[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /lit/ hate this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: gaiman.jpg (248 KB, 1024x1363) Image search: [Google]
gaiman.jpg
248 KB, 1024x1363
Why does /lit/ hate this guy?
>>
Because he hasn't read Pynchon.
>>
>>7721226
Just like with his wife, I would liked him much more if I didn't know him as a person.
>>
>>7721226
He's popular among normals and writes genre fiction and is also a bad writer. What more of a reason do you need?
>>
He's a bad writer popular with the reddit crowd.

He's book Dr. Who.
>>
>>7721300
He's book Imagine Dragons.
>>
>>7721226
He's a bad writer.
>>
>>7721226
Good Omens is one of my favorite books, I love this guy. Neverwhere was pretty solid too
>>
File: you wot m8.jpg (32 KB, 620x374) Image search: [Google]
you wot m8.jpg
32 KB, 620x374
>>7721226
He's a comfy folklore dude, it's just a vocal minorty who yell "reddit" about anything popular.
>>
>>7721226
Only read one of his books. American Gods. Got hyped up for it by the internet and all my friends.

Never again. A clusterfuck of plot and theme decorated with uninteresting characters.

Coraline as a movie was pretty neat, tho, so I give him 6/10 and a gold star sticker.
>>
i loved sandman, and i was excited to read american gods, but i was barely able to make it through the first chapter. he writes like a talented but sheltered and inexperienced highschool sophomore who's too eager to prove that he's not a kid anymore.
>>
>>7721226
Made fun of Lovecraft for his shitty writing style when his own writing is even shittier.
>>
>>7721265
>>7721267
>>7721300
>>7721347
This and this
>>7721401
Fucking hack. Sandman was good, coraline OK, AG and AB mediocre, his other comics crap. I don't understand why the mainstream loves him so much more than his countrymen, the bearded druid and transhuman, who both put out better comics and fiction and in Ellis' case, non fiction.
>>
>/lit/ is one person

I am completely indifferent.
>>
He basically writes for teenage girls who think they're artists. He's also a hipster's hipster among writers, as whenever he's unveiling an obscure little tidbit, he seems to let the audience know that this-is-something-only-few-know, and only-people-from-the-sekri-tclubhouse-know-about.
>>
>>7721527
>his other comics crap
I liked Black Orchid. Sandman Overture was shit, though, although it was the art that made me drop it after the second or third issue.
>>
File: percy.jpg (47 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
percy.jpg
47 KB, 500x250
I once overheard a student compare Sandman to Ulysses because of its heavy mythological allusion.
>>
>>7721564
He has pretty stellar taste in fantasy and him talking about novels he likes is great.
That said I've only read American Gods which wasn't very good.
>>
Because he's gay, man
>>
>>7721226
He has a book called trigger warning
>>
I like his horror stories. but can't stand his modern fairytales or modernized mythology stories.
>>
>>7721265
This. Also, he can't match Sandman and his works are getting annoying.
>>
I grew up on Terry Pratchett (who I still think is funny), so I really enjoyed Good Omens. I don't know how it holds up, but I remember really liking it.

Sandman is cool.
>>
He seems to always get a great reception here so idk what you're talking about.
Me personally, I owe it to Gaiman he is the reason I even got into more advanced "real" literature. I suspect many people have a similar relationship with him. A great guy to help you take of your training wheels and become curious about literature.
>>
is it pronounced Gayman or Guyman?
>>
>>7721226
too popular
>>
File: cor-lob-07x324.jpg (10 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
cor-lob-07x324.jpg
10 KB, 250x237
>>7722451

Wasn't he taking the piss out with that title? He got targeted pretty hard by the tumblr/twitter crowd a few months back.
>>
>>7722703
gay min
>>
>>7722695

gr8 b8
>>
love his comics, haven't read his prose, plan to keep it that way.
>>
He gives money to scientology.
>>
>>7721380
"Comfy folklore dude" is a good way to put it. His variations on Marvel characters in "1602" was cool and "Stardust" had a lot of clever conceits; it was like a very low octane "Lord of the Rings".
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>7722703
GAY MEN
>>
Ocean at the End of the Lane was pretty good to be honest senpai
>>
>>7721397

This.
>>
File: photo-26.jpg (534 KB, 1216x1632) Image search: [Google]
photo-26.jpg
534 KB, 1216x1632
>literally has a book called trigger warning

When I was flipping through the pages he explained why it was called that and I thought it was the most retarded thing ever. Thanks Obama
>>
Honestly a meme tier genre author with no discernible talent. I'm not even memeing.
>>
>>7722429
Kek

Nothing against him, personally, he is neither a god of literature nor a complete loser, pretty much a regular writer
>>
I've just bought his latest short story collection, Trigger Warnings (seriously).
I read the introduction. It was quite hard to swallow. There was a lot of:

>'This story was written in honour of my super-bestie-friend, (Insert Very Notable Author)'
> 'I was worried about how this story would be received, but I shouldn't have been, because it won (Prestigious Award) AND EVERYBODY LOVED IT.'

Not quite humblebragging but not NOT humblebragging, either.

As far as his talent goes...
He's a solid, imaginative storyteller. Work probably best enjoyed as part of a wide, varied diet. Some of his tropey ideas and tics can grate, or seem overfamiliar, but I enjoyed 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane,' which was a really solid little piece of fantasy. His prose is not as bad as is often claimed. I have absolutely no interest in this whole 'Sandman' mythos, though.
>>
He wrote "Snow, Glass, Apples", Stardust and Neverwhere. He's alright by me.

I don't know what anons are talking about when they say he's a bad writer but then English is only my second language.
>>
>>7725309
Holy fuck that's real!
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.