/underrated authors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 311x461) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 311x461
Hey /lit/, what are some good underground/underrated authors I should get into?
>>
There are none
An author is either well known and worth reading or unknown and not worth reading. Possible exception is new authors.
Op, dont fall into the trap of reading nobodys book
>>
>>7721745
Lovecraft didn't see fame until he was dead. I'm sure there are plenty of hidden treasures out there.
>>
File: image.jpg (283 KB, 1000x1519) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
283 KB, 1000x1519
Shameful self bump. Take Sherman Alexie for example, his shit is top tier but it doesn't get as much attention because no one cares about Indians.
>>
>>7721856
is national book award kind of plebby? last think i read with one of those on the cover was by some angsty black nerd and it was poorly written and rather bad, do they just give it out to minorities or can white ppl win them too
>>
"i want to be a hipster"

kill yourself faggot, i bet you havent even read 5% of the canon
>>
>>7721872
Yeah, like not good things that have won awards but arnt JRR Tolkien famous. Take the OP pic as an example, she's won awards and has a Nora Robberts type style but isn't a New York Times winner or anything, plus she's sexy.
>>7721884
Nah I just want to look into more diverse things.
>>
>>7721915
read the canon first retard then you earn the right to be "diverse"
>>
>>7721919
Not everyone wants to stick to hamlet and to the light house, why you so salty friend?
>>
>>7721968
>not wanting to read hamlet and to the lighthouse
>"literature interests me"

wew lad
>>
>>7721976
I've already read those.
I said "stick to", because I've already read Steinbeck and Chopin. Why is it such a big deal to take a break from famous literature?
>>
Melanie Rae Thon.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 435x645) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 435x645
>ppl mad that I'm tired of annotating Theban plays, Goerge Orwell and Allan Poe
Is lit really xenophobic of authors that aren't William Golding or Ray Bradbury?
>>7722040
Thanks!
>>
>>7722075
the fact that you thinks stuff like orwell, poe, golding , and bradbury are a good abstraction of "canon classics" means you don't know shit about literature and you shoudl learn and read the fucking canon before trying to read "diverse" shit
>>
>>7722102
I don't know why your getting so upset about my reading choice, it's like /co/ agruing over what children's cartoons are better. If you have a problem just ignore the thread and move on.
>>
>>7722040
do you have knowledge of her?
>>
>>7721727
>asks for underrated
>posts digital book award winner
Not hipster enough desu
>>
>>7721727
B A C K T O / M U /
A
C
K

T
O

/
M
U
/
>>
>>7722157
O-okay ...
>>
>>7721727
if no one reads them they are unread for a reason
>>
>>7721727
If get into her if you know what I mean
>>
>>7722164
No one reads Amanda Sun and I think she's pretty good
>>
>>7722040
>>
>>7722177
top kek
>>
>>7722196
my hard drive might be the only place the whole thread exists now? I tried to find it in the archive, but no archive? what the hell happened?
>>
>>7721727
>>7722075
>image
Who is this and why should I care?
>>7722232
Not sure. What me to make a similar thread?
>>
>>7722241
>not using reverse image search
Gee what a fag
>>
>>7721727
She's okay but I agree with >>7721919 it's best to stick to the big boys
>>
I like Russell Banks a lot. He's very rarely mentioned here, but I think he's a damn good writer.
>>
>>7722867
I've heard of a couple of his books but haven't actually gotten into any of them. Is there something particularly special about his works?
>>
>>7722867

Trailer Park was a good book. That last scene with the lottery money, rooted out of the ice fishing hut, flying about in the wind on the frozen lake was very memorable.

Fucking guinea pigs, man. Flora and her guinea pigs.
>>
>>7721919
fuck off, plenty of books outside the canon are better than some shoehorned in by rich white people reading about their whinings
>>
I heard that Lerner was pretty good. Someone on here said something about American lit being torn between Joyce and Hemingway and that Lerner was something of a bridge between the two a while back, so I'm kind of curious. Where would I start with him?
>>
>>7721755
Lovecraft isn't that good a writer.
>>
>>7722126
Oh boy, where to begin . . .
>>
>>7721727
Okay, where do I start?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 320x480
>>7723739
He's more intriguing than anything but /co/ sucks his cock way to much
>>7723752
Would definetly start with The Fire Inside then move on to Rogue Alliance and His Salvation
>>
>>7723704
Go back to tumblr
>>
>>7723776
Looks like one of those light dramas my 13 yo sister would read
>>
Anthony Trollope and George Gissing will have you wondering how the hell did Dickens become the famous one.
>>
>>7721872
National Book award was bretty gud until the last few years, when they started ticking SJW boxes. Before that they had fairly good taste.
Fortune Smile won recently, and that is a super strong collection that isn't pandering to SJW tastes.
What you're referring to is the winner of the non-fic prize this year, which was that Ta-Nehsi Coates shit.
>>
>>7721872
Past winners include Faulkner, Walker Percy, Updike, Bellow, Flannery O'Connor, John Williams, Thomas "The Meme" Pynchon, Delillo, Cormac McCarthy, Denis Johnson
>>
>>7722335
I reverse imaged and got nothing.
>posting such a generic photo of a total nobody
what a fag
>>7722232
Post that shit, son
>>
notes from underground
>>
>>7724089
>Post that shit, son

OK, so I saved the thread twice. I think i went to bed in between, but it's good because there were some deletions. each folder has subfolders for the HTML and the thumbnail images.

I just compressed everything and put it here

https://mega.nz/#!AJITRD5L!ar9X6kOnAkTYIAAbjZIDMX1zo1EbvwsDTrYeSialpT8

when I click an HTML file, the whole thing opens in my browser so I guess this will work but if not maybe we can figure it out

hopefully the archive will come back online in the future but I'm glad I saved this thread, it's my personal favorite. I can't tell if this >>7722040
was a serious rec or another oldfag memeing but it was pretty funny to see the name again
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.